Our days are numbered.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
stop access to back country and problem solved with quads and sleds being back there. i feel bad for those in the area.

they did the exact same with Quads and then reduced the sled trails in the Castle are, east side of the Rockies.

understand than the NDP will continue to do this across your province, and they will chip away in different locations so a unified resistance cant occur. death by a 1000 cuts.

Alberta got some good support from first nations groups(krazy i know) when it came to their rights being curtailed by any type of access closure. they are about the only group the NDP does not want to fug with. just some food for thought.

start the organisation and resistance now. check these guys out. they have been fighting for 4 years now. they should be able to help with strategies.

https://www.facebook.com/CoalitionofAlbertans/

This has nothing to do with the NDP. This is private land and the land owner is logging. Two years ago, the same thing happened in that area. The only hope there is is the management agreement with Rec and Trails in that within that agreement, the "trail" has to be put back to the same shape as it was when they started. But being private land, it is all in the hands of the land owner.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another reminder.

Canfor ripped up the trail which was/is situated on Crown land at Corbin.

Canwel is the private land holder doing the logging around Fernie.

Canwel and Canfor are not the same company.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad I stumbled across this as I would have been that guy that drove all the way to Corbin site to find out it has been closed . Should change the Thread title to Corbin Trail closed

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Another reminder.

Canfor ripped up the trail which was/is situated on Crown land at Corbin.

Canwel is the private land holder doing the logging around Fernie.

Canwel and Canfor are not the same company.
Another interesting tid-bit: when I was the secretary of the FSA, I was working with a gentleman from Tembec so that we could expand the Coal Creek staging area into the bush, he said we couldn't because of the Heritage Trail. Tembec property and they respected the trail. No, we couldn't relocate the trail and no we couldn't expand the staging in that direction. This year with CanWel, I see the trail is totally destroyed. Interesting how things just happen.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another interesting tid-bit: when I was the secretary of the FSA, I was working with a gentleman from Tembec so that we could expand the Coal Creek staging area into the bush, he said we couldn't because of the Heritage Trail. Tembec property and they respected the trail. No, we couldn't relocate the trail and no we couldn't expand the staging in that direction. This year with CanWel, I see the trail is totally destroyed. Interesting how things just happen.

Traditional access is very tough to shut down . Have dealt with a few and in all have had to consult with groups and provide another form of access if required .
When FMA holder has dealt with clubs they will provide alternative access until work has been completed.
Shutting it down wasn’t option or possible .
Not sure about Heritage trail ?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
97F42445-26EB-4F31-BFBC-8A268BF945A9.jpg
This picture is pretty standard staging area where I ride. Don’t block the road and don’t block any work and please have a radio. Never had any issues. Most times they will push open a spot to park. Don’t be hauling in enclosed trailers though.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder, was Canfor working for Canwel?

It wouldn't work that way. Canwell owns private land so they are likely selling it to Canfor but Canfor would just be buying the wood as it shows up at their scales. Canwell would be responsible for logging on their land and selling the logs to whoever pays the most.

Canfor IS Canwel

Canfor merged with Weldwood back in the late 80's early 90's ...the name was changed to Canfor-Weldwood. In the mid 90's the name was officially changed to Canwel.

Just no. Weldwood was purchased by West Fraser in 2004. Canfor bought Northwood in 1999 and then Slocan in 2005 but there was never a name amalgamation it's still just Canfor. Canwell is Canwell building supplies who recently bought Jemi Fibre from Mike Jenks. Jemi, now Canwell has significant private forest land holdings in the Kootenays. There is no relation between Canfor and Canwell both are publicly traded companies.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't work that way. Canwell owns private land so they are likely selling it to Canfor but Canfor would just be buying the wood as it shows up at their scales. Canwell would be responsible for logging on their land and selling the logs to whoever pays the most.

Just no. Weldwood was purchased by West Fraser in 2004. Canfor bought Northwood in 1999 and then Slocan in 2005 but there was never a name amalgamation it's still just Canfor. Canwell is Canwell building supplies who recently bought Jemi Fibre from Mike Jenks. Jemi, now Canwell has significant private forest land holdings in the Kootenays. There is no relation between Canfor and Canwell both are publicly traded companies.

well, this is from Canwel's annual report from 2005.....(maybe the forestry division is different?)

