need Information on a Honda Big red 85 250cc

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello All, this w-end I went hunting and took the old Big Red out, was working find ,park it went and look for deer and start it everything was good shifted to 1 gear everything ok and went to shift to 2nd would not go in and drop gear now the machine won't start cause I can't get it into neutral and the shifter seem to not click properly any ideas what the problem might be , also I really take care of that unit it's not like i beat the sh%t out of it , please any info of suggestions on what it is, thank you in advance

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the shift shaft that attaches to the shifter goes thru the engine cases to the other side, behind the clutch there is a pin which the shift shaft goes over, this pin becomes loose and falls out or the shift shaft fails where it contacts the pin. In order to get the cluch cover off some weld on the frame has to be ground off to allow for enough clearance. Make sure to locktite the pin in when reassembling. Pay attention to how the kickstart is installed as well as how the reverse lock-out goes in. Good luck...those were a great old bike !!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't believe the old girl broke on you, good luck fixin er up mark.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope u get it back on the trails, i had one as a teenager, best machine ever. I put mine thru hell & it always wanted to go again. Good Luck Man.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the shift shaft that attaches to the shifter goes thru the engine cases to the other side, behind the clutch there is a pin which the shift shaft goes over, this pin becomes loose and falls out or the shift shaft fails where it contacts the pin. In order to get the cluch cover off some weld on the frame has to be ground off to allow for enough clearance. Make sure to locktite the pin in when reassembling. Pay attention to how the kickstart is installed as well as how the reverse lock-out goes in. Good luck...those were a great old bike !!!

Now that's a Big Red master right there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom