Opinions on Turbos for XMs

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after seeing the turbos at the show, I'm thinking Turbo. any thoughts for arguments for both sides?

I'll all for tinkering as well so please let me know some pros and cons.

Pro: More power

con: reduced reliability?

i say that with a question mark because i am really curious if it actually reduces reliability by a significant amount

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cons: money!

after unloading 15+k on a sled I don't think I have enough cash for another $6000 mod

also, another con would be having to buy gas at the airport since 5-6 psi just wont be enough

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cons: money!

after unloading 15+k on a sled I don't think I have enough cash for another $6000 mod

also, another con would be having to buy gas at the airport since 5-6 psi just wont be enough

meh, I would rather run at 5-6 psi and possibly get more reliability that push 7 or 8 psi, but I dunno we'll see, I've emailed aerocharger, its up to them to impress me. does this mean i lose my warranty? lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
meh, I would rather run at 5-6 psi and possibly get more reliability that push 7 or 8 psi, but I dunno we'll see, I've emailed aerocharger, its up to them to impress me. does this mean i lose my warranty? lol

thats a big 10-4

dont understand why anyone would want a turbo until they are plug and play.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a big 10-4

dont understand why anyone would want a turbo until they are plug and play.

They are selling them as such, does this mean that they are lying to me? I understand a little bit of tinkering is necessary to get the ratios right, but how much tinkering is there going to be?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Boost It set-up with the water to air I/C.
As far as plug n play I doubt they will ever get to that point. There will always be some tuning tinkering as no two machines will run the same.
Only thing I see getting better is the price. I'd like to see someone start using Borg Warner over Garrett or at least offer it as an option as that is one way to drop the price. In my experience, I've seen the BW's last and perform just as well as the GT stuff.
I'm sure someday I'm going to be running a turbo and like where the market is heading! Lots of new cool stuff every season.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Boost It set-up with the water to air I/C.
As far as plug n play I doubt they will ever get to that point. There will always be some tuning tinkering as no two machines will run the same.
Only thing I see getting better is the price. I'd like to see someone start using Borg Warner over Garrett or at least offer it as an option as that is one way to drop the price. In my experience, I've seen the BW's last and perform just as well as the GT stuff.
I'm sure someday I'm going to be running a turbo and like where the market is heading! Lots of new cool stuff every season.

why wouldnt they? they all come off the line with identical parts. supposedly hm Turbos has a pro rmk kit with plug n play but not for the etec.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why wouldnt they? they all come off the line with identical parts. supposedly hm Turbos has a pro rmk kit with plug n play but not for the etec.

A little bit of tinkering is ok, i just like the whole idea of more HP :). But if I lose a ton of reliability i think its not worth it, hence why i want to go the low boost route

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
speaking from 1800 miles exsperience boosted on the etec, there certainly was a few hardships the first year, now after the second year of production the kits are getting mighty defind

the etec boosted at 6lbs boost rocks... 80 percent of the riders i would bet would be very happy at that boost, and dependabilty could be a pull and go sled all season, with minimal cost other than the kit itself

i ran this last season from 5 to 10 lbs and other than a set of reeds early in the season never looked back, but one needs to understand that with any kit there will be more maintence, and one needs to be able to trouble shoot when there is

as a comparsion to a stock etec, the pin weight in the primary as of stock is 14 grams and the etec turbo running everything the same will be 23grams... thats alot more push

i think the new xm with a reliable turbo kit would be a sled that most would dream about

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard, from a little bird, that doo is testing the boondocker turbo now (see Rasmussen) and maybe they will partner up with BD and offer turbo 2 strokes with warranty in 3 years

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
There will be some good running e-tech turbo's this season. Out of all the 2 strokes on the market, the etech is the easiest to fuel. The biggest issues are rave valve opening/closing times and whatever charge setup/intercooler/non intercooler sizing that the kits are using for desired boost, sled configuration, and altitude.

The problem with any turbo kit is none of them are a one size fits all.

