Need advice on buying ramps :)

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Hey overkill i've seen a video of the unit you're talking about, it's pretty rad! But I want something a lot cheaper!! Thanks anyways :beer:

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Ain't that the truth!

You were at the Avy course last November in Calgary I think.. Glad to see you back on the forums.

I think I have what Wingwalkers talking about, I still back up to a small snowbank with the ramp if I can.

yup back on the forums, I always get back on around November, haha.
I will forsure be looking for snowbanks when there are some. Going to the sled show in Calgary this weekend I'll see what's down there too.. if there is anything!! hah :rolleyes:

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Foxxy,

I have a set of Princess Auto ramps already built up with superglides. I just recently got a deck so I would be willing to let them go for pretty cheap. Send me a PM if you're interested.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get the longest ramps that will fit inside your truck box. the short ones are crap and may get you into trouble. the less ramp angle the better. you will need puck board or superglides to get skis up the ramp and a tie down to hold ramp to tailgate. :)

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ditto on the puck board or superglides. Modern skis have a bad habit of catching on the cross memebers of the ramp. Without the glides, you run a real risk of an accident. Even if you use 1/2" pressure treated plywood, you are better off.

I had a bad incident with a rev that sent me over the bars.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You could always cut up a old plastic box liner and use it on the ramp where your skis go, if you don't wanna buy super glides to save a little money........its good if you have one lying around or know someone who does. This could be slippery if you walk on them.
cheers

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
ditto on the puck board or superglides. Modern skis have a bad habit of catching on the cross memebers of the ramp. Without the glides, you run a real risk of an accident. Even if you use 1/2" pressure treated plywood, you are better off.

I had a bad incident with a rev that sent me over the bars.

This is what I'm talking about! I'd rather have this happen on the mountain rather than when loading :eek:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey overkill i've seen a video of the unit you're talking about, it's pretty rad! But I want something a lot cheaper!! Thanks anyways :beer:

do you know a welder? if you built some thing out of steel, and ruffly like it, you could do something alot cheeper! yes the snow banks are the cheepest! if your in the area, Id help you load your sled! lol!

SNAFU

Reaction score
I also have a Princess Auto tri-fold ramp. I rivet puck board on the outer 2 "ladders" and also attached 2" aluminium angle on the edges to keep the skis's on the ramp. If I was doing it again, I would would use superglides instead of puck board. The puck board is way too slippery. If you used superglides, then you may not need the angle on the sides of the ramp. I think I saw some kind of Superglide knock-offs at Princess too.

The ramp works really well and when holded up will lay flat on the bed behind one ski. The ramp is 77" long and I don't think it is too steep and I have a 3/4" Dodge so it sits pretty high.

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
I also have a Princess Auto tri-fold ramp. I rivet puck board on the outer 2 "ladders" and also attached 2" aluminium angle on the edges to keep the skis's on the ramp. If I was doing it again, I would would use superglides instead of puck board. The puck board is way too slippery. If you used superglides, then you may not need the angle on the sides of the ramp. I think I saw some kind of Superglide knock-offs at Princess too.

The ramp works really well and when holded up will lay flat on the bed behind one ski. The ramp is 77" long and I don't think it is too steep and I have a 3/4" Dodge so it sits pretty high.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
send a message to ~Rowdy~

She has somesort of a ramp set up that works for her halfton and she loads the sled by herself all the time when we go riding...

well thats when she isn't trying to park the sled in the back seat of the truck :rolleyes:

Or you can build this whizzy little ramp...

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
send a message to ~Rowdy~

She has somesort of a ramp set up that works for her halfton and she loads the sled by herself all the time when we go riding...

well thats when she isn't trying to park the sled in the back seat of the truck :rolleyes:

Or you can build this whizzy little ramp...

I know Rowdy thanks. That's a rad ramp, I wish I was better with wood bahaha ;)

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just in Princess auto the nother day and I think they hasd some ramps on sale...Crappy Tire has some on sale as well....

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have the tri fold with glides,, not too steep but work fine for sled and quad////

dont by crappy tire ramps lol..

tri fold wont split or move when loading and slides in beside sled after...
when loading to avoid the steep ramp try and get tailgate low like have tires in gutter so tailgate is lower therefore less attack angle while loading,, I have seen some do the reverse of this lol by accident and it gets ugly...

guy who bought my M8 was loading at my house after purchse he goes to run sled up ramp and bang tailgate slam shut and this 8 ft steel ramp goes straight in the air and comes back and hits this guy in the head,,I thought the guy be dead or at least blood everywhere,, he was fuzzy and a bump but luckily not too bad.. very scary,, he made me nervous for the next few loads lol....

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Foxxy,

Here is another load ramp idea, stumbled across this last night. Looks like a nice light ramp system, purchase the Alumi-Loc to mount on your tailgate to save you from attaching straps everytime. Looks pretty slick! I purchased my 5000lb aluminum car hauler ramps from Discount Ramps, 1/3rd the weight of my old steel monsters and they work extremely well.

Whiteout Snowmobile Ramps at DiscountRamps.com

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a guy here called wallyfromcalgary had a set for sale last spring, not sure if he sold them
Try to pm him
They sold in 2 days. They were the ones from Princess Auto and I put puck board on them. They worked great but I bought a tilt trailer so I didn't need them any more.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Foxxy,

Here is another load ramp idea, stumbled across this last night. Looks like a nice light ramp system, purchase the Alumi-Loc to mount on your tailgate to save you from attaching straps everytime. Looks pretty slick! I purchased my 5000lb aluminum car hauler ramps from Discount Ramps, 1/3rd the weight of my old steel monsters and they work extremely well.

Whiteout Snowmobile Ramps at DiscountRamps.com

now that is the way to go! Im going to get some!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Runners for the skies a old plastic box liner out of pickup that has the ribs in it. Use the bottom and cut it to width with skill saw and attach to ramps.
Have used this for years and is lighter than other produces.

Cheers!

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the angle you can expect with th princess auto ramps 77x50

My tailgate is 33" from the ground also if you can get your back wheels in the gutter or some other form of depression the angle will decrease

Attachments

• varios 3 2010 041.jpg
    varios 3 2010 041.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 139
  • varios 3 2010 042.jpg
    varios 3 2010 042.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 138

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sen these on the princess auto web site 84x54 and already set up for sleds

Works out cheeper than buying a set of the shorter ramps and a box of superglides

Attachments

• 8329989.jpg
    8329989.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Top Bottom