Oil Light flashing and display showing "OIL" but she's geeting oil

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
2011 M8 snow pro..... I can tell from the exhaust that she's getting oil, seems as though as much as ever but the light and display is telling me otherwise.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil Light flashing and display showing "OIL" but she's geeting oil

I have the same sled and mine will randomly do it on startup sometimes. I know it's getting oil, so I just ride it and it usually clears itself within 5 minutes. If it doesn't clear itself, I'd take a look at the low oil sensor(on the front side of the tank). It's just a float/level switch, chances are it's just sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Oil Light flashing and display showing "OIL" but she's geeting oil

float/sensor in the oil tank is likely shot. Display is telling you that you are out of oil when you are not.

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried getting to buddy's sensor but could not get tank out, how do you get at sensor?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Thanks guys that makes sense.... we rolled it over a few times as well so that might explain. I'll have a closer look tomorrow night.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys that makes sense.... we rolled it over a few times as well so that might explain. I'll have a closer look tomorrow night.

Same sensor went on my 11 m8 as well, quite common, easy fix

Sent from my iPhone because who uses a computer anymore

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
A reputable source tells me to poke the float with a coat hanger and see if it comes free..... then ride her like she's stolen.... maybe suggesting I take it to BC without registration?????
New sensor

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
A reputable source tells me to poke the float with a coat hanger and see if it comes free..... then ride her like she's stolen.... maybe suggesting I take it to BC without registration?????
Your source is probably right. I recall trying this before

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Worked like a charm thx
Now off to BC lol

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That never worked for mine, tried it with no luck, cat warrantied it on mine

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried the coat hanger thing. The light would go off while I was holding the float up but as soon as I would ride the damn thing would come back on. I ended up replacing the sensor even though the faulty one bench tested fine.

It's a bit of a PITA to get at but you have pull the hood and air box off and then the rubber air intake shroud that goes around the throttle bodies. Once that's out you can get at the oil sensor. Make sure you either drain or suck out your oil first. There may be other ways but this is how I went about it.

Top Bottom