My experience with the Tesla Model 3

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys are starting to sound like the wine of a electric motor I would prefer to hear the sound of a gas motor making hp but electric would be great if you want to listen to Bach on your Bose stereo

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sorry I am sure that some where in this thread is the answer to these questions but not at the front or the back. My wife is getting a Tesla. I would like to install a proper fast charge station for her car in the garage. I'm also considering installing an out door station (for family and friends). I had upgraded the power to a Quonset that I tore down a few years ago so I have a 100+ amp 230v 1ph Service free in very close proximity to the garage and my parking pad. I'm wondering; a) Do I buy charger from Tesla or is there a better or other option that I should consider? b) Is there charging methods or types that preserve battery life? c) I would like to have a charging station/s that is suitable for all makes and is upgradable for future technology improvments. d) Is there local suppliers in Calgary or do I buy on line (I will install my self). e) Is there other consideration that I haven't thought of? Thank You for you help.
There are 2 types of chargers. The best and fastest is the Superchargers. They can charge at up to 120KW. Superchargers are usually located within walking distance of restaurants and other services. So plug in, go eat, bathroom break, and continue your trip. 0-80% will be your fastest charging and the remaining 20% will taper off quite a bit. Empty to full could take about an hour depending on your packs size. Lots of times it's more efficient to charge for 25-30minutes to 80% and just keep driving than to wait an hour to get to 100%. The application on your phone will show you the battery percentage, time remaining, and also give you notifications as to when it will be done. The navigation system will tell you where and how long to charge to continue your trip but you can always charge extra if you want.

The other kind of charger is a destination charger at hotels, restaurants, and other businesses. These chargers have a charge rate of about 15KW (70km/h roughly). Pull into your hotel, plug in and charge while you sleep, and leave in the morning with a full charge.

There are also a ton of other third party chargers that can be accessed from PlugShare or Chargepoint. Some require adapters with the most common being j1772.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sorry I am sure that some where in this thread is the answer to these questions but not at the front or the back. My wife is getting a Tesla. I would like to install a proper fast charge station for her car in the garage. I'm also considering installing an out door station (for family and friends). I had upgraded the power to a Quonset that I tore down a few years ago so I have a 100+ amp 230v 1ph Service free in very close proximity to the garage and my parking pad. I'm wondering; a) Do I buy charger from Tesla or is there a better or other option that I should consider? b) Is there charging methods or types that preserve battery life? c) I would like to have a charging station/s that is suitable for all makes and is upgradable for future technology improvments. d) Is there local suppliers in Calgary or do I buy on line (I will install my self). e) Is there other consideration that I haven't thought of? Thank You for you help.

Hi

a) Buy the charger from Tesla, it's the best bang for the buck and the install is easy. Then you can keep the mobile charger with the car all the time (you can charge with the mobile charger at home but it will be capped at 8kw compared to 11kw on the wall charger).

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/wall-connector

Get the 18 foot cord, you will never regret having extra cord but you will regret not having enough.
#6 gauge copper wire (you only need 2 hots and a ground, don't bother with a neutral as it's not necessary) and a 60amp breaker.

b) Try to keep the charge between 20-80% if you can. I set mine up to charge to 80% for daily driving as that's usually plenty. It's fine to charge to 100% if you use it right away but you don't want to charge to 100% and then leave it sitting for long periods of time. It's ok to go below 20% too but try not to leave it unplugged at a low percent and parked out in the freezing cold.

c) If you want all makes charging you can get a home charger that uses the J1772 end and you will use an adapter with your Tesla and it will work with all the other brands without an adapter. If you want to go this route you should use something like this... You could use the Tesla charger with an adapter for your non-Tesla vehicles as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/ChargePoint-H...d=1&keywords=ev+charger&qid=1611934305&sr=8-5

It's 50% more expensive than the Tesla charger and will charge slightly slower.

d) There should be some electric vehicle supplies in a city like Calgary but it depends if you need it fast or not. If you can wait I'd probably order online. The car will come with a mobile charging which will be compatible with a range of plugs (120v 15amp all the way to 240v 50amp with the appropriate adapter). For plug adapters check this out....

