Sled Purchase Guidance

SHOTGUNRUSS

Reaction score
So I just started looking for a newer used sled and have been almost overwhelmed in what I need/want with all the brands models and sub packages available. I have all the dealers in close proximity so no problems there, also I am very mechanically inclined and am not scared to work on anything. All I have ridden to date is old 90’s heavy gutless trail sleds that are kind of fun for a quick rip but pretty much useless for off trail riding. I have never ridden a modern high hp long track sled so that is a major consideration, but I am not young and dumb with a death wish so I can drive something powerful without pinning it all the time. I am not brand loyal with anything I buy but rather look for the most value for money, reliability, and what suits my needs best. I would be riding with a few guys that are not intense but have newer machines (vipers) and have decent experience. We usually have 2-4’ of dense powder all off trail riding with open fields to cut lines and steep hills for climbing and side hilling. I really prefer to have a sled as light as possible because I will be the one getting stuck the most. I realize the lightest sleds may compromise some durability so not totally sure on that. With the research I have done I am kind of looking at the SKS models with a 14_”-15_” track, seems like the sks is a little more versatile and durable but pretty light weight. I absolutely want EFI and was shocked you can still buy a carbed sled. I would prefer a 2 stroke but 1500-3000km engine rebuilds seem kinda poor, can I expect more if I am not driving the azz of it? All thoughts or recommendations are appreciated, please include explanations so I can understand the relevance and nature of suggestions. Thanks in advance!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well Russ, first of all welcome to the forum. It is a great place for information like you are requesting.

Secondly, it might be good to lay down a budget. The reason I mention that relates the engine rebuilds on 2-strokes that you mentioned. I am a Skidoo dude and I am familiar them. The 800R motor was famous for early rebuilds but I was able to get over 5000 km on them they were still running strong but I could tell they were due for a rebuild. The next motor Skidoo came out with was the 600-800 eTec and those motors are pretty much bomb proof. Easily over 10,000 and I have heard of some in the 20,000 km range. Generally, those motors are in the 2011-2016 Skidoo sleds.

I am not personally familiar with Polaris but the older motors were definitely a problem and for your own sanity stay away from the 900 cc. Arctic Cat motors are bomb proof and last quite long. Saying that, there are other problems (laid out on the pages of this forum) with clutches in the newer (2028 ish) models.

You will get pages of information and there will be lots of information for you to research and digest. Enjoy the process and good luck with whatever you choose. Have fun and enjoy.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are considering Polaris I would go for 2015 or newer because of the better chassis and engine. The 800 had problems prior to then related to engine longevity but they made some changes so they are as good as anything else out there now. Of course it's hard to tell how the engine was treated by a previous owner but the redesigned 800 is good for 15 K before needing a rebuild unless you're running WOT all the time. The SKS would be a good choice for the type of riding you describe.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Set budget first ...then you can look at whats available ...lots of good used sleds as there are still people who buy new and find that it doesnt get used as much or they dont really have time or interest so you get the benefit from their poor decision.

Polaris 600s are decent and will run with the vipers but will be lighter and fun off trail - assault / sks for general on & off trail. Rmk for off trail.
2013 and later 800s were much improved.
Go with efi as its so much easier.

BRP Freeride is a great option too.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2013-2016 Skidoo summit 800 146 or 154 2.5" is my recommendation based on you saying all off trail and usually some powder riding. Very capable and reliable machine that are easy to find at fair prices. Find one under 4000km and service the chaincase and clutches and enjoy for a few years.

SHOTGUNRUSS

Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. First off I should have clarified that I could go buy new “budget wise” but I consider it foolish for the fact that I could trash it the first ride, or find that what I think what I want/need totally changes and either change sleds or move on entirely. My example for this is I started looking at the phaser mtx, my local dealer has several new from previous years that are way below cost. I thought that would be a perfect fit for me, but as I started researching there seems to be a lot of purchase remorse with them for many reasons. I am not saying the phaser would have been terrible for me but decided to take more time to research and get some experienced suggestions. Having said that my initial loose budget is $6000-$8000 and would like nothing older than 2015-16 depending on brand and model. Hope this helps. I would like to take a small rant: Why does only one manufacturer publish dry weight? What is up with that? Most of the manufacturers have a mind boggling product line with sub models with similar names that are totally different. Then use certain model/package names and change What they actually Represent. So a couple questions: I realize the mountain sleds are the lightest for each manufacturer but how much reliability and durability do you sacrifice? On the other end I see the hill climbing / free ride sleds are built much tougher but adding considerable weight, in some cases almost compatible to the 4 stroke weights. So where is the balance between build durability and weight? Thoughts?

