NDP Minority Govt in Alberta

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the NDP is a very real alternative to the Conservatives, you have to be blind to not see that. I have no desire to see the burden of low oil prices placed on the citizens while the big corporations continue to turn a profit. I'm not sure who i'll vote for, but I do know it won't be the Prentice team.
I'm with you, not sure who im voting for either. However you should see some of the Q1 results from "big corporations", definitely not making profit. Cenovus lost over $600MM...

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
NDP would make a very strong opposition party, and would challenge the PC's and keep them on their toes.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with you, not sure who im voting for either. However you should see some of the Q1 results from "big corporations", definitely not making profit. Cenovus lost over $600MM...

They didn't lose 600m. They just didn't make it as they were forecasted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the NDP get in and start taxing businesses as they say they will do they will put a lot of people out of work.
I will be voting PC!

Cast my vote today as I head out of town for work on Monday!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow....just saw some of the polls, NDP gov't might be a reality here in AB

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They didn't lose 600m. They just didn't make it as they were forecasted to.

Actually, they LOST 600m, as in they spent 600m more than they brought in.

aocbiz

Reaction score
Go ahead and vote in NDP and enjoy paying more tax on everything.
Just look at BC they tax everything even your house, it's crazy.
Buy a $500,000.00 house and pay $8000.00 to the province on top of that just because.
Buy a USED car, truck, sled, side by side, trailer, motorcycle or boat and pay an additional 12% on the purchase price (or fair market value at their discretion), when you go to register the the thing. So that covers the idea of a gifted vehicle or sled etc. (see the last paragraph below).
NOTHING IS FREE.........VOTE NDP!

Here's a little snippet of the rules on the real estate tax. Vote the NDP in.........you better get your wallet ready!

BC TRANSFER TAX

When do I have to pay the tax?

You are obliged to pay the tax, when you:

• acquire a registered interest in the property, or
  • gain an additional registered interest in the property, or
  • become the registered holder of a lease, life estate, or
  • right to purchase against the property is required to pay the tax unless they qualify for an exemption. This person is referred to as the transferee or purchaser
Some examples of taxable transactions:

• a transfer of legal title
  • a right to purchase (an agreement for sale)
  • a lease or lease modification agreement
  • a life estate (they get you when you come and go!)
  • a foreclosure
  • a property transfer pursuant to a corporate reorganization
  • an escheat, forfeiture or quit claim
  • a Crown grant
What happens I do not pay the tax?
Your transaction may not be registered!

What is the Fair Market Value?!
In most cases it is the purchasing price. However, in some cases there is no monetary exchange (gift, transfer to a shareholder). In such situation, fair market value is used for the tax purposes. This value is usually based on BC property assessment.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A new tax calculated on the sale price of your home will go into effect very shortly in Alberta, same as BC, and it was initiated and approved by the PC's, so that argument is a bit late.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A new tax calculated on the sale price of your home will go into effect very shortly in Alberta, same as BC, and it was initiated and approved by the PC's, so that argument is a bit late.
its nowhere near the same as BC. Alberta will be going up to about $1200 on a $500,000 home. BC has land transfer tax on top, so $500,000 home is closer to $8000 in taxes

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and vote in NDP and enjoy paying more tax on everything.
Just look at BC they tax everything even your house, it's crazy.
Buy a $500,000.00 house and pay $8000.00 to the province on top of that just because.
Buy a USED car, truck, sled, side by side, trailer, motorcycle or boat and pay an additional 12% on the purchase price (or fair market value at their discretion), when you go to register the the thing. So that covers the idea of a gifted vehicle or sled etc. (see the last paragraph below).
NOTHING IS FREE.........VOTE NDP!

Here's a little snippet of the rules on the real estate tax. Vote the NDP in.........you better get your wallet ready!

BC TRANSFER TAX

When do I have to pay the tax?

You are obliged to pay the tax, when you:

• acquire a registered interest in the property, or
  • gain an additional registered interest in the property, or
  • become the registered holder of a lease, life estate, or
  • right to purchase against the property is required to pay the tax unless they qualify for an exemption. This person is referred to as the transferee or purchaser
Some examples of taxable transactions:

• a transfer of legal title
  • a right to purchase (an agreement for sale)
  • a lease or lease modification agreement
  • a life estate (they get you when you come and go!)
  • a foreclosure
  • a property transfer pursuant to a corporate reorganization
  • an escheat, forfeiture or quit claim
  • a Crown grant
What happens I do not pay the tax?
Your transaction may not be registered!

What is the Fair Market Value?!
In most cases it is the purchasing price. However, in some cases there is no monetary exchange (gift, transfer to a shareholder). In such situation, fair market value is used for the tax purposes. This value is usually based on BC property assessment.

But as a serious question, has there actually been an NDP government in a province capable of funding itself without insane taxes? We all know BC doesn't have the resource driven tax base like Alberta. So I think this is an unfair comparison.

Also with the progressive royalty rates the NDP are proposing might actually help reduce the boom and bust cycles we all see. Plus on top of that the are going to roll back the health premiums, mortgage tax increase, and registration fee increases Prentice promised.

Not to tote the NDP line, but I just really hate the way the PC's seem to make decisions more for their Oil Executive buddies instead of the average Alberta. Whatever happened to the government looking out for their Martha's and Henry's?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definatley the most interesting election Alberta has ever had, got a chuckle on the news tonight they had some business gazillionaires warning of an ndp gov, all I could think was how much worse could the PC campaign be putting filthy rich Alberta businessmen on tv warning of issue of increased corporate taxes.

Top Bottom