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

e) If you want, use my referral code and we both get 1500km of free supercharging.

http://ts.la/john65083

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, 18 stops to drive 2000 miles. That is almost laughable. That alone is the reason why they are not going to get true mainstream outside the commuter crowd until the range changes. Ya I know you diehards will make anything work, but....

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, 18 stops to drive 2000 miles. That is almost laughable. That alone is the reason why they are not going to get true mainstream outside the commuter crowd until the range changes. Ya I know you diehards will make anything work, but....

Nothing wrong with a 2005 VW Passat TDI and a piss jug. 2 stops for a 3000km drive.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did some research on the Tesla supercharging stations. This is what I found out....

They are fed from 480v three phase power which feeds into a 1MW block that feeds 4 chargers.
Each 4 charger bank requires its own block and electrical feed.
Each block typically consists of a 350KW utility supply and a 700KW battery that recharges when the block is idle.
If the utility is incapable of supplying the full 350KW, the block is derated, apparently common in rural area chargers.
If the battery in the block is drawn down from multiple cars charging, the block is derated.
If the battery in the block is outside it’s ideal charge/ temperature criteria, it’s derated or shut down.
If the charger is located in an area with extremes of temperature, the block is derated.
The charger will only supply the full 250kw if the car battery is within certain parameters of charge and temperature
The charger only supplies the full 250kw from about 20% to 50% of battery capacity, then ramps down.
Older cars cannot make use of the full supercharger output due to differences in batteries.
If multiple cars are using the supercharger simultaneously, the block may derate due to over temperature, or shut off
Newer cars have a feature that prepares the battery for rapid charging as you approach the charger. If the battery is not at the correct state, the charger will not charge at maximum rate until the battery is safe to receive it.
In hot weather, the fans and A/C on the car may be required to run to cool the car battery, resulting in longer charge times.

So....the rapid charging times quoted by Tesla have some conditions attached.....YMMV.

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the awesome information. You saved me a pile of time and effort. I won't be doing the install till this summer, but I will defiantly use your referral code. If that code stale dates I will be sure to get a hold of you for an update when the time comes.
Cheers
Keith
Hi

a) Buy the charger from Tesla, it's the best bang for the buck and the install is easy. Then you can keep the mobile charger with the car all the time (you can charge with the mobile charger at home but it will be capped at 8kw compared to 11kw on the wall charger).

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/wall-connector

Get the 18 foot cord, you will never regret having extra cord but you will regret not having enough.
#6 gauge copper wire (you only need 2 hots and a ground, don't bother with a neutral as it's not necessary) and a 60amp breaker.

b) Try to keep the charge between 20-80% if you can. I set mine up to charge to 80% for daily driving as that's usually plenty. It's fine to charge to 100% if you use it right away but you don't want to charge to 100% and then leave it sitting for long periods of time. It's ok to go below 20% too but try not to leave it unplugged at a low percent and parked out in the freezing cold.

c) If you want all makes charging you can get a home charger that uses the J1772 end and you will use an adapter with your Tesla and it will work with all the other brands without an adapter. If you want to go this route you should use something like this... You could use the Tesla charger with an adapter for your non-Tesla vehicles as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/ChargePoint-H...d=1&keywords=ev+charger&qid=1611934305&sr=8-5

It's 50% more expensive than the Tesla charger and will charge slightly slower.

d) There should be some electric vehicle supplies in a city like Calgary but it depends if you need it fast or not. If you can wait I'd probably order online. The car will come with a mobile charging which will be compatible with a range of plugs (120v 15amp all the way to 240v 50amp with the appropriate adapter). For plug adapters check this out....

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

e) If you want, use my referral code and we both get 1500km of free supercharging.

http://ts.la/john65083

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

GLJ research eh?

0a3b887d9aaa3071c4186cd4f98daf40.jpg

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gordon Johnson is a well known Tesla short, he has a bias and very desperate incentive to publish often false or at the very least misleading information on Tesla.

Tesla makes 25ish percent margins on their vehicles, much more than any other manufacture, and they are growing at 50% year over year, currently building three huge factories. R&D and growth is where their profits are going.

I always enjoy listening to Gordon though, year after year of being proven a fool and he doesn’t give up. And his arguments are easily picked apart by anyone willing to dig deeper than the MSM.

Top Bottom