Owning a Vacation Rental Property.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
although CR intrigues me and have been there (never seen it rain so hard!) I would lean towards Mexico just for the simple reason we can get there on a direct flight from Kelowna. I travel for work a fair bit so I am getting a bit "lazy" to travel for my personal holidays. 4.5 - 5 hrs and we are in PV which is very attractive for me. As for Shuswap deal, yes it is a good one. We give our notice to either leave or stay in Nov and pay for the season end of April. No long term commitments other than yearly and can leave anytime.

Yep I hear yah. It’s a long flight to stumble around in the sun. Mexico has its appeal but I’m out when it comes to the tourist areas. I like quite locals only areas.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VRBO, Home Away and Airbnb. Lots of research needed before purchasing a property to use in a rental pool.

I would look at it as an investment property not personal use.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We find snow quality and depth similar to Revy but more places to ride than riders to ride it. That can be a wonderful thing but if you don't bring your own group you might be riding alone. In Revy you can just show up and hook up with someone. In 10 days or riding last December near Nelson we ran into 2 other riders.

Well what the heck......I did a little research online, and you are right. Very similar annual snowfalls. I never would have guessed that. We arent that far away at all and dont get anywhere near that. I can definitely relate to not sharing the riding areas with many people. Its crazy to go out a week after a giant dump of snow and find unlimited untouched. We have been to Revy 1 day after a massive dump and had a hard time finding fresh. A guy gets spoiled in the koots.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a cottage on Christina Lake BC for 21 year's. We sold it 3 years ago because the kids grew up and it was costly in Time and Money to keep it going for the few weeks a year were using it with our kids. We solved those two problems when we sold it. What we didn't realize was that even though we were spending a lot of time on maintenance (lawns, gardens, structures etc) we were still getting out of town. Now that we have nothing to "tie us down" we find that we stay home and work. It took us 3 years to figure out that there is always something to do at home and it's nice to have a reason to go away. So we are going to purchase another recreational property.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking Revelstoke or Sicamous,
But really would be open to any sled friendly destination. Ie Nelson,golden?

I could only use it in the winter months due to work. So I would like to maybe try and rent it out to try and offset some of the costs of ownership.

Thinking condo or townhouse for minimum upkeep. Although a garage would be nice to park sleds.
There are the toy boxes for sale in sicamous, big tall garage you can back it a truck and deck or 2 with sleds on and close the door

Great places, if you want a good realtor in sicamous p. M me I'll give ya his number

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are the toy boxes for sale in sicamous, big tall garage you can back it a truck and deck or 2 with sleds on and close the door

Great places, if you want a good realtor in sicamous p. M me I'll give ya his number
Have you been in one of them?
What do you think.
Two bad they are not two bedroom.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There sweet really, the garage does take up room tho, but I thought I seen some were 2 rooms
Oh I haven't seen a two bedroom come on the market yet, I will have to watch for that.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents live east of Sherwood Park and they have a vacation place on Kootenay lake by Ainsworth.

I like that they have it as it's a nice place to go, even if I only get there once a year.

But watching Dad, it looks like it's a pain in the ass. When hes at home he constantly panics and worries about the lake lot and what needs to be done. And when hes at the lake lot hes worried and panicking about all the work he needs to do on the acerage.

I guess it's more what you make of it. And how up kept you want to keep both properties.

The other issue is he needs to find some one to look after either place while they aren't there.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Any property needs a lot of love and maintenance. It is a nightmare to try to keep two properties in top notch shape these days with the effects of the sun. One can't really enjoy oneself at a recreation property when there is work to be done. I know, as we have a sweet recreational property in the eastern Kootenays. We live here full time and the maintenance work is crazy (but it depends on what you think is needed). If you want top dollar when you sell, you would be amazed at how run down a property gets after 5 years.

If one rents a property, the maintenance would be even higher because tenants don't give a chit. Lots of tenants just go to another place to have a big time party instead of wrecking their own. I see it out here all the time. B&B's are run down, yards are terrible, and the exterior needs paint/caulking/etc..

Our recreational property has served it's function (it was for us to recreate) and when the recreation is over it will sell and be a very well maintained property. No work will have to be done for the people who buy it other than changing colours if they so desire. But that comes at a huge cost of time and labor to keep it in pristine shape.

Top Bottom