Official 2015/2016 Fernie conditions

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the road plowed to up coal ck? Is it plowed up the Matheson? I get home tonight, I guess I can go and look tomorrow.

It is still plowed up Matheson although it didn't look like they have graded since the last little bit of snow fell. I was away for a bit so I'm not sure when the road was graded last.

Trail was OK on the short stretch from Matheson turnoff to the next bridge, then it turned to big whoops. I would imagine it would be bad all the way to the Rolling hills, we carried on to Coal Creek summit instead of going up Paige's Draw and that section of trail was pretty reasonable...bumpy, but not brutal by any means.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Where is the road plowed to up coal ck? Is it plowed up the Matheson? I get home tonight, I guess I can go and look tomorrow.

Coal Creek is plowed to the Matheson corner and up Matheson. There will be heavy logging traffic for the coming weeks. Logging finished mid January.

Please use Morrissey. It was groomed and it is like the highway. Baby butt smooth..........from Morrissey to the Wranglers, through the Doug Dean Trail to the Rolling Hills cabin and around the Summit. Great job Mick!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Mother Nature blessed us today...................blue bird and warm! Rode untracked all day in the Rolling Hills (we had to cross a few tracks from yesterday but lots of fresh still out there.

IMG_3890.jpg

jhard

Reaction score
Anyone riding tomorrow and don't mind another guy tagging along? I have all the gear and know how to use it like riding trees but up for anything!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thinking we were close to the same spot! We maybe got there a little late, as there were tracks up on that ridge but in the trees there was lots of untracked remaining.

Yes, the inversion was great as we found anywhere the sun wasn't bright, it was a tad chilly. No, it was friggin' cold just like the ride in in the morning.

IMG_3913.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Gotta get into the trees and the thicker the better. You just might get lucky and pop out into an untouched meadow. All the open areas are ridden hard. We haven't had any amount of new snow for nearly a month it seems.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode little sands yesterday. Same deal. All the easy to get to spots are pounded, but once you look around a little you could find a little fresh. Probed about 220cm in the trees

chedder

Reaction score
We rode little sands yesterday. Same deal. All the easy to get to spots are pounded, but once you look around a little you could find a little fresh. Probed about 220cm in the trees
When you say little sand is that the way up that powder cowboys used to use and maintain? If yes, how sketchy are the avalanche paths and do you use that upper path they used to make to try avoid most of them? Thanks.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We rode untouched all day 10 mins from Fernie yesterday, had to laugh not a soul had been where we were, all the open areas without a track!! Great day in the sun!!

:nopics: :nopics: :nopics:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking we were close to the same spot! We maybe got there a little late, as there were tracks up on that ridge but in the trees there was lots of untracked remaining.

Yes, the inversion was great as we found anywhere the sun wasn't bright, it was a tad chilly. No, it was friggin' cold just like the ride in in the morning.

View attachment 192925

DSC00039.jpg

Very much the same, and very different ;)

I'm willing to bet most can't spot the difference :)

Last edited:

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dropped my brother and buddy off Friday morning. They said it took them a bit as we've never ridden the area, but they found some good snow!

Top Bottom