Non-snowmobiler sees tracks on North Sask. river and wonders who are these guys?

Landrew

Reaction score
I have tried snowmobiling once (it was at Big Lake, I think the machine made 120hp and it was great fun although the lake was mostly bare ice) and usually ride a CRF450 on tracks and mountian trails, and do some sport and utility atving but I dont know much about sledding.

I have been ice fishing and driven cars on lakes.

Every once in a while I see tracks on the North Sask River.

Last year I went to ride a spot at the dead end of a west end street and did some atv riding. I got out on the river on some old tracks close to shore and was still a bit nervous, then I saw some tracks going way out and across to the other side and thought no way am I going to try that.

Are some guys crazy or is a snowmobile the "safest" way to go down the river.

Although I've seen video of them in water I'd still be nervous out there?

Whats the scoop with riding on the river?

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not all tracks seen on the river are sled tracks..i thought that until i saw the hovvercraft the fire dept. uses saw the tracks and noticed they look alot alike from far...but have seen actual sleds cross the north sask near devon...no thanks.that river moves too fast underneith to freeze enough for this guy to cross..even sledding on the pembina i'm scarred shatless..trust your instinct.

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here, here. quadded from calmar to the north saskatchewan on sunday and even though it looks good and solid it moves way to fast underneath, not for this guy as it can change thickness in a matter of feet and then become disasterous

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before I moved to an acreage I used to live near the NS river, in Edmonton, across from Hilands golfcourse near the capilano bridge. I think that some of those tracks you see are from "tracked Argos". I used to see guys cruisin down the river on them... they launched down by the water treatment plant. Now those might be somewhat safe but as stated above, I would never trust the ice pack on the North Saskatchewan.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Lots of the trails in Saskatchewan ride the north sask river I ride it regular between Wapiti and Nipawin ...when I'm visiting of course. Lots of trucks and ice shacks on it

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every year there are tracks on the NS near the West End here. Too risky for me. I did hear once that some of the tracks are from researchers who are studying the ice flows on the NS each year. They must know where to ride it. Not this guy!!!

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have scene lots of tracks going accross the river at the birdge on HWY 831 Just south of Waskatenau. NOT this year yet

Dzl

Reaction score
I have scene lots of tracks going accross the river at the birdge on HWY 831 Just south of Waskatenau. NOT this year yet

Us River Rats ride the NS quite regularly but you have to be aware of where you are riding and ride with extreme caution and attention. As a rule we only ride on the NS 4-6 miles downriver from Vinca Bridge as the river levels there are quite consistent and there is no rapids until one get's to the Shandro bridge area.

We went out and blazed a trail for about 6 miles 2 weeks ago on our normal route and things were fine. We tried to make a river trail from the pipeline x-ing east of Waskatenau bridge to our cabin, however after 2 miles the ice conditions got so bad that we turned back. Not a matter of thin ice but rather it looks as if the Brazeau dam released a bunch of water sometime in mid-late dec and it pushed the ice sheet up and busted the nicely frozen river to a mess of ice chunks re-frozen into a mess. Looks like we won't be able to cross our normal ice bridge from our cabin to Warspite but rather have to back track to the pipeline x-ing to get across.

Always ride cautiously, ride in a group, and leave plenty of room between machines incase you see slush. We ride near the bank and use the steepness of the bank to guide us as to how deep the water tends to be. Shallow banks indicate shallow water neat the edge (1-3 feet), while steeper banks indicate deeper water. At this time of year well down river from major centers any water one usually sees is flood water from cracks from the ice shelf dropping this time of year. Best to only ride with experienced people and always be ready to pin it to higher ground at a second's notice.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Shallow banks indicate shallow water neat the edge (1-3 feet), while steeper banks indicate deeper water.

Thats the guide I use for fishing.....I don't tell my friends that ...they figure I'm a genius

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Says a lot about your friends :d

LOL I was gonna say something but poor Murm gets picked on enough,so I was gonna leave it just this once.:d

Last edited by a moderator:

Landrew

Reaction score
I ride the smaller creeks but like to be 2nd or third in our group the first time we hit it.

I mountain bike in the winter and some guys have done the NS out to Rabbit Hill but I'm with everyone who says it gives them the heebeegeebee's.

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We ride sometimes south of Smokey Lake and cross the river in 3 different places, around the city I would definately be scared do to the warm waters coming from the plants and what not the water will not freeze fully and is also alot deeper.

Top Bottom