New Sled! Which One?

DingoNutz

Reaction score
Looking for some objective comments regarding the following sleds. I plan on purchasing one shortly.

2011 Polaris 800 RMK Assault 155"
2010 Ski Doo Summit X 154" (used)
2010 Arctic Cat M8 Sno Pro 153" or HCR 153" (new)

Let the games begin.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That big question and there different people different ideas there all good machines the question is what kinda service can you get when you have a problem ,parts,option out of town service eg. valmont golden mcbride. .Own and work on a lot different sleds .My personal view If not a Doo it just won't do!
This year iam going with 2010 Renegade Backcountry for the type riding that i do i think its going to be perfect fit time will tell

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some objective comments regarding the following sleds. I plan on purchasing one shortly.

Let the games begin.

C'mon get the Sno Pro, you know you want to and you won't regret it. It'll prove to the world that you're a man of great taste.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I first started sled shopping...

I was set on Polaris, then I realized every sled has its problems, but engines is a big one. Not to mention they just came out with a new model which makes the dragons/rmk yesterdays news.

I started looking at Arctic Cat, they are good sleds but have had the same body style for too long, it's tiresome to me. They are due for a change which in turn will result in the old model style decreasing in value because that look is no longer the latest and greatest.

I liked ski-doo but they seem to be limited and was having a tough time finding "the one". One major thing that drawn me to XP was there resale value, some say well they have poor clutching, well you can get a clutch kit.

I shouldn't let resale be a big concern because these are expenses not investments. I think in 5 years when I want to upgrade that this sled will be an easy sell much like most of the 04-07 Revs. I wanted something with low km's because you can buy all the bolt ons and twinkeroo's but you can't buy back KM's.

I upgraded from a 1997 Polaris 700 RMK, its a great sled but with technology and everything I would have been happy with any sled I bought.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the Polaris guys will jump on me for this but they have had the worst 3 yrs any manufacture could possibly have...can't keep an engine in their 800's much longer then 300km. I will be the first to say I hope this yr is alot better for them as nobody wants to own a lemon...that being said I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig trying them.

I would take the Doo or the Cat for sure...I prefer the Doo myself because it matches my riding style but every individual has there own opinion. Although I own the Doo I think Cat has an awesome machine that has proven itself over the last number of yrs to be very reliable and fun to ride. I don't think you can go wrong with either one...hope whatever you pick turns out to be trouble free and you have an excellent winter on the hills.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My group has three 2010 rmks, all three needed top ends within two rides. The liberty 800 was no better, as I towed 2 of them out as well for crank bearings. They were done on warranty, and they guys still love their machines, but I'm sick of towing. We only have two cats in the group, and I love the handling best of all for my style, yet I keep buying doos. Both cats have been good, but I have not made the leap. I just seem to get a little farther, a little easier on the doos, and we have yet to have a major malfunction with any one of the 8 in our group.

I have likely just jinxed myself and will pop a motor every ride and need to be towed out. Then my two buddies riding pianos (yes yamaha makes a beautiful piano) will never let me hear the end of it.

Best bet, rent one, ride with some buddies, and try them all if you can. Sometimes you jump on and it just feels like the right one.

Brians04

Reaction score
Not having owned a polaris my view will be kind of slanted, but the 2 cats i've owned while given, older than the ones your looking at, have been flat out screamers, they go like a bat outta he**, they cant match the handling of my doo.

but from what i've seen in the showroom to get parts, the new polaris, looks to to have borrowed some of the styling and engineering aspects of the doo's...

just my .02, i hope whatever you buy works out for ya

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always been Cat oriented..... but this year's line up for Polaris is awesome. The more I learn and see of the new poos the better I like them. What I have seen that I like so far, I like how narrow and nimble they are. Very easy to lay over.

