My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was unaware you could charge the Telsa at home in under 1 minute? Impressive!

Yeah you pull in at the end of the day and plug it in (30seconds) and then in the morning you unplug it (another 30 seconds) and you’re full.

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds...the rest of it I could do without. A Tesla pulled out In front of me on to highway three in Fernie today...I was waiting for him to pull the pin and 'Pin It'...he never did. Fri-gen pussy...if I had a Tesla I would be spending a $hit pile on tires. Pin it to win it...quit being a PUSSY.

Friggen pussies. I always pin it on public roads :cool:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was unaware you could charge the Telsa at home in under 1 minute? Impressive!

Takes about a min to plug in???? Full charge in less than a minute seems far fetched.
It would be like putting 5l of gas in your car or truck everytime you stop.
If they charge that fast than why have them plugged in all night???

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, I do believe tesla will start to be left behind when the Big Manufacturers get into the EV game more seriously.

I thought the same as well. Until I dug deeper into the research of what Tesla is doing, and what its competitors are doing (or more importantly not doing).

IMO the biggest threat to Tesla is Chinese competitors ignoring their patented technology and duplicating Tesla's technology. Combine that with super cheap labour and Chinese expertise/advantage in mass manufacturing. But, Teslas gigafactory in Shanghai and their good standing relationship with the Chinese government may have been a strategic way for Tesla to prevent this, while also reducing their own costs.

Hydrogen sounds great, companies have been spending billions on it for decades now with little progress. It doesn't seem to be scalable and cost effective. For niche corners of the market sure, but its going to be very expensive.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as gas is cheap in the states all these unworkable battery/hydrogen schemes will continue to be a niche item. They're an exercise in feel-good guilt relief on the part of their owners....they will never be mainstream until they meet the convenience, performance and cost of internal combustion machinery.....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you pull in at the end of the day and plug it in (30seconds) and then in the morning you unplug it (another 30 seconds) and you’re full.

Exactly, that's how much time it takes the person to do it, not how long it takes to actually refuel. Extremely mis-leading.

Bury Me With My Toys

Reaction score
My electric truck needs are simple, carry my sled deck, tow 15,000 lbs, rugged 4x4 system, 800 kms range while towing, in -20 temps, in 25 cms of snow, because they don't have charging stations where I go, incredibly good heating and window defrosting, heated seats for 6, and ultra reliable.
So if i live till the year 3669 maybe that will be offered for sale.

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol thats a bit of a non story. Other than the fact that nissan and the dealership were giving him the run around.

He bought a cheap used vehicle, with a known bad battery and battery management system. Big surprise, the battery has gone to crap.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol thats a bit of a non story. Other than the fact that nissan and the dealership were giving him the run around.

He bought a cheap used vehicle, with a known bad battery and battery management system. Big surprise, the battery has gone to crap.
A lot are going to buy a cheap used vehicle. That is the point. If you can't, than the masses will remain with good ole' gasoline. Not sure the electric vehicle promoters understand that a lot of people ain't paying $55k+ for a new vehicle.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep is a used vehicle from a major manufacturer.
It was the price of the battery and the availability that caught my attention, the dealership tells him to buy new???
How many other stories will pop up like this one in time, are these EV going to be throw aways?

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep is a used vehicle from a major manufacturer.
It was the price of the battery and the availability that caught my attention, the dealership tells him to buy new???
How many other stories will pop up like this one in time, are these EV going to be throw aways?

no different with 6.0 fords back in the day imo. up grade to a 2008 6.4 and blow a intercooler haha. As always the rich get richer and the poor get poorer

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't get the issue with that Nissan Leaf. The reality is it costs more to replace the battery than the car is worth at that age, so why would the manufacturer sell a part no logical person would buy? To me that cars issue is the definition of a write off.

I don't think it's really any different than a gasoline powered car, if someone had say a 2013 honda civic and threw a rod through the side of the block would you really fix it? I think most people would just junk the car as the cost to repair is likely more than the car is worth.

On that note I did a quick google search and it looks like there are a few places selling aftermarket replacement batteries for the Leaf, if the owner of the car really wanted to he'd do that.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He only put 40k on it and Im curious the total km on the car. Looking at the year, it’s possible that it could have 100k on the odo but thats a guess.
If a engine needed to be replaced on a car with 100k amd nothing else is wrong with it, a used engine could be purchased and installed for alot less money than that battery, but who in there right mind would pay 15g for a engine for a civic????

Is it safe to say, dont buy a used EV?? Or knock 20g of the asking price for a new battery??

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He only put 40k on it and Im curious the total km on the car. Looking at the year, it’s possible that it could have 100k on the odo but thats a guess.
If a engine needed to be replaced on a car with 100k amd nothing else is wrong with it, a used engine could be purchased and installed for alot less money than that battery, but who in there right mind would pay 15g for a engine for a civic????

Is it safe to say, dont buy a used EV?? Or knock 20g of the asking price for a new battery??

He bought cheap and got what he paid for. I understand the frustration but it happens with early of adopters of lots of things. Look at all the issues with the early diesel emissions systems, wobbly clutches and blown belts on the skidoo 850, the 850 being advertised with a nice lightweight muffler and then buyers receiving their snowchecks with 20lb suitcase mufflers. This issue isn't specific to the the Leaf or even EV's.

It very well might not be $15k to swap a civic motor, but I doubt it would be less than $10k including labour. I don't see a '13 civic being worth more than that now either.

It's always buyer beware when buying a used vehicle, I'd say with EV's it's even more so. And by the sounds of it he walked into the purchase full out knowing he'd need a new battery soon.

Top Bottom