Offered Free Vintage Sled

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On friday night a guy I work with offered me an older model John Deere sled for free. He wasn't sure of the model but he thought it to be somwhere in the 70's. He said it runs but was going to clean up the carbs this weekend and get it running better. He also mentioned the hood was cracked and it needed a new windshield. I have always wanted to restore a sled but am wondering what I am getting myself into. Are there many parts available for these old timers? Give me any advice you have. All will be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe contact snowmobile heaven near Rimbey or the Sled parlour in Carstairs they might have sleds similar to what you are getting or know if parts are readily available
I'm sure there are other sled breakers as well that could help

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lyle at Centerpoint just between Leduc and Calmar has all kinds of obsolete John Deer parts:d:d:d

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have restored a few sleds and only if parts are availble will i ever take them on. Because I want them done within 3 months or less otherwise your garage is tied up then u never finish them and have some cash tied up.

northernguy

Reaction score
knoblach service is griffin sask has a ton of parts for john deere he even made a independent front suspension kit for them

rgutmann

Reaction score
I have been working on a 340 John Deere Cyclone and have been able get parts off ebay which included a new hood, the foam disintegrated when touched but the hood was brand new, kill, dimmer switches and metal cleats for the track. I also did a search and was able to get a new windshield. The thing to watch for is the shipping. The hood I got from the states cost 50.00 us and 150.00 to ship. Good luck

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife still drives the old '76 Liquidfire 440. That old sled has proven to be one of the most dependable machines I've ever seen. It's pulled home polaris, ski-doo and cats of all kinds.
Landon and Marty at the Sled Parlour, just outside of Carstairs, have been able to supply anything we've ever needed......new or used.
Good people, reasonable prices, and they stand behind everything they sell.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be doo-able. I'd have to clear it with the boss (wife) first. There is always the issue of having adequate space whan you take something like this on. I'd hate to have to store her sled outside in the elements!

Top Bottom