new rider

BShap

Reaction score
looking at buying my first bike. budget around 2500. been going back and forth between 125 and 250 2 stroke, or 250 4 stroke. i have limited experience on motorcycles, but was an avid downhill rider. also im not a big guy, 5-9-10 160lbs. any insight and opinions are helpful.
thanks

BShap

Reaction score
also mostly will be riding trails, fsr, etc. no track or racing

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy a cheap 2 stroke... see if you like it... you can alwasy up from there in the future... 4 stroke 250's i hear can be expensive to maintain but if you can find one friend have had great luck with honda 250x's but probably not in your price range especially at the begining of summer... nice thing in your price range if you take care of it you won't loose a lot on the selling it if you have too.. IMHOP

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm about the same hight and weight I've got a KTM 250 xcf and love it.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might have better luck findin a 2-stroke for that kind of money and they are easier/cheaper to fix when they break. That being said if you increase your budget a Honda 250x would be a good choice. I love mine

woodsman27

Reaction score
Find yourself a used yz 125 - Cheap to maintain and I still think starting out on a 2 stroke will make you a better rider in the end. however, if you are going to get into mx right off the bat get a 4 stroke. After a few years of riding a 4 stroke I've gone back to a good ol' yz 250. Ktm's are nice if you're riding trails, but I don't think they're worth the price. You can build a nice yz 250 enduro bike for a lot less.

Top Bottom