New Costco generator

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Costco A-Ipower 3450w/4300w dual power fuel generator. On sale now for $699. Anyone have any experience with these? Looking at running my AC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240505_065414_com.android.chrome (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_065414_com.android.chrome (1).jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 99

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thing about costco, they take just about anything back if somthing does go wrong with it. I had a 3300 running watt generator and it was only enough to power the ac in my trailer. Any other loads and it would flip the breaker

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thing about costco, they take just about anything back if somthing does go wrong with it. I had a 3300 running watt generator and it was only enough to power the ac in my trailer. Any other loads and it would flip the breaker
so if the fridge and the ac on would it flip the breaker?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking at the Costco A-Ipower 3450w/4300w dual power fuel generator. On sale now for $699. Anyone have any experience with these? Looking at running my AC
I like the idea of this being dual fuel
I'll be following this thread :)

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if the fridge and the ac on would it flip the breaker?
Yes. The fridge auto switched to power then would overload the gen. A simple switch and it's over to propane. But somthing that kinda irritated me. And didn't leave you much power for other things.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I bought an Onan P4500i last year. It was gasoline only, but this year they have released a dual fuel model. They are about twice the price of the Costco one but have remote start, electric start, and pull rope. Runs 22 hours on a full tank of fuel. Haven't tested it with my trailer AC yet but hopefully will this year.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
BIL bought one last year, he's happy with it. Runs their AC and microwave at the same time.

Definitely smaller and lighter than my 3100 watt champion
That must be a small AC unit as most are 3000 watt and peak at 3500 so a 3600 generator would not power a larger AC unit and a microwave which is roughly 1000 watts. Also you get what you pay for anyways, so spend the money as you spent in on the RV and get the proper generator rather than spending $ 700 on something that might just do wat you need it to. More of a hassle when your camping and you find this out. Or don't run the microwave or coffee pot when AC is running. never ran my AC yet, I have fantastic fans, open lower windows, run those and trailer is cool.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That must be a small AC unit as most are 3000 watt and peak at 3500 so a 3600 generator would not power a larger AC unit and a microwave which is roughly 1000 watts. Also you get what you pay for anyways, so spend the money as you spent in on the RV and get the proper generator rather than spending $ 700 on something that might just do wat you need it to. More of a hassle when your camping and you find this out. Or don't run the microwave or coffee pot when AC is running. never ran my AC yet, I have fantastic fans, open lower windows, run those and trailer is cool.
Good points to think about. I plan on if I run the Ac it is just to cool the RV down before we go to bed. Nothing else will be on at that time. Our microwave is our bread box, never had the TV yet. Our yearly campsite has no power or water so we run lots of solar lights around the site and have 2 different solar panels to keep the batteries charge up.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You're quoting starting watts and not running watts.

Typically a 15k BTU AC is the largest you can get, which have a full load running watts of just under 2000 watts, about 3500 starting, but many have soft starts these days that bring that down considerably. Which leaves lots of room to run a 1200 watt microwave with it.

Lots of guys used to run the Yamaha 2400 watt generators for their AC units, it just required a soft start and ensuring the fridge was on gas and the converter was off while using the AC.

That generator works, so do the Champion generators that Costco also sells and I currently own. Go ahead and pay $3k for a "proper generator" if that's what floats your boat. I put my money into batteries, solar panel, a charge controller and inverter so I don't have to listen to a generator run all day.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
You're quoting starting watts and not running watts.

Typically a 15k BTU AC is the largest you can get, which have a full load running watts of just under 2000 watts, about 3500 starting, but many have soft starts these days that bring that down considerably. Which leaves lots of room to run a 1200 watt microwave with it.

Lots of guys used to run the Yamaha 2400 watt generators for their AC units, it just required a soft start and ensuring the fridge was on gas and the converter was off while using the AC.

That generator works, so do the Champion generators that Costco also sells and I currently own. Go ahead and pay $3k for a "proper generator" if that's what floats your boat. I put my money into batteries, solar panel, a charge controller and inverter so I don't have to listen to a generator run all day.
Many places wont allow you to run the champion or similar generators, I have been at BVJ in reserved camping for 25 years and they have been restricting those and security had come by and turned on of our campers units off and said read the rules, they instructed us not to have it running again or the site owner will be fined and he will asked to leave, we all clapped when they shut it down, you couldn't talk and it was behind his trailer. The one Tyler is referring to is seems like a decent unit. I would sooner recommend a bigger unit as its not racing all day trying to keep up where a larger unit isn't. I have both honda Eu2000 and a Eu3000, the 3000 purs along nicely where the 2000 is racing half the days. And fuel is about the same so I prefer running that all day

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at them , went with the 3800-3600 running one in same brand

Little bit heavier , but bigger wheels and cart handle , e start and remote start fir the win

New one is 850 at Costco, bought a used one with 0.8 hrs for 650 lol

Has bigger fuel tank than the handle one too , so a bit more run time

Last year 2 times in a hail storm I'm out trying to fire up old pull cord genny , fk that , remote start it from Inside

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got this big 10kw firman from Home depot. Haven't had to use it yet, but hoping it will heat my hotub.

Be great for camping too. Only weights 300lbs but bring some ear plugs :common001:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at them , went with the 3800-3600 running one in same brand

Little bit heavier , but bigger wheels and cart handle , e start and remote start fir the win

New one is 850 at Costco, bought a used one with 0.8 hrs for 650 lol

Has bigger fuel tank than the handle one too , so a bit more run time

Last year 2 times in a hail storm I'm out trying to fire up old pull cord genny , fk that , remote start it from Inside

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
How much does the one you got weigh?

Top Bottom