Personal truck, for company use

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you are getting paid 54000 a year for the truck. So I go buy a new truck for 40,000. I drive the piss out of it for a year. I put tires on it, plus some repairs. I then sell the truck next year for 20,000 to 30,000. I don't see how you cant make money on the deal unless you abuse the truck.

Lmao. If it was only that easy. Truck isn't abused but it is used. And yes I guess that would work but would have to take the truck way south cause all 1tons that get 8-10000km on them a month are only driven to church on Sundays and owned by little old lady's.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I can give you only what I know from construction. Oil patch in my eyes company truck or phuck off..... Or your gunna pay me out the ass ...but for me 0.42/km pays me enough to haul the odd tools and te odd materials to get me to and from site. And to top it off I get 3,500-4,000 back in taxes a year... That's not a bad deal in my eyes. More than pays for my truck for the year

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on how to word the title of this thread??? I work for a good company, and have in my agreement that I always have a company vehicle. We are expanding at a stoopid rate, and are out of spare trucks at the moment. I have agreed to use my personal truck for work for the next week, or less. They are willing to pay me $0.45/km, is this a good or going rate?
After reading through all these posts I would say you are the only one who knows for sure what conditions your going to be getting into.

For me personally, if I respect the company I worked for, and knew that the truck was going to go into easy conditions under my control, I wouldnt have a problem with that deal.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The "government rate" is $0.52/km for personal vehicle. That is what they pay for me to go to sled shows. So, Tourism Fernie, under the umbrella of Tourism BC, pays me quite well. It will probably go up considerably after the upcoming election as the "people's party" likes to spend tax payers money.

So for you guys banging around in the patch or on construction sites there should be room for negotiation but then again, maybe there isn't because too many guys are willing to use their vehicles for less.....:)

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay myself .60 per km for mileage. My accountant told me that it is a rate that you can get away with, since I use my trailer for tools and materials and such from time to time.
When I worked for a construction company, I got .46 per, and that would easily pay for gas and maintenance.

Just remember that if you carry tools for work, you are required to get commercial insurance. That can also be a negotiating tool.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The "government rate" is $0.52/km for personal vehicle. That is what they pay for me to go to sled shows. So, Tourism Fernie, under the umbrella of Tourism BC, pays me quite well. It will probably go up considerably after the upcoming election as the "people's party" likes to spend tax payers money.

So for you guys banging around in the patch or on construction sites there should be room for negotiation but then again, maybe there isn't because too many guys are willing to use their vehicles for less.....:)

Where I work if there is no fleet vehicle available it's .54/Km

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay myself .60 per km for mileage. My accountant told me that it is a rate that you can get away with, since I use my trailer for tools and materials and such from time to time.
When I worked for a construction company, I got .46 per, and that would easily pay for gas and maintenance.

Just remember that if you carry tools for work, you are required to get commercial insurance. That can also be a negotiating tool.

cant comment on thr $/km as mine are all patch but am paid .50/km for unchargeable kms (fuel supplied) so I imagine that would be compareable our chargeable kms are much higher however as far as the commercial goes when I got busted running personal plates it was 300ish ticket it cost $170 to register just under 4500kgs however ins dropped $200

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too have been using my vehicle for company business, get paid a monthly vehicle allowance, my suggestions would be:
~ make sure you claim your vehicle depreciation, i think it is 15% for the first year for a new vehicle and then 30% but the total value allowed is capped at 30k
~ make sure you keep all receipts including fuel
~ make you log your work mileage, note vehicle mileage at beginning of year and end of year as it will help you when it comes time for file your taxes
~ if you get a monthly allowance make sure they tax it right from the get go or as in my case I pay that 40% every time you file your taxes - sucks!
~ we pay .50 / km for most employees

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even at .55/km that my company pays, I still get them to rent me a truck if I need one for company business. At the end of the day I feel it's not worth using my personal truck, if I damage my personal truck, hit a deer, etc, I would think I'm on the hook for the repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: GRD

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All my mileage with different companies has been paid out at the CRA allowable rate for the year (changes occasionally). Here's the link: Automobile allowance rates. For this year it's $0.54/km for the first 5000km.

This is also the rate my accountant uses when determining a cost for applicable mileage that has not been already paid out (i.e. if the company pays the mileage expense, you can not also claim the same miles and applicable expenses on your tax return - kind of double dipping).

If you're going to be using your vehicle for a lot of miles, it may be to your advantage to keep track of the business miles, as well as all your expenses (gas, tires, oil, etc) and claim these on your tax return as they will likely be more than $0.54/km if you have a larger vehicle. If it's only a short time, or for a few miles, or you have a smaller vehicle and/or cheaper operating costs, simply claiming (or getting paid from your company) at the standard rate will be a better option (no receipts required in this case).

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All my mileage with different companies has been paid out at the CRA allowable rate for the year (changes occasionally). Here's the link: Automobile allowance rates. For this year it's $0.54/km for the first 5000km.

This is also the rate my accountant uses when determining a cost for applicable mileage that has not been already paid out (i.e. if the company pays the mileage expense, you can not also claim the same miles and applicable expenses on your tax return - kind of double dipping).

If you're going to be using your vehicle for a lot of miles, it may be to your advantage to keep track of the business miles, as well as all your expenses (gas, tires, oil, etc) and claim these on your tax return as they will likely be more than $0.54/km if you have a larger vehicle. If it's only a short time, or for a few miles, or you have a smaller vehicle and/or cheaper operating costs, simply claiming (or getting paid from your company) at the standard rate will be a better option (no receipts required in this case).

Another here paid out at CRA rates. Makes you wonder where the rest of the money is going if you are paid less, as I am sure the company is claiming the full CRA rate plus maintenance and operating costs.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is two sides to this, we have company trucks or get an allowance, but its per month flat rate. A guy had to do work a province over and completely miles his truck out and the flat rate didnt cover the loss. If he was per mile it would have been worth it.

We also had guys that got a flat rate allowance but didnt use them for more than a private vehicle just the od one or twice a month in town trip. So they hired a new guy same position as them and he was like do i get a truck? Do i get an allowance? And they said no not on the table and took the allowances away and have to use a company truck. The existing guys got raises to match the allowance. New guy did not.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get $0.52/km all on highway and fuel is not covered. Even driving my dually I make out really well, if I'm in my car I laugh all the way to the bank.

magnet32

Reaction score
I get .50/km and they pay all fuel , and get all tires/repairs through company at discount rates .

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I charge a $1 per km to clients for my truck and never had a complaint

Sent from my Note2

Top Bottom