New tow vehicle

SUMMIT 700

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to replace my 2000 3/4 ton yukon xl 6.0l. Not looking for brand new but 2008 or 2009. What do thing would be better, the 3/4 ton 6.0l like i have or the denali 6.2l. I pull a 4 place enclosed and a 31' camper that weighs around 8000lbs. Would love to see a yukon or suburban with a duramax but i dont think that will happen. I really like the excursion but refuse to by a 6.0l diesel.
thanks
Cory

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 gmc 2500hd 6.0L and if i was pulling 4 place and an 8000lbs camper i would have went with the duramax. Go diesel for sure with that kinda weight

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were comfortable with how your 2000 6L pulled the load before I would go with the 3/4 6L or even better go with the diesel.

SUMMIT 700

Reaction score
I would love a diesel but I don't want to give up the seating and space of the Yukon. My 6.0 does ok with the weight. Has anyone towed with the Denali? I just thought the 6.2L would have more power than the 6.0L.
thanks
Cory

riffrraffing

Reaction score
I would love a diesel but I don't want to give up the seating and space of the Yukon. My 6.0 does ok with the weight. Has anyone towed with the Denali? I just thought the 6.2L would have more power than the 6.0L.
thanks
Cory

I have never towed with a 6.0L. But I do have a 6.2L Yukon Denali 2008. It seems to pull 7500lbs without too much trouble. I have never pulled more than that. Take one for a test drive and hook up your trailer and pull it around for a few miles and see how it feels?

You can always get the older Ford Excursion with the 7.3L in it. There are still a few around in premium shape with low mileage. I wouldn't go for the 6.0L either. Never had one, but know of lots who did and they weren't happy.

timmer

Reaction score
Have had 2005 Excursion with 6.0 l since new. Now 110,000km and still no problems. i keep waiting - maybe I am lucky or the fact I haven't chipped it and take care of it helps. Great room for passengers compared to Suburban.
Tows loaded 4-place enclosed like a dream. Just my two cents

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The neighbour has a 6.2 in his new p/u. Tons more power than my 6.0 with better mileage. The mileage difference is somewhat due to the gearing however, because his has a 345 rear diff and the 6spd auto (vs my 5spd standard and 411 rear). This thing runs just above idle empty at 120 and take your pick of gears for towing stuff. Plus the computer and tranny work together to do a lot of engine braking to ease load one the brakes.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new 6.2 is supposed to have more power and combined with a 2500 suburban it might be what you are looking for. If you can afford it the 2011 suburban was supposed to have a 6 cylinder diesel option.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to replace my 2000 3/4 ton yukon xl 6.0l. Not looking for brand new but 2008 or 2009. What do thing would be better, the 3/4 ton 6.0l like i have or the denali 6.2l. I pull a 4 place enclosed and a 31' camper that weighs around 8000lbs. Would love to see a yukon or suburban with a duramax but i dont think that will happen. I really like the excursion but refuse to by a 6.0l diesel.
thanks
Cory

If you want the seating room and your happy with the 6.0 then I'd stick with a 2500 Yukon xl, unless you can get the Denali in 3/4 form. The added wheel base length and stiffer suspension of the 3/4 makes for much more stable trailer towing. I towed a 5000lb trailer with a '98 tahoe for 2 years and it scared the heck out of me. I know the newer sport utes have larger towing capacities but they still have very sof suspensions and tires.

my two bits on SUV towing.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agree......... tow whats comfortable, and there are a tonn of used excursions on the market in the USA......import one.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen in diesel power there is a company in the states that transplants a Duramax/Alison combo into suburbans etc... Can't remember prices but that might be an option.:beer:

Top Bottom