Oil field jobs

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say power engineering as well. From the reports I've seen it's the most in demand position in the industry and as stated above one of the most secure as these companies aren't going to walk away from their production investments just because prices are falling. A buddy of mine just got an offer for $130k and has only had his 3rd for about a year.

In the late 90's I had a broken leg and thought I would take my 4th at RDC two nights a week for 3 hours each. I couldn't stay awake... I hated it. I don't smoke so when they would take a smoke break, I would hobble over to my truck on my crutches and leave. I would go to Billy Bob's and get drunk and chase cowgirls. I learned WAAAY more there than at skool.

The instructor noticed this behavior and asked me about it. I said "I've been here for 3 weeks and all you have taught us is that water boils at 100C, and if the job is half as boring as this class I would commit suicide so see ya" went back to Billy Bobs and the pipeline. No regrets.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In all honesty I had the opportunity to go for power engineering to and I turned it down. Looking back I kick myself as your not limited to oil patch. Any factory, mine, building or saw mill etc needs PE guys. Don't get me wrong, the rigs have been very good to me and my bank is generally pleased however you can't put a dollar figure on quality of life and time spent at home with the family, something I was blind to until my daughter was born.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10592803_697031557054739_1057945642708350653_n.jpg

Toro

Reaction score
Never finished high school, Dreco was screaming for guys no experience, bunch of my buddies started there and I went to a wellhead manufacturer, 35 years later got my own small oilfield company. The best place in the world (Alberta) where hard work always beats some dumbass that thinks he's smarter than you because he's got a piece of paper on the wall. God bless Alberta. "you can always tell an engineer, but you sure can't tell them much"

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I came out of University debt free and started work the Monday after finishing exams on Friday, 3 weeks later I got an offer for 40% more from another company. The trick to University is to not get a degree in basket weaving or being a barista.

Yep, theirs a lot of useless crap to take. Take something that actually has practical use and you can set yourself up quite well.

iturch

Reaction score
I've been in the oil patch in both rigs and operation. What I found rigs are great money and a good time when they are working and a little hard work only killed the week( back when drillers were still allowed to punch you if you didn't listen) I moved into operations after the slowdown in 98 just as good of money salary,O.T.,share options,bonus and not going to be sweating when oil hits $50 a barrel. I'm waiting to see what happens to the young guys that never seen a real slowdown yet make out in the next couple of years

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what is considered by everyone to be "good money"? If a guy works away from home oil/gas for an example is $80/hr a good wage. Just wondering/curious what everyone thinks.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what is considered by everyone to be "good money"? If a guy works away from home oil/gas for an example is $80/hr a good wage. Just wondering/curious what everyone thinks.

Depends where your living and how much overtime you work. I'm running a steamer truck for the winter, it pays $26 an hour and I usually get 3-7 hours of overtime per day plus working weekends. I consider it good pay since the cost of living is pretty low where I live. If I lived in Calgary I would be living in my truck and eating kraft dinner lol

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It ain't what you make....it's what you save. I work with guys making close to $2g a day that couldn't finance a trip to the zoo. I also know guys that are earning $40/hr who are mortgage free.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends where your living and how much overtime you work. I'm running a steamer truck for the winter, it pays $26 an hour and I usually get 3-7 hours of overtime per day plus working weekends. I consider it good pay since the cost of living is pretty low where I live. If I lived in Calgary I would be living in my truck and eating kraft dinner lol
I would consider that low for running a steam truck, 16 years ago guys were getting $25.00 per hour driving a body job vac truck

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would consider that low for running a steam truck, 16 years ago guys were getting $25.00 per hour driving a body job vac truck

It might be a little low but it's only $1 an hour less than I was offered to work service rigs and my training was paid for. $400 per day to do odd jobs around the rig and thaw stuff is good enough for me.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I still question not taking that consulting position.....

not that I'd be any further ahead but I'd have a MUCH bigger boat....

It ain't what you make....it's what you save. I work with guys making close to $2g a day that couldn't finance a trip to the zoo. I also know guys that are earning $40/hr who are mortgage free.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I earn less than $26 but that's because Im starting out operating. But I get overtime after 8 hours time and a half Saturday's. And double time Sunday's so I can make good money in the summer. And my pay will only go up.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still question not taking that consulting position.....

not that I'd be any further ahead but I'd have a MUCH bigger boat....

I'll keep calling when positions open up. It gets harder and harder to say no lol.

Top Bottom