Nordegg riding areas

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love riding around the Nordegg area, but am all not familiar with all the places to ride. I have been up to the Blackstone and Chungo areas, some nice trails but mostly short hauls
What i want to know is where you have rode around Nordegg and why its the best of them all. I'm looking for that place!!!!

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Across from the Nordegg turnoff,North, is the Shunda Creek campground. You can also unload along the road, not much space though. There are a ton of trails in that area to quad. You can go up Baldy Mountain, around Baldy and Coliseum(all day trip) or just explore the cutlines. Can easily spend a few days before you get bored. We haven't been back in a few years. Shunda campground is quad friendly.Have some photos from that area. 2004-2005

honda75

Reaction score
Yes, nice folks - Gord and Linda? at the Shunda Campground.

You can't beat the Bighorn Dam area, but note that the trails are closed till July 1.

Forestry has just brought a new Bighorn Backcountry Map which shows the trails. They seem to have closed a lot of spur trails and cultines since last May Long. Baldy is open, but Coliseum Mt is hiking only now.

There's nice loops at Crescent Falls, Bighorn, but lots of the cutlines haven't been designated, so be careful out there. It was crawling with fish cops on the May long.

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Across from the Nordegg turnoff,North, is the Shunda Creek campground. You can also unload along the road, not much space though. There are a ton of trails in that area to quad. You can go up Baldy Mountain, around Baldy and Coliseum(all day trip) or just explore the cutlines. Can easily spend a few days before you get bored. We haven't been back in a few years. Shunda campground is quad friendly.Have some photos from that area. 2004-2005

I'm more looking for the backcountry experince...dont care to much for campgrounds...like to find that ole dirt road and drive it to the end till you find a nice little spot in the woods and away from the people...but Thanks for the info

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, nice folks - Gord and Linda? at the Shunda Campground.

You can't beat the Bighorn Dam area, but note that the trails are closed till July 1.

Forestry has just brought a new Bighorn Backcountry Map which shows the trails. They seem to have closed a lot of spur trails and cultines since last May Long. Baldy is open, but Coliseum Mt is hiking only now.

There's nice loops at Crescent Falls, Bighorn, but lots of the cutlines haven't been designated, so be careful out there. It was crawling with fish cops on the May long.

so is their camping out there besides campsites.... Can i find that dirt road and camp in the bush?

honda75

Reaction score
There's good random camping at at the Bighorn Dam, but it might be busier than the campgrounds.:d

Otherwise, you are allowed to only pull 75m off the Trunk Road or Highway 11 with a rig.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few spots,,,,,,,,, You can try the Collisium Rd (not signed), across from Beaverdam Campsite or the Swale Rd near Shunda Creek Campsite,,,,,,, also the Shunda Viewpoint rd. Lots of trails in these areas.

I think it's the Harlech campground that's near Swale Rd.
Yes the Shunda Viewpoint Rd (Shunda helicopter pad) is pretty nice and lots of trails, but it fills up with campers on long weekends as well.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad owns & operates Coliseum Mountain Resort, just before the Hostil on Shunda Creek Road, just North of Nordegg, great place to stay & awesome riding all in those area's. I go up there to go dirtbiking every chance I get, good to have GPS though, have gotten lost a few times :)

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents own a Cabin in the north Nordegg Sub division. There is lots of random camping around there. North on the Trunk rd. towards Robb. South as well. There are lots of trails out there.. We go riding there all the time. North and south of the Hi-way. We always seem to find something different all the time,and we just leave from the Cabin. There is also some good trail riding on the sleds in the winter. Always have fun there!!:d:d

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's good random camping at at the Bighorn Dam, but it might be busier than the campgrounds.:d

Otherwise, you are allowed to only pull 75m off the Trunk Road or Highway 11 with a rig.

Bighorn dam sounds interesting...you access it from hi-way 11 or the trunk road. if im tent camping can i drive all the way in if im just pulling a quad trailer?. i seen pics of a big open feild...is there any tree camping around there?

Last edited:

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going on a week long trip starting june 27 at Cadomin and working my way south skirting the mountains...well stay at blackstone and Bighorn dam area... i need all the information on camping around the dam(read post above)

thank you for your help!!!!!

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Lots of random camping, no lack of space. You can't quad south of the dam though until July 1st. You can however ride north of the highway. From where you are camping at the dam area, quad back towards highway following the way you drove in. Turn left(West) and ride ditch along highway 11. At some point tracks cross highway, follow them until they turn right(N) into bush. There are enough trails there to keep you busy for the day. If you get to the Bighorn river and there is a campground on other side, DO NOT CROSS. When you go back watch for a right turn at the bottom of small hill on main trail, follow that all the way through the Bighorn Meadows until you get to river. You can cross here BUT cannot go past sign a little ways up the trail. We usually have lunch along the river here so that we can put fire out. Another trail will take you to the old lookout and you can see Abraham lake from this spot. Have fun exploring.

Top Bottom