Non PAL required weapons

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
SO as many of you are aware yesterday my community was involved in a crime spree which involved B&E, vandalism, assault and armed robbery.

I spotted the fawkers from my bedroom window and had my wife call 911 while I went to release the hounds and confront them. When I spooked them they ran back to their truck but to my surprise one guy came after me with bear spray and took me down in my garage - could have been worse because I found out after the fact that they were armed with at the minimum a high powered pellet rifle and possibly other firearms.

In hind sight I could have avoided this and reduced the risk, it scares the fawk out of me that once I was down they easily could have gained access to my house, wife, kids and grandson. Next time they leave in an ambulance.

So my question is - I do not have a PAL and really do not want a lengthy legal battle just to be sentenced to 2 years in prison for shooting someone. I have a perfect 2nd floor view of my garage/driveway/road from my bedroom window, what are my options for CO2 type (multiple shot) arms. I've been paintballing and know how much a face shot can hurt and disorientate someone when unprotected so that might work but I was thinking a little more effective (marbles or ball bearings maybe) I would like to be able to stun someone long enough to bear-spray them next time, because after my experience yesterday I know no one is leaving after being sprayed.

Video surveillance is a given I will be installing 3 DVR HD cameras but next time I want the cops to be able to come pick them up not just fingerprint and get statements.

Ideas?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy chit, glad to hear you're ok Ian. Not much for ideas though as anything high power (>500fps) requires a PAL. You're sort of limited to a standard pellet gun or some frozen paintballs. Crossbows are effective but will kill the chit out of them so there's that jail bit again...

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any type of propelled item you use you'll likely end up being charge worse than they will. Welcome to our legal system.
Myself, paintball gun with appropriate projectiles is first choice, second is something loud, third hand to hand and hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did install a full security system though. Had a couple lurkers around so I installed the cameras and a recording device. Posted tge signs and haven't had any lurkers to date. 4 camera cover the whole acreage and are in view on the roof. Neighbor was broken into twice before but now they haven't had a problem cause one of my cameras covers that side of the yard which covers his house and driveway.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Ive talked about this with MULTIPLE people..... Persay you would have had a weapon..... If you would have shot him in the back you would be in jail right now..... If that guy was coming up to your house with a rifle... EVEN a pellet gun and you took him down... You wouldn't be charged with anything. Im TOTALLY against everyone having a gun... And they are way to easy to get.... Hell even I HAVE an restricted... And an AR15. But I assure you one thing... If that guy was coming up to your house with a gun and was planning on doing you harm.... and you shot him with a paintball.................. He is NOT going to turn around and leave.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ian, what is a little Hobbit like yourself doing confronting thugs??? The 911 call was a good idea then maybe following them would have been a little better. I guess I wasn't there so doing this from the comfort of my key board is easy-peasy and hind sight is 20-20.

Thankfully you are okay. Good for this discussion to happen. My son in Calgary has had a couple neighbours broken into in the last week and stuff that could be sold and not tracked was taken (no electronics i.e. computers, TV's)). Food stuffs, cleaning supplies, small kitchen appliances, plates, utensils, and pots and pans. All in the middle of the day.

I like the idea of paint ball but it is getting scary.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My aim with a slingshot & pellet gun is deadly but I don't want to have to reload, I want to be able to get the left and right eye with no pause between - then I'll bearspray the fawkers.

I guess paintball would work - if they are coming at you shoot for the eyes, if running away paint the back of their head and the vehicle - remember I'm shooting from a second story window so the risk of hand to hand combat is non existent, and if they come for the house (even armed) the bear spray will take them out.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Ian, what is a little Hobbit like yourself doing confronting thugs??? The 911 call was a good idea then maybe following them would have been a little better. I guess I wasn't there so doing this from the comfort of my key board is easy-peasy and hind sight is 20-20.

Thankfully you are okay. Good for this discussion to happen. My son in Calgary has had a couple neighbours broken into in the last week and stuff that could be sold and not tracked was taken (no electronics i.e. computers, TV's)). Food stuffs, cleaning supplies, small kitchen appliances, plates, utensils, and pots and pans. All in the middle of the day.

I like the idea of paint ball but it is getting scary.

In past experiences between me and my dog the losers never stick around they bolt, I was after accurate descriptions and a license plate, had I not been sprayed I would have tailed them for the RC's

On another note the RC's we dealt with were all exceptional....

