SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I agree with sled bunny.

Essentials are in my back pack.

But the bulk of the weight is in my tunnel bag or stuffed where possible on my sled.

In my opinion getting separated from your sled is one of the worst things that can happen to you.

People don’t think it happen but it does. You have to be able to survive with out or for 2 days.

My back pack has first aid, fire starter, soup, power bars, rope, matches, lighter, something to melt snow, extra cloths etc.
Some duplication on the sled but my (and buddies) survival for 2 days is the most important.
That being said, if I’m not AST1 Trained (and I am) and go down in an Avy because of bad choices none of this matters...lol

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People don’t think it happen but it does. You have to be able to survive with out or for 2 days.

My back pack has first aid, fire starter, soup, power bars, rope, matches, lighter, something to melt snow, extra cloths etc.
Some duplication on the sled but my (and buddies) survival for 2 days is the most important.
That being said, if I’m not AST1 Trained (and I am) and go down in an Avy because of bad choices none of this matters...lol
No sure what the circumstance was where buddy lost his sled, but I ride with two other pretty level headed guys. We all pretty much carry redundant survival gear.

If we loose all three sleds we are in big trouble and will be calling for a heli asap.
Sat phone is in the backback.

Downside to having a really heavy pack is that if you are in an Avi the weight is going to counter the bouyant force of your balloon.

And a heavy pack will tire you out faster and big mistakes will happen when you ride tired.

So it's all about ballance, imo.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
No sure what the circumstance was where buddy lost his sled, but I ride with two other pretty level headed guys. We all pretty much carry redundant survival gear.

If we loose all three sleds we are in big trouble and will be calling for a heli asap.
Sat phone is in the backback.

Downside to having a really heavy pack is that if you are in an Avi the weight is going to counter the bouyant force of your balloon.

And a heavy pack will tire you out faster and big mistakes will happen when you ride tired.

So it's all about ballance, imo.

The group got separated in a storm, he was bucked off his sled. His group looked but could not find him.
Not a common situation but is a worse case. Sort of like the guy that was separated from his group in Revy last season on his snowbike and spent the night on the mountain.
It happens.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are you going to get it out when the sled is in a tree well and you can’t open the side panel? ;)
Haha I hear yeah, hopefully it's on the right side. Lol

I carry a folding saw in my handle bar bag, but I don't have a picture of it.

Just trying to carry the best saw possible short of a chainsaw.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just bought a vacuum sealer for wild game. One of the tips and tricks in the owners manual was sealing survival essentials. We keep a lot of stuff in our machines, (not mountain riders by any stretch!) and some of it has come out I the past, wet and unusable. Already have 2 new first aid kits, extra sled oil (had one of those leak once too, what a mess!) all sealed up ready to get packed.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I love these threads... in the past 3-4 years i have gone from being way under prepared to having everything in my pack or sled that people have posted.

Don’t want to have to put it to use but if required it nice to have.
Got caught in a snow storm (7 of us) in Sicamouse and dug in for what looked like a nights stay. This is before I packed to spend a night.
Would have been fine but the little things would have been nice.
4 hours later and storm slowed down and we made our way out. Nothing like arriving at work after driving all night either...lol

Last edited:

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vacuum sealer is the ticket, I have a heavy pair of wool socks, the good old fashion brown mittens, heavy balaclava and good matches and vacuum sealed together and it takes up next to nothing in the bottom of my pack, every need it, its dry and ready,.

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good info in this thread so far??. I agree with most people. My tools for sled and spare belt all go on my sled. First aid kit. Lunch and survival gear stay in my pack.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just bought a vacuum sealer for wild game. One of the tips and tricks in the owners manual was sealing survival essentials. We keep a lot of stuff in our machines, (not mountain riders by any stretch!) and some of it has come out I the past, wet and unusable. Already have 2 new first aid kits, extra sled oil (had one of those leak once too, what a mess!) all sealed up ready to get packed.

I always use heavy zip-loc freezer bags for extra socks and keep a few large ones in my pack in case I get a "booter". Dry socks with a zip loc over top can save some toes if your boots are soaked & freezing.
Never even thought of using a vacuum sealer for spare and emergency clothes. - fantastic idea!

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a question about the vacuum sealer. Something like heavy wool socks i don't know if you can compress them enough to get all the air out. Would they not still get moisture in the bag lets say over 10 outings and get a bad odor starting because they can breathe or be damp when you need them. I use Zip locks and open them at night in motel so it all dries. Lot of work though,packing and unpacking. Whats your thoughts?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a question about the vacuum sealer. Something like heavy wool socks i don't know if you can compress them enough to get all the air out. Would they not still get moisture in the bag lets say over 10 outings and get a bad odor starting because they can breathe or be damp when you need them. I use Zip locks and open them at night in motel so it all dries. Lot of work though,packing and unpacking. Whats your thoughts?
Double bagger

kfrey

Reaction score
IMG_3814.JPG IMG_5952.JPG
I keep a small set of double pulleys and rope. Two guys can pull a sled back uphill with it.
I also carry a drybag with overnight and safety gear which fits on my rack. Haven't used it myself yet but have been able to help several other people so far. Radios, food, in reach, first aid, snow analysis kit, bivy, etc., all in pack or on the sled.
With this setup I could carry gas too , if needed.
Ya its an extra 15 pounds but the sled doesn't care too much.

Top Bottom