My experience with the Tesla Model 3

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
[h=1]Tesla Vehicles Should Beware Of Coastal Cities, Says Gruber Motors[/h]https://youtu.be/LVpCCJwsFpQ

[FONT=&quot]

[COLOR=var(--black-color)]By: Gustavo Henrique Ruffo

[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=&quot][h=2]The rust on the bolts of a battery pack from a Model S was concerning.[/h]Could a car with an aluminum body ever have rust problems? The video above, from Gruber Motor Company, shows it can. Not on the body itself, obviously, but rather on its battery pack. Almost all bolts on the battery pack cover of this Tesla have rusted so badly over almost nine years that Pete Gruber said his team had a hard time removing them.
The 2012 Model S came from San Diego, and it had a range of 17 miles when the company got it. Originally, the car would offer around 200 miles, according to the video description. When they took out the battery pack in search of the issue, they discovered how badly rusted the cover bolts were.

tesla-vehicles-should-beware-of-coastal-cities-says-gruber-motors.jpg

The surprising bit is that these bolts were under an intumescent fire suppression blanket. This device aimed to reduce any fire risk with the battery pack: when it is exposed to flames or high temperatures, it expands. In this Model S, it should also provide another barrier against rust by protecting the bolts from salt air. In this case, it didn’t.
That inspired Pete Gruber to not only talk about the repair in this car but also to warn about the dangers these Tesla battery packs may face if used in coastal cities. Ironically, Tesla was founded in Palo Alto, and its main factory is in Fremont, both of with are in the San Francisco Bay area – or else, by the sea.

Gruber mentioned that salt air consists of chloride ion migration, which is the cause of rust in iron components. He also discovered that half of the world’s population would live in coastal areas, which shows how important it would be for Tesla to have used stainless steel bolts in the battery pack.
More than that, Gruber’s concern is with other Tesla vehicles in coastal cities. He believes they may not have these steel components properly protected against salt air, as was the case for this 2012 Model S.
When it comes to the battery pack issue, it was apparently caused by another parasitic cell such as the one Gruber Motor Company fixed back in December. The company snipped it out of the circuit. In the previous repair, that cost $5,000. Pete Gruber did not mention the price in this case.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Given that our daily driver spent another week in the shop for a blown rear main seal, and the fact that it must be plugged in at anything colder than -25 to have it start, I've been curious about how the Tesla's perform in the cold in terms of warmup. Found this on the Model 3, I'm impressed, I knew the heating system was good, but didn't realize that it was literally minutes to bring the cabin up to room temperature. Now got me wondering how Tesla's new heat pump system is working. If Tesla would install a Supercharger in Whitecourt this could actually be a viable option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL9zveDz8H0&ab_channel=SaskTesla

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy shyt has a tesla and parks it in a tent i wouldn’t park my sleds in a tent must live in a very low crime rate neighbourhood

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Given that our daily driver spent another week in the shop for a blown rear main seal, and the fact that it must be plugged in at anything colder than -25 to have it start, I've been curious about how the Tesla's perform in the cold in terms of warmup. Found this on the Model 3, I'm impressed, I knew the heating system was good, but didn't realize that it was literally minutes to bring the cabin up to room temperature. Now got me wondering how Tesla's new heat pump system is working. If Tesla would install a Supercharger in Whitecourt this could actually be a viable option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL9zveDz8H0&ab_channel=SaskTesla

They heat up very quick. You can program it to be warm at a certain time everyday (mon-fri ready to drive at 7am for example) as well. Heat pump will get you a little better range but the biggest thing in winter driving is starting with a warm battery. This is why you want a proper home charging set up for these frigid conditions. 120v charging in -25 is basically useless. 500km range is 250-300 in -30.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They heat up very quick. You can program it to be warm at a certain time everyday (mon-fri ready to drive at 7am for example) as well. Heat pump will get you a little better range but the biggest thing in winter driving is starting with a warm battery. This is why you want a proper home charging set up for these frigid conditions. 120v charging in -25 is basically useless. 500km range is 250-300 in -30.

If we bought a Tesla I'd have the Wall Connector installed on the outside of the garage, I have more than enough power left over in my 100amp house panel to put it on a 60 amp breaker, as long as there isn't something in the electrical code preventing this.

I think the heat pump is a game changer, from what I can find the Y is getting up to 20% better efficiency than the 3 is at around -10 temps.