Item 3 Corporate Structure
3.1 Name, Address and Incorporation
CanWel Building Materials Ltd. (“CanWel” or the “Company”) was incorporated pursuant to the Company Act
(British Columbia) on November 24, 1988 under the name 355241 British Columbia Ltd. CanWel changed its name to
Canfor Distribution Ltd. on January 26, 1989, to Canfor-Weldwood Distribution Ltd. on January 30, 1989, to CanWel
Distribution Ltd. on July 19, 1996 and to CanWel Building Materials Ltd. on March 19, 2004.
CanWel transitioned
under the Business Corporations Act (British Columbia) in 2004.
CanWel’s head office is located at 601 – 700 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V7Y 1A1.
The registered and records office of CanWel is located at Suite 1500, 570 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia,
V6C 3P1
CanWel has one material subsidiary, Sodisco-Howden Group Inc. (“Sodisco-Howden”), which CanWel
operates as the Sodisco-Howden Division. Sodisco-Howden was incorporated under the laws of the Province of Quebec
by Letters Patent dated December 7, 1966. Supplementary Letters Patent amending the authorized share capital were
issued on several occasions and, on December 2, 1980; Sodisco-Howden was continued under Part IA of the Companies
Act (Québec). Since that date, several certificates of amendment have been issued for the purpose of amending its
authorized share capital, amalgamating it with some of its subsidiaries and changing its name. Sodisco-Howden's
registered office is located at 485 McGill Street, Montreal, Quebec, H2Y 2H4.
CanWel is comprised of three operating divisions: CanWel Distribution Division, Futura Forest Products
Division and Sodisco-Howden Division. The three divisions operate as strategic business units. The CanWel
Distribution Division distributes a wide range of lumber, building materials and related products; the Futura Forest
Products Division distributes lumber, millwork, decking and certain other building materials, most of which have been
pressure treated; and the Sodisco-Howden Division distributes a wide assortment of hardware, tools, plumbing,
electrical, paint products, and a smaller, more tailored assortment of housewares, automotive and seasonal products, in
addition to distributing a wide range of lumber, building materials and related products

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

IMO...things were quite a bit better when Tembec was operating in the area. Seemed to have a good long term plan. I can’t imagine they would have torn up an operating snowmobile trail without some advance notification. Those days appear to be gone.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, this is from Canwel's annual report from 2005.....(maybe the forestry division is different?)

CanWel Building Materials Ltd. (“CanWel� or the “Company�) was incorporated pursuant to the Company Act
(British Columbia) on November 24, 1988 under the name 355241 British Columbia Ltd. CanWel changed its name to
Canfor Distribution Ltd. on January 26, 1989, to Canfor-Weldwood Distribution Ltd. on January 30, 1989, to CanWel
Distribution Ltd. on July 19, 1996 and to CanWel Building Materials Ltd. on March 19, 2004.
CanWel transitioned
CanWel’s head office is located at 601 – 700 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V7Y 1A1.
The registered and records office of CanWel is located at Suite 1500, 570 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia,
V6C 3P1
CanWel has one material subsidiary, Sodisco-Howden Group Inc. (“Sodisco-Howden�), which CanWel
operates as the Sodisco-Howden Division. Sodisco-Howden was incorporated under the laws of the Province of Quebec
by Letters Patent dated December 7, 1966. Supplementary Letters Patent amending the authorized share capital were
issued on several occasions and, on December 2, 1980; Sodisco-Howden was continued under Part IA of the Companies
Act (Québec). Since that date, several certificates of amendment have been issued for the purpose of amending its
authorized share capital, amalgamating it with some of its subsidiaries and changing its name. Sodisco-Howden's
CanWel is comprised of three operating divisions: CanWel Distribution Division, Futura Forest Products
Division and Sodisco-Howden Division. The three divisions operate as strategic business units. The CanWel
Distribution Division distributes a wide range of lumber, building materials and related products; the Futura Forest
Products Division distributes lumber, millwork, decking and certain other building materials, most of which have been
pressure treated; and the Sodisco-Howden Division distributes a wide assortment of hardware, tools, plumbing,
electrical, paint products, and a smaller, more tailored assortment of housewares, automotive and seasonal products, in
addition to distributing a wide range of lumber, building materials and related products

Google Canfor stock ticker...then click the Subsidiaries link. Then do the same for Canwel.

They have different stock symbols and do not show any associations under subsidiaries.

Pretty sure they are completely different companies, but lots of people seem to think they are one In the same.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

CanWel Building Materials Ltd. (“CanWel” or the “Company”) was incorporated pursuant to the Company Act
CanWel transitioned
V6C 3P1
CanWel has one material subsidiary, Sodisco-Howden Group Inc. (“Sodisco-Howden”), which CanWel

Interesting, I had no idea there was an affiliation in the late 80's good find. There is no current connection though as per below.

Google Canfor stock ticker...then click the Subsidiaries link. Then do the same for Canwel.

They have different stock symbols and do not show any associations under subsidiaries.

Pretty sure they are completely different companies, but lots of people seem to think they are one In the same.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMO...things were quite a bit better when Tembec was operating in the area. Seemed to have a good long term plan. I can’t imagine they would have torn up an operating snowmobile trail without some advance notification. Those days appear to be gone.

No kidding. The Tembec managers were long term residents and were here for the long haul. They were community. The last two operators (Jemi Fibre and Canwel) seem to be fly by night operators.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All in the name of toilet paper and paper towel...

I guess they don't have to tell anyone as its there road, little heads up would be nice as i'm sure they'd have that planned out well in advance..

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fernie snowmobile club has just stop maintaining the trail. It's now use at your own risk. single lane traffic on the road with very little pull outs. the berms from plowing the road have not been pushed out in any pullouts. Good luck on your adventure

Drifter1

Reaction score
View attachment 216075
This picture is pretty standard staging area where I ride. Don’t block the road and don’t block any work and please have a radio. Never had any issues. Most times they will push open a spot to park. Don’t be hauling in enclosed trailers though.

Last year up the 1042?

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good paying BC jobs from sledders spending money in various areas all over BC as well don't you think. How hard could it have been to allow us a small trail for the rest of the year.

Top Bottom