I could cheat on Cat with a Poo this year.......

whickey

Reaction score
Each one has there advantages. I agree I don't think you can look at a sled as an investment only a expence. I personaly rode cats for a long time and last year I switched to a doo and have not looked back. I am just starting to get into the mod world but I have herd lots about the clutching and I am told that they are alot better now then what they were. I had an m1000 and I do miss the power though.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your saying the you can get a NEW rmk or a NEW hcr for the price of a USED summit?

eitherway get the xp you wont regret it. those other sleds are dogs. rode many last season

SnoPro_78

Reaction score
your saying the you can get a NEW rmk or a NEW hcr for the price of a USED summit?

eitherway get the xp you wont regret it. those other sleds are dogs. rode many last season

LOL hahaha...First off.. Mamma bite your tongue. And I will have to say there is no chance in hell that you can buy a new rmk or cat for the price of a used doo. thats just funny. You can buy a new 2010 summit for $8500.00 at Martin in edmonton. And the 2 best sleds out there for ride, climbing and boodocking is the Cat and the Doo. Thats probably the biggest rivalry on the hill and has been for years.. @ best places to shop are Martin motorsports and Dons speed shop in Wainright. Cheers:beer:

DingoNutz

Reaction score
Thanks for the honest opinions guys.
I'm not saying I can get a new RMK for the price of a used summit, there's just no new Summit X's around, only Everests. I never said anything about price in my original post anyways. I simply wanted a comparison of the sleds listed.
Anything specifically I should be concerned about the Ski Doo. The clutching sounds like it seems to be an issue (which is fixable), I know they addressed the shock issue from the 09's. Anything else.
I just wish the Arctic Cat's had some remodelling down to their styling. Look so old compared to the Poo and Doo. Even though some will argue looks aren't everything. The Cat may be the most reliable of the three engines?

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Let the games begin.

Ski who, pol what, Cat all the way man:d

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My doggy cat breaks trail for a lot of xp's. and yes max you can borrow my track for those big hills..lol

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL hahaha...First off.. Mamma bite your tongue. And I will have to say there is no chance in hell that you can buy a new rmk or cat for the price of a used doo. thats just funny. You can buy a new 2010 summit for $8500.00 at Martin in edmonton. And the 2 best sleds out there for ride, climbing and boodocking is the Cat and the Doo. Thats probably the biggest rivalry on the hill and has been for years.. @ best places to shop are Martin motorsports and Dons speed shop in Wainright. Cheers:beer:

8500$? i dont beleive this 2 weeks ago they were 10500 Plus PDI and Freight and GST.

Tell me where you found this 8500$ summit cause im going to buy one right NOW!!!

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8500$? i dont beleive this 2 weeks ago they were 10500 Plus PDI and Freight and GST.

Tell me where you found this 8500$ summit cause im going to buy one right NOW!!!

Me too. I looked there today, and I got a way higher price. Who is your connection and can I use it?

SnoPro_78

Reaction score

Martin in Edmonton asking $8900.00 plus gst for thereleft over 2010 models. The ad was in the news paper.Buddy called up and after negotiating a bit got it for $8500 plus tax or he could have lied about the 8500 but I did see the ad and it was for 8900 plus gst. Sorry guys this was in October. Tis the season to be gready. Just make them an offer and dont back down

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the honest opinions guys.
I'm not saying I can get a new RMK for the price of a used summit, there's just no new Summit X's around, only Everests. I never said anything about price in my original post anyways. I simply wanted a comparison of the sleds listed.
civic power sports in westlock has a 2011 summit x 163 etec sitting in their showroom, just saw it wednesday, better go get it.....

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Martin in Edmonton asking $8900.00 plus gst for thereleft over 2010 models. The ad was in the news paper.Buddy called up and after negotiating a bit got it for $8500 plus tax or he could have lied about the 8500 but I did see the ad and it was for 8900 plus gst. Sorry guys this was in October. Tis the season to be gready. Just make them an offer and dont back down

I remember a 600 NON E-tec summit being on sale for 8900 But the 800 summit 154 Everests have been 10500- 10900 all summer/ fall.

Top Bottom