The biggest kicker for us is still the lack of charging infrastructure, without a high output charger between Grande Prairie and Edmonton it makes a day trip to Edmonton and back almost impossible, especially in the winter.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If we bought a Tesla I'd have the Wall Connector installed on the outside of the garage, I have more than enough power left over in my 100amp house panel to put it on a 60 amp breaker, as long as there isn't something in the electrical code preventing this.

I think the heat pump is a game changer, from what I can find the Y is getting up to 20% better efficiency than the 3 is at around -10 temps.

The biggest kicker for us is still the lack of charging infrastructure, without a high output charger between Grande Prairie and Edmonton it makes a day trip to Edmonton and back almost impossible, especially in the winter.

So where should the funding come from to develop these charging stations ?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So where should the funding come from to develop these charging stations ?

Tesla has built all their own superchargers, 20,000+ globally so far, I don't see why they can't build one there too. Eventually it will happen once they feel there is demand.

Or private businesses can install them to attract customers, like at existing gas stations. Petro-Canada is doing this too. Seems like a sound business model to me, making a profit on electricity sold from a plug in.

No other automaker in history has created an infrastructure to refuel/recharge their vehicles, Tesla is the outlier here, especially considering a Tesla can be refueled in the owners driveway.

Last edited:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at the comparison it appears the Tesla is a better value but really when one is spending $140,000 on a vehicle, they have a different perspective on value than I do so just may cough up an extra $45,000 for the Porsche badge. I doubt one would be able to register much of a difference between the 0 to 60 MPH times as both would be pretty intense. I seldom run full throttle from a standstill in any of my vehicles so imagine one would need to do so even less in either of these two vehicles.

I personally going to wait until the 4680 battery comes out in the model 3. Hopefully that will start in the next year or so....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Looking at the comparison it appears the Tesla is a better value but really when one is spending $140,000 on a vehicle, they have a different perspective on value than I do so just may cough up an extra $45,000 for the Porsche badge. I doubt one would be able to register much of a difference between the 0 to 60 MPH times as both would be pretty intense. I seldom run full throttle from a standstill in any of my vehicles so imagine one would need to do so even less in either of these two vehicles.

I personally going to wait until the 4680 battery comes out in the model 3. Hopefully that will start in the next year or so....

Based on that theory Panasonic shares might be a steal right now at under $14, they not only produce a 4680 but are partnered with Tesla to set up and run the Nevada Gigafactory.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Based on that theory Panasonic shares might be a steal right now at under $14, they not only produce a 4680 but are partnered with Tesla to set up and run the Nevada Gigafactory.

Haha. I have never made money on the stock market and on the next invitation to participate in an IPO I think I will outline my success rate and suggest they pay me to stay the heck away from their stock :)

One would think that at some point the technology will remain stable long enough to produce a return instead of being plowed back into R&D and funding building scale. The 4680 might be that driver to profit for Panasonic and the EV companies. I guess we will see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuqLMzUGvTc

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The plaid+ will have 4680 cells and run the quarter mile under 9 seconds. But yeah $140k USD is a lot of money. But it will be the fastest production car ever made so technically it’s a bargain.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The plaid+ will have 4680 cells and run the quarter mile under 9 seconds. But yeah $140k USD is a lot of money. But it will be the fastest production car ever made so technically it’s a bargain.

It’s really tough not to be awed by the performance that the DC tractive motors are capable of producing.....if they could somehow come up with a more viable power source though......

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s really tough not to be awed by the performance that the DC tractive motors are capable of producing.....if they could somehow come up with a more viable power source though......

The gravitational potential of water seems to work pretty well

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brad lived in Ottawa and was a lifelong environmentalist. He was sick of the world; of Covid-19, Brexit, Russian belligerence, global warming, racial tensions, and the rest of the disturbing stories that occupy media headlines.

Brad drove his car into his garage and then sealed every doorway and window as best he could. He got back into his car and wound down all the windows, selected his favorite radio station, started the car and revved it to a slow idle.
A worried neighbor peered through his garage window and saw him in the car. She notified the emergency services and they broke in, pulling Brad from the car.

A little sip of water and, surprisingly, he was in perfect condition . . . but his Tesla had a dead battery.

Brad is a Liberal and will continue to vote for Trudeau.

Top Bottom