Pellet Stove or no Pellet Stove??

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know all that but why pay someone else to make the pellets and increase the cost of the wood going into the stove. How about the auger in the event of prolonged power outages? I can harvest my wood no more than 5 km from our house and I only cut dead wood (no green wood). That is also a benefit as to where we live.
He lives in Red Deer Doug, wood is not easily available such as in most of BC. Pellet is also nice if you don't like or don't have the time to get wood as well it requires less tending to, just keep the hopper full no muss no fuss. Downsides are costs more than wood and doesn't throw as much heat.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a Harmon, for 2 years it was great we burned a bag of pellets every 24 hours. On the 3rd winter we started to get smoke in the house after about 2 years of trying to fix the leak, I sold it at an auction. We work with our local dealer and even sent it to Vancouver, I believe we cracked the heat exchanger.

I loved the wood heat and I would go with a stove or gas after what we went through.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not exactly how it works, outdoor boilers can adapt to any existing heating system, forced air or radiant etc. Mine is efficient enough it meets local codes and was even designed to burn indoors. Yes we go and get wood but really isn't that much effort.

I'm sure they are great. But I'm not trying to replace my forced air furnace. I'm not totally against a wood stove ether I actually like them better. but it adds a big cost as I would have to build a chimney chase up 2.5 stories, and they don't make my siding anymore. So I'd have to cover it in rock to match the front of the house so now where into big cash!! I think when I moved in and had my other chimney done it was $6800 just for the rock, and that was 8 years ago.
But buying wood or buying pellets probably a wash or close enough

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I'm sure they are great. But I'm not trying to replace my forced air furnace. I'm not totally against a wood stove ether I actually like them better. but it adds a big cost as I would have to build a chimney chase up 2.5 stories, and they don't make my siding anymore. So I'd have to cover it in rock to match the front of the house so now where into big cash!! I think when I moved in and had my other chimney done it was $6800 just for the rock, and that was 8 years ago.

I agree. I would need 27 ft of chimney pipe just to go up the side of my house. Tuff to clean that length by yourself to. Friggen houses are to close together and to high

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. I would need 27 ft of chimney pipe just to go up the side of my house. Tuff to clean that length by yourself to. Friggen houses are to close together and to high

Mines 100 years old so space between houses is not the problem! Drilling threw true 2x8 fir joists or the 10' concrete is good times !

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I hear ya'. Chimney is expensive and keeping the exterior compatible is sometimes a chore and as Mike says, "Tuff to clean that length to.....". That would be a real pita.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we heat our house with an air tight stove all winter, burn about 4-5 cords a winter and only burn dry poplar from the farmers in the area, no cost just the time and chainsaw. our gas bill on average for our 1500 sf house is 70.00 a month, and the wife cooks with a gas stove. hate the sound and heat from our furnace, the heat from the wood stove is more constant.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the cost for a cord of wood split and delivered nowadays? I have a sick friend who I would like to help out.
Sorry for off topic.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't know you lived in town. Either way it is something to look into. Here is a link to the unit we run. G Series | Heatmaster SS Wood Burning Outdoor Furnaces We have had pellet stoves and furnaces in other homes we have owned but this is by far the best source of heat we have ever owned. It is especially ideal if you have infloor radiant heat. I hate the idea of purchasing anything more then we have too especially when it stuff you can get for free but that is a perk of living where we do. I know its no realistic to have a unit like this. If you must go pellet I would recommend a harmon, we had 2 of them, yes they can be pricey but I think its the best bang for your buck

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not totally against a wood stove ether I actually like them better. but it adds a big cost as I would have to build a chimney chase up 2.5 stories

That was the exact reason I went with a pellet stove over a wood stove. Chimney is eezy peezy and cheap. As it turns out the pellet stove didn't increase my insurance nearly as much as a conventional wood stove would have either, and I don't miss busting my azz getting fire wood one bit. Bag a day and automatic control is pretty hard to beat.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking $150-$200 Merv. That may not be the case if the wood lot is further away.

That would be the price for broken pallets in Red Deer, I think I paid around $380 for birch and I had to drive 40min each way to get it.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pellet or wood if you want it, if you are doing it for cheap heat I don't think you can beat gas.
Had pellet when I lived in BC, nice heat.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grain is for Alcohol....

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about a grain burning stove? Anybody have experience with those?
Young man that works for us knows people, maybe his relatives, that burn shelled corn in their pellet stove, which is now less than 3.50/bushel at 56 pounds, which is cheap. I actually don't know any more about it.

bootsnixon

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the grain smoke smells like. Good question. I was thinking a grain stove might have the convenience of the pellet stoves at a lower price. Just not sure how well they work. From a little googling it seems like guys who use it as a primary source of heat want pretty clean grain for consistency but I'm just looking for a secondary heat source.

Top Bottom