Official 2015/2016 Fernie conditions

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So this morning FAR is reporting 0 cm and the Griz cam shows maybe 8 cm. Must have rained pretty high through the night. According to the below weather forecast is will be another wet one today.
Today
12.png
Periods of rain.
Alpine temperature: High 5 °C.
Precipitation: 14 mm.
Wind: Mostly light ridge wind occasionally gusting to 50 km/h.
Freezing level: 2500 metres.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this morning FAR is reporting 0 cm and the Griz cam shows maybe 8 cm. Must have rained pretty high through the night. According to the below weather forecast is will be another wet one today.
TodayPeriods of rain.
Alpine temperature: High 5 °C.
Precipitation: 14 mm.
Wind: Mostly light ridge wind occasionally gusting to 50 km/h.
Freezing level: 2500 metres.
You get snow at your place Doug? It's pouring rain here in Fernie and water running down then streets.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rained pretty much all morning all the way to the top of the rolling hills. turned to a very wet snow around noon and built up a few inches but again very wet.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Going to try the 3 meters of snow (last time I probed) today. With freezing temps last night there should be a top layer/crust and heavy wet snow underneath. It will be interesting. It will also be interesting to see how much the snow pack has settled.

I know we need valley bottom snow to clean up the lower part of the trail. Forecast doesn't look promising for that to happen anytime soon.

rrankin

Reaction score
Thinking of heading out to Fernie this weekend! Just wondering how the snow conditions are or might be for the weekend? Also the best area to ride and where everyone has been parking? Usually park at coal creek! (old dump road) thanks!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey, did you guys leave any easy stuff in the usual places?? Thinking about heading up for the day tomorrow.

According to some, that's all I ride is the easy stuff. It is pretty set up and crusty at the 5800' level. The higher the better. Lots left Troy and I heard the Notch is a little wind blown.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A good day today. A little sunshine and warm temps. Crusty at lower elevations (5800') and got better the higher one went. Lots of untracked today and the crowds were well dispersed............we didn't see a soul!

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

Fresh fried oysters and home made sauce for lunch. TheThing didn't disappoint!

IMG_4190.jpg

Reaction score
Website
www.elkvalleysnowshepherds.com
Headed out Coal Creek today with trepidation after the deluge of rain in Fernie yesterday - was pleasantly surprised by great spring riding conditions! Expect to get a bit dirty from staging to the first bridge (first photo). Excellent conditions beyond. Huge props to the FSA grooming crew for all the work on the trails this season. Hard and crusty if you stayed low and flat today but hero climbing and 5cm+ of fresh on minimal tracks out there. Lots of great snowmobiling left to be had in Fernie...come on out!

Our snowpack observations from today posted here on the AVCan MIN site: Avalanche Canada . Please remember to share YOUR observations on the Avalanche Canada MIN site as well or check out what other users are seeing out there before heading out to play yourself. Great way to assist other backcountry users stay safe and to help the Bulletin Forecasters get a picture of what is happening in our local area.
IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1388-2.JPG IMG_1453-2.JPG P1010520.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Fernie Snowmobile Association and Island Lake Lodge are partnering again for a spring ride event on April 9th & 10th, 2016. Weekend package includes two days of riding at Island Lake, meals, accommodation (based on double occupancy), and some fun social events including a fundraiser. Alternate activities such as nordic skiing, snowshoeing etc are also available. $299 per person.

9&10.Apr.2016.jpg

corey.greene

Reaction score
thinking about heading to the rolling hills from the pipeline just wondering if the trail still has snow on it? can you stage from the corbin road?

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure but i would think so, hopefully someone has staged there recently and will chime in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
We went to the Corbin Town site today. looks like guys have been staging at the tin shack and the turnout just north on the east side of the road is plowed. There was a skiff of snow today but not much at lower elevations. I don't know what kind of shape the trail is in. The Corbin trail is pretty pounded out and the snow is quite crusty when you get in play areas. If you have the time I would recommend the extra drive to Coal Creek.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure hope it dumps tonight! It's definitely needed I tried every aspect up coal creek today as well as tight trees steep slopes drainages all elevations and there's a nasty ice layer under 4" of fresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom