My experience with the Tesla Model 3

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Between lockdown, too much to eat and drink etc., I have finally gotten round to reading about Tesla's battery day which just puts me a few months behind. The new 4680 format solves some problems, increases storage capacity and has a significant cost saving both in manufacturing the battery and the complexity of the battery cassette. This should put the EV on par with respect to range and cost. The new battery format also can accept faster charging too. Interesting times ahead.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...e-half-the-cost-could-supply-other-automakers

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if Tesla is barking up the wrong tree with Lithium-Ion, solid state batteries are soon to come onto the scene, VW and Toyota are both heavily invested in solid state. The stock market seems to have faith in solid state, QuantumScape has seen a 1000% price increase in the last 2 months.

https://www.wired.com/story/quantumscape-solid-state-battery/

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if Tesla is barking up the wrong tree with Lithium-Ion, solid state batteries are soon to come onto the scene, VW and Toyota are both heavily invested in solid state. The stock market seems to have faith in solid state, QuantumScape has seen a 1000% price increase in the last 2 months.

https://www.wired.com/story/quantumscape-solid-state-battery/

I am not sure if there will be one clear winner in the near future for the energy source of transportation in general particularly with respect to battery operated EV's. Unlike video cassettes and disc formats, electricity doesn't care where it is stored and each manufacturer will make its choices based on cost and capacity. Solid state sounds really cool but will be awhile before it is as widely deployed as Tesla's units are.

Hydrogen will still be a long time for wide adoption as there is no widely available infrastructure for manufacture and refueling.

Lots of interesting technologies in all sorts of areas in transportation and manufacturing. The next 10 years are going to be amazing for thise interested in moving ahead and hell for those who refuse to accept anything but the status quo.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, they couldn’t fit more misinformation and lies in that article?

Well if it’s all bad info, let’s hear your rebuttal . Let us know the facts as you know them . This is your opportunity to do as they have done .

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to but I have been incredibly busy watching my car charge. It’s almost like a full time job
I have been incredibly not busy because I filled mine up with diesel in 120 sec perfectly on route on my way from work.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been incredibly not busy because I filled mine up with diesel in 120 sec perfectly on route on my way from work.

An electric car is plugged in when you get home and is charged by time you want to use it next. No extra stop needed, think of all the things you can do with that extra 120 seconds...just sayin'

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An electric car is plugged in when you get home and is charged by time you want to use it next. No extra stop needed, think of all the things you can do with that extra 120 seconds...just sayin'

Just enough time for all the fanboys to get on their knees and blow elon musk.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The irony of the EV is the people and places it would be easiest to configure for charging stations are the least likely to use it, while those who are likely to buy them won't have a easy way to make it practical.

If you live in a house and can put a plug in the garage, it's not too bad, never mind the fact that no existing residential subdivisions will be able to handle that amount of increased power draw if EV become really popular. But in places where they are most likely to be, it's packed cities where multifamily housing is much more prominent. How many plugs do you think a 200 suite apartment will have? I know some going up in the city here are putting in a few plugs, like 5 I think for a complex of around 600 suites. I wouldn't want to be in line for that charger if even 10% of the building has EV. Even if you have a 220 plug in your garage, you forget one night to plug it in when it's low, you go to drive to work in the morning and you're screwed because you can't just charge it in 10-15 mins....

That's not even factoring in the issue with lithium batteries. Or the range. Or the massive infrastructure and capital required to build enough charging stations so people can travel anywhere in the country. Or how the electricity is produced and in the end, EV is no better then the environment then ICE, in many cases it's worse.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The irony of the EV is the people and places it would be easiest to configure for charging stations are the least likely to use it, while those who are likely to buy them won't have a easy way to make it practical.

If you live in a house and can put a plug in the garage, it's not too bad, never mind the fact that no existing residential subdivisions will be able to handle that amount of increased power draw if EV become really popular. But in places where they are most likely to be, it's packed cities where multifamily housing is much more prominent. How many plugs do you think a 200 suite apartment will have? I know some going up in the city here are putting in a few plugs, like 5 I think for a complex of around 600 suites. I wouldn't want to be in line for that charger if even 10% of the building has EV. Even if you have a 220 plug in your garage, you forget one night to plug it in when it's low, you go to drive to work in the morning and you're screwed because you can't just charge it in 10-15 mins....

That's not even factoring in the issue with lithium batteries. Or the range. Or the massive infrastructure and capital required to build enough charging stations so people can travel anywhere in the country. Or how the electricity is produced and in the end, EV is no better then the environment then ICE, in many cases it's worse.

Times are changing. As electric cars catch on apartments with chargers will be in high demand, and as such the building owners will be able to charge a premium for those apartments. At some point other buildings will be retro-fitted to have chargers put in to increase desirability to tenants.

The electrical grid is already in need of upgrades in many of areas of the continent anyway, it just makes sense at that point to increase capacity to supply electric transportation as well. Even Alberta is changing in this regard, Alberta now has 5 solar farms, and in the last 6 months 2 grid scale batteries have come online with at least 2 more planned for construction in the next year. The batteries and at least 3 of the solar farms were built without taxpayers dollars.

Norway is proving it's possible, in 2020 54% of new vehicles sold there were electric.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the self driving cars many people will just go car share and call up an EV to pick them up and drop them off. No need for charging station, parking and way less cars on the road. Can't see Uber having much of a future in 10 years.

Top Bottom