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Trouble is any weapon you use you better have a good reason to use it. I've been told they have to be in your house and your life has to be in danger or else. So in your case if you would've had a rifle or hand gun pointed at the suspect you would be going to jail. Loosing your guns and more. I hope I'm never in a situation like this that happened to you. I do have a fire extinguisher and some other do dads that are close by for non lethal force .. and I do have two cameras and my dog. She barks at everything lol

Glad your ok. And the family didn't get hurt. To bad your dogs wouldn't have went for the guys berries. That would've been funny Maybe get some bear spray or bee spray. That chit Sprays a long way to.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I have bear spray..... and now that I know how well it works It will be my goto, was 30 mins in the shower before I could see and breath properly - Oh and I never would have thought about this but if you are sprayed, cold shower and LEAVE YOUR GAUNCH ON - stings the nether regions worse than the eyes.

I hate how our system works if someone is fawking with my chit I should be able to use whatever non lethal force I want. I get the "you can't headshot a guy with a 22 for breaking into your car" not sure I agree with it but I get it. I've worked my azz off for what I have and Bfawked if anyone should be able to dick around with that.....

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats brutal Ian , hope everything is ok . I heard you can be charged for using bear spray too ??

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SO as many of you are aware yesterday my community was involved in a crime spree which involved B&E, vandalism, assault and armed robbery.

I spotted the fawkers from my bedroom window and had my wife call 911 while I went to release the hounds and confront them. When I spooked them they ran back to their truck but to my surprise one guy came after me with bear spray and took me down in my garage - could have been worse because I found out after the fact that they were armed with at the minimum a high powered pellet rifle and possibly other firearms.

In hind sight I could have avoided this and reduced the risk, it scares the fawk out of me that once I was down they easily could have gained access to my house, wife, kids and grandson. Next time they leave in an ambulance.

So my question is - I do not have a PAL and really do not want a lengthy legal battle just to be sentenced to 2 years in prison for shooting someone. I have a perfect 2nd floor view of my garage/driveway/road from my bedroom window, what are my options for CO2 type (multiple shot) arms. I've been paintballing and know how much a face shot can hurt and disorientate someone when unprotected so that might work but I was thinking a little more effective (marbles or ball bearings maybe) I would like to be able to stun someone long enough to bear-spray them next time, because after my experience yesterday I know no one is leaving after being sprayed.

Video surveillance is a given I will be installing 3 DVR HD cameras but next time I want the cops to be able to come pick them up not just fingerprint and get statements.

Ideas?

Glad your ok, and hope you don't have to go through that again in your lifetime.
It does not matter what's in your hands at the time, the law can go against you or for you. At the end of the day protecting your family is the most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An rcmp member recently told me just dont leave marks on the person . ??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in my teen years, the Bible thumper collage in three hills, the guards used salt bag pellets things in a c02 charged gun

I tell u if they break skin they hurt like a sum byotch, only ever had one get me but many many rounds shot at me

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just pisses off to no end that this conversation is even happening. It should be a no brainer. Someone in you home without being invited,enter at your own risk.As far as the Crown is concerned, charge you with as many charges they can and see which ones they can make stick..Here's the link to how you can defend yourself.

Self-defence: What's acceptable under Canadian law? - Canada - CBC News

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
coincidently we got the call last night at 3:00 AM alarm going off at my wife's business in Vernon. Few min later cops call and told us to come as they broke in. What a f$#$ mess!!! They threw a rock thru the door ($800 door!) went to the register knocked everything over but left with nothing. Cops told me it is getting bad now because Kelowna is cracking down so the losers are migrating to Vernon. Cops told me that even if they got 5 bucks out of the deal it was well worth their efforts as they are that much closer to their next fix. Wife is a bit shaken. I like Tex's idea with salt bags! A bit different than coming to your home like Ian's situation but nevertheless still upsetting.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive talked about this with MULTIPLE people..... Persay you would have had a weapon..... If you would have shot him in the back you would be in jail right now..... If that guy was coming up to your house with a rifle... EVEN a pellet gun and you took him down... You wouldn't be charged with anything. Im TOTALLY against everyone having a gun... And they are way to easy to get.... Hell even I HAVE an restricted... And an AR15. But I assure you one thing... If that guy was coming up to your house with a gun and was planning on doing you harm.... and you shot him with a paintball.................. He is NOT going to turn around and leave.
X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkx2

I get what your saying but if you can slow him/her down with the paintball gun (eyes & face shot) then use the bear spray to lay them out..... I know that you "can" get charged for using bear spray but that won't stop me in my opinion that is "reasonable" non-lethal force - the paintball gun would just be satisfying.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
And for the record, I'm fine, everything is good, my neighbors cabin was trashed and my boat is covered in fingerprinting dust, but no one was hurt and we learned some important chit.

Cameras are going up tonight, it's warm out now so the dogs can sleep outside on the deck , the house gets locked at all times, all valuables are removed from the vehicles and they are left unlocked, Everyone knows where the bear spray is and how to use it - shoot first ask questions later.

Top Bottom