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. First off I should have clarified that I could go buy new “budget wise” but I consider it foolish for the fact that I could trash it the first ride, or find that what I think what I want/need totally changes and either change sleds or move on entirely. My example for this is I started looking at the phaser mtx, my local dealer has several new from previous years that are way below cost. I thought that would be a perfect fit for me, but as I started researching there seems to be a lot of purchase remorse with them for many reasons. I am not saying the phaser would have been terrible for me but decided to take more time to research and get some experienced suggestions. Having said that my initial loose budget is $6000-$8000 and would like nothing older than 2015-16 depending on brand and model. Hope this helps. I would like to take a small rant: Why does only one manufacturer publish dry weight? What is up with that? Most of the manufacturers have a mind boggling product line with sub models with similar names that are totally different. Then use certain model/package names and change What they actually Represent. So a couple questions: I realize the mountain sleds are the lightest for each manufacturer but how much reliability and durability do you sacrifice? On the other end I see the hill climbing / free ride sleds are built much tougher but adding considerable weight, in some cases almost compatible to the 4 stroke weights. So where is the balance between build durability and weight? Thoughts?

All sled manufactures these days have a pretty good selection of sleds, from trail riding to steep and deep. Should you consider Polaris, stay with the Axy model (2016 +). Nothing wrong with the 2013-2015 Pro RMK's but the Axy is just that much better. In the two stroke sleds, as well, I wouldn't be concerned with engine longevity with any of them, however I do hear of some very high mileage Doo e-tech's out there. You will find the Polaris and Cat handle very similar, where the Doo is considerably different. It's all about personal preference. You should maybe rent or at least try to ride the different brands as if you purchase a sled that you cannot handle (that's me on Doo), you will likely get frustrated, not enjoy going or quit.

Good of luck with your decision.

Limbo

Reaction score
Renting and or demo days are both good for trying out a machine before committing the $$$.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be patient he market is gonna be flooded with sleds, you should be able to get a screaming deal on someone willing to move just to make room for their snow checks.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will second trying as many platforms as you can before buying. I found my issue not so much the engine but the chassis. Hated the XP chassis on the renegade backcountry x I had. Switched to a pro Switchback assault and it was much more enjoyable for myself. Riding off trail with minimal mountains found pretty much any engine has enough power so it's more about the handling.

SHOTGUNRUSS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, all good info. My thoughts on choosing a platform that works for me is different than some suggestions. I totally understand that a seasoned rider has a style / setup that certain machines can feel right or wrong. I feel that because I have no experience with a modern sled, whatever I purchase I can adapt and adjust my style and the machine’s settings to my liking. Then maybe learn how to ride whatever I get to it’s potential.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, all good info. My thoughts on choosing a platform that works for me is different than some suggestions. I totally understand that a seasoned rider has a style / setup that certain machines can feel right or wrong. I feel that because I have no experience with a modern sled, whatever I purchase I can adapt and adjust my style and the machine’s settings to my liking. Then maybe learn how to ride whatever I get to it’s potential.

You might be right, but I’d still be a good idea to try them, everyone seemed to have a “fit” that works best.

SHOTGUNRUSS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. So what are the main problems to look for in current sleds? Looking for the big things that can really bite you in the rear.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seeing as your in central sask give Shaun at rally motor sports in Prince Albert a call and he will look after you! I would recommend a switchback assault or sks from Polaris, backcountry from doo or high country or riot from cat for the riding in central and northern sask. take a good hard look at your time spent off trail after 13 season on 4 different mountain sleds I went to a switchback assault and am having the most fun riding this year that I can remember. The cobra 1.6 track on switchback assault/ riot and backcountry actually works really well fpr
the 3-4 feet of snow we get a winter. FYI my riding is north central sask so I understand the type of terrain u will ride.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First .... welcome to S&M

Second.... beware of the information/opinions you will receive here.... as they say “opinions are like assholes - everyone has one...!”

Couple good suggestions here... rent/demo is a great idea! Your budget will allow you to get into an extremely decent sled(possibly close to a newer non-current)

I would also suggest you consider what fuel you wish use, any new 2S will be premium.... not sure what your situation is, but considering you may be able to put on lots of miles, trailering/transportation to destinations, insurance, your local club membership... everything adds up!

Top Bottom