Perfect Timing

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Refrigerator is dying. Got it to start running again but its life isnt going to last long.

I dont want fancy stuff. just need a normal fridge but a well built one. Anyone know brands to look at and brands to stay away from?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your going to get a bunch of conflicting opinion here I think.

Our LG has been good for 7 years, it's got the linear compressor in it (no longer made), but it's subject to a big class action suit in the US due to poor reliability.

Parents have a GE with freezer on top, just the plain white one with single freezer door and single fridge door. Its going on 23 flawless years now. Honestly if cost and reliability is the goal I'd get one of those, and they're still less than a $1000.

My wife "needed" stainless, so we paid 3 times as much for our LG double door with water dispenser and icemaker with the slide out freezer below. Now she hates kid finger prints all over it.

• Haha
Reactions: zal

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a stainless Maytag bottom freezer about 5 years ago. No issues, however it is a bit noisy..

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Todatys refrigerators are built to last a finite life span. I've got a fridge at my mom's garage at the farm that a friend gave to me. Deal was if you can get it out of my basement you can have if for free. I thought to myself that would make an excellent beer fridge. Took three men and a boy to get it up the stairs, That was about 30 years ago, and I believe it was 40 years old when he gave it away. She still works. Lights dim in the neighborhood when she starts but she still works. I believe she's a 1953 Gibson

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, my Samsung is going on 11 years now, but I’ve also had to fix it 3 times, and I can’t use the water dispenser thanks to an internal water leak. Also if you get a power outage, it won’t turn back on until you reset it on the front buttons, so it just sits all day and gets warm if you have a 10 second outage at 9am while you are at work. Moral of the story, would not buy again, and will not let my wife choose based on which one “looks the best” again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: zal

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our $5000 five door KitchenAid just bit the bullet. Seven friggin years old. Picked up a normal bottom freezer stainless GE from Costco. Around 1500 shipped to my door, and they took away the old one. Appliance repair guy says they are all junk, but GE is not bad

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Todatys refrigerators are built to last a finite life span. I've got a fridge at my mom's garage at the farm that a friend gave to me. Deal was if you can get it out of my basement you can have if for free. I thought to myself that would make an excellent beer fridge. Took three men and a boy to get it up the stairs, That was about 30 years ago, and I believe it was 40 years old when he gave it away. She still works. Lights dim in the neighborhood when she starts but she still works. I believe she's a 1953 Gibson
Hold my beer. Oh wait…this fridge has been doing it for over 20yrs for me…
1939 GE. I found a tag on the compressor when I took it all apart to paint it 20 some years ago. Came out of our family cabin and grandma had “refinished” it with a fluffy roller at some point.
IMG_1386.jpeg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw a decent looking stainless fridge at rona for 1000$ had the slide out freezer, double door top. Not sure what brand.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Our Samsung is 4 years old and the ice maker has already given me grief. Rumor has it that a lot of people are not satisfied with Samsung Fridges. YouTube video was great at restoring it back to normal and it was just pushing buttons on the front for automatic defrost. Apparently, the ice maker isn’t sealed properly from the fridge section and there is a lot of ice build up in the ice making component. It did take a lot of cycles to melt the ice build up.
We don’t have kids around so the finger prints aren’t a problem. My better half likes the stainless appliances but what we have learned is that there are different qualities of stainless and in most situations with regards to the stainless is that you get what you pay for.
The most expensive appliance that we ever bought (in a particular appliance) was a Miele dishwasher. Top of the line SS inside and out. Easy to clean and awesome appliance. I don’t know anything about Miele fridges but they are probably above my pay grade.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Built a new house about 20yrs ago. All new appliances. Either black or black glass fronts. Stainless was becoming popular at that time, but I learned that most units use aluminum and not actually stainless steel.

Whirlpool washer/drier
Jennair oven/microwave/dishwasher
Wolf gas cooktop
Armana fridge.

I have worked on every single one except for the microwave (🤞🏼). Some units multiple times.
The fridge is a simple single door, bottom roll out freezer layout. The fridge had a minor electrical problem early in its life, but has been good now for years. The issue related to the fan/louvre setup as the cold air “blows” up into the fridge area. I wouldn’t bother buying this layout again.
Simple is best, although I think Armana is probably ok (can’t remember who they’re made by).

For the record… we’re on hard well water (but I have a water softener). Replaced the dishwasher years ago. Second one is a kitchenaid. Full stainless inside, super quiet, but I'm not confident how long it’ll last either. Washer/dryer both give bi-annual issues, cleaning the soap tray and replacing the dryer thermostat/temp switches (I keep spares on hand) seem to keep this junk running.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have pulled my 3 year old samsung apart to change a fan, because it was not cooking at all. it is working good again. i ordered a second fan.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Samsung had lots of ice maker and frosting issues in the past. mine is defrosting as i type right now. needs to be done every 5-10 days.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a Samsung fridge for 12 plus years. Not fancy just the freezer on the bottom. It’s been good. But does make the odd concerning noise the past few years. Not sure if Bosch makes fridges but if they I’d get one of those. We v8 went through dish washers every year like they were free. The Bosch has been awesome.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Bosch dishwasher. We had a problem with the main pump. So I decided to take it apart and see what could be done. First thing I notice is the whole bottom comes off to make it easy to work on. I notice the propeller on the pump came loose. I called around for a replacement and it was in the hundreds of dollars, I had to buy the whole pump. I took the pump out made sure it dried for a few days and gorilla glued it back in place(propeller). It been going strong now for to years.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My bosch dishwasher is approx 23 years old and still working as brand new. last year the drain line plugged so I ordered a new one from Costco. But after unhooking the drain line and unplugging it I cancelled the Costco one. Snopro is right about your window for good stuff was about 20 years ago

Top Bottom