We have the fueling on our Pro turbo's to the point where we almost never touch them, and usually only do because we are fussy.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There will be some good running e-tech turbo's this season. Out of all the 2 strokes on the market, the etech is the easiest to fuel. The biggest issues are rave valve opening/closing times and whatever charge setup/intercooler/non intercooler sizing that the kits are using for desired boost, sled configuration, and altitude.

The problem with any turbo kit is none of them are a one size fits all.

We have the fueling on our Pro turbo's to the point where we almost never touch them, and usually only do because we are fussy.

Do you have any recommendations? Like who seems to have their act together and who to avoid? Also do you have an recommendations for the actual system? like intercooled vs non-intercooled?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because there are too many variables. Fitment may be close to the same if not the same, but tuning will not be the same on every machine. Although when kits are mass produced, sometimes the odd pipe might get through with a little different angle on it, or a harness a little shorter or longer. I've seen it first hand in the diesel world.

Different elevations, different weight of rider, different styles of riding, different air density, different snow conditions and different maintenance or condition of clutch and belt will all play factors in how a machine runs as well. Even where and who you buy the fuel from will affect it. That's the nice thing about having lots of mapping and different fueling options in a controller to make it easier to dial it in to where the rider is happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NM

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because there are too many variables. Fitment may be close to the same if not the same, but tuning will not be the same on every machine. Although when kits are mass produced, sometimes the odd pipe might get through with a little different angle on it, or a harness a little shorter or longer. I've seen it first hand in the diesel world.

Different elevations, different weight of rider, different styles of riding, different air density, different snow conditions and different maintenance or condition of clutch and belt will all play factors in how a machine runs as well. Even where and who you buy the fuel from will affect it. That's the nice thing about having lots of mapping and different fueling options in a controller to make it easier to dial it in to where the rider is happy with it.

naa its easy. just flick a switch for Burandt style or Randy Swenson style LOL

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as others said here, etecs boosted are easy to fuel, might be the direct injection, but over all easy to tune... if i leave boulder parking lot i need to hit my fuel controller two bars higher and when i get to 5200 feet, i hit it back two bars, ( a matter of 5 seconds) and your set for the day, that easy

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as others said here, etecs boosted are easy to fuel, might be the direct injection, but over all easy to tune... if i leave boulder parking lot i need to hit my fuel controller two bars higher and when i get to 5200 feet, i hit it back two bars, ( a matter of 5 seconds) and your set for the day, that easy

are you using the etec altimiter or do you pull out your gps to check.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations? Like who seems to have their act together and who to avoid? Also do you have an recommendations for the actual system? like intercooled vs non-intercooled?
Well anyone that has ever owned a turbo sled would agree that support from the turbo manufacturer is critical. TSS in Salmon Arm rides thousands of miles a year in the BC mountains, and they live pretty much where they ride.
How many other turbo kit builders are there in Canada? It really doesn't make any difference to me which kit anyone buys, but support is critical if you ever need it. The other thing going to remember is that when anyone spends the money on a US built kit, that money is not coming back to Canada. How many of those US builders support the cdn clubs, cdn avalanche Centre etc.

Also in my opinion, your probably better off with no intercooler than a air to air intercooler that turns in to a heat sink. That little electric fan that some companies use does absolutely nothing while you are on boost.
Water to air intercoolers remove the most charge air heat by a wide margin.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes went by the altimeter on the sled...

boondocker Supposingly has the elevation factor covered in their kit, but when we were out with it last year, it still needed some tuning, this year they will have it dialed in

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt take what im saying to the bank, but from what ive seen it looks like the aerocharger kit is the best for the xm, since they claim that they designed it side by side with ski doo. and the self contained oil reservoir is a big bonus. No leaks when you roll it. and they re track cooled intercooler is genious and light, cause for the lack of water or over stocking air with air to air intercoolers.

then again what the hell do i know i have a big bore kit lol

Top Bottom