Muteki trail hog- anyone running these?

frez13

Reaction score
Shopping for new tires. Have duratracs on now and were great all round tire. But are pricey. Stopped in at Kal tire and they quoted me on a set of muteki trail hogs. Look almost identical to the duratracs and also have the snowflake. Asked what they wear like but they don't have a lot of history on them. Only been selling for about a year but they say they haven't had anyone come back to complain. Just wondering if anyone here is running them and what they think of them.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has them on his company truck and says they work well.
I'm going to try a set out when my Duratracs get miled out.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a Doge halfer on site yesterday that was running them. They're pretty aggressive, but they look like they'll be pretty good for winter....lots of siping and studdable. I think I'm going to try a set on my dually.

Last edited:

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at them but there wasn't much of a price difference. I just went with the Duratracs as there was a ton of a positive reviews about them. Not much about the Mutekis. They look like a nice tire though.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at them but there wasn't much of a price difference. I just went with the Duratracs as there was a ton of a positive reviews about them. Not much about the Mutekis. They look like a nice tire though.
When I looked online it was about a $400 difference between the two for a set in my size.
EDIT: Just looked again and the Duratrac's have come way down. Actually cheaper now on sale at crappy tire. But out of stock of course.

Last edited:

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It wasn't much in my case. Fountain Tire was more willing to deal than Kal tire, so maybe that had more to do with it.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stick with the Duratracs
y4y2eqap.jpg

K1500

Reaction score
I have the Kanati Trail Hogs (same tire) in 265/60r20 on a 2500hd diesel crew with camper shell. They are a 3 ply sidewall as opposed to a two ply on the Duratrac, otherwise they are a pretty blatant copy of the Duratrac, which is not made in my size.

I can't comment on mileage yet but they had some tread squirm for the first 500 and they are horribly loud. The noise ramps up considerably when hauling or towing and gets way worse at speed. I put them on in June and plan on taking them off before the next summer towing season. Me and the kids actually put foam ear plugs in for the last towing trip we took. Truly awful whine.

All this was after hearing all the factory speil on how quiet they are supposed to be. I have not run them in the snow yet, but they seem to dig well in grass and sloppy stuff, and they do look tough on the truck. They would probably be great on a non DD Jeep or something. I miss my old worn out Goodyear SR/A's. You have been warned.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run them for years and they take all the abuse my raptor can give them with no issues and traction is great

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been running a set of the trail hogs on my work truck since spring and they have held up great. I run on northern alberta back roads. My truck is always loaded to the max and possibly a little over. I ran Duratracs previous and they were just as good. So I guess you can't really go wrong with either one.

Matt Visser

Reaction score
Im running a set of the mud hogs. Overall they perform exceptionally well, havent had any issues getting through any terrain. The only negative with them is they do get chewed up pretty good driving on dry pavement. I think i might try the trail tire next there not quite as aggressive. I atill have a good 60-70% tread left on them and have put on about 50,000km on them. So for an aggressive tire there holding up pretty good for 285/70R20's.i would still recommend unless u plan on never taking it out of the bush to go with the trail hogs. I also dont notice much road noise either with them not sure if thats because there a smaller tire but my next set will be 35's so ill see what they sound like then. Other then all that there a solid tire

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've run the Duratacs on my cummins before this set of trail hogs (325-60R20's) I now have on. Got great wear out of the duratracs 75,000 and could of pushed them. I couldn't get any last November as they were on backorder so decided to try the trail hogs out. Got 30,000 on them now and perform great in all conditions. Being snow rated also helps pulling trailer legally in BC. And $400 cheaper then the duractracs. I will be buying another set when they wear out. They are equally as competitive with goodyear tire as of now, only thing I haven't pushed them to is the mileage.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the duratracs although I've never tried the trail hogs. I just bought a set last month from Canadian tire for $1160 installed 265-70-17 10 ply. That's the cheapest I've ever seen them. Fountain tire in Lloydminster wouldn't even try to match that price. They told me $1350. The y didn't seem to care that I was gonna get the tires somewhere else. Typical Lloydminster dealer.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trail hogs wear really good. Traction is not quite as good due to the center lugs being different. Still work well though. Right now though Duratracs are cheaper if you buy at Canadian Tire.

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like my Duratracs so when i needed a new set i looked into Muteki trail hogs, when i got the quote they wanted more than i paid for my Goodyears so they were out.

cbsharp

Reaction score
I was considering getting a set of General Grabber at2's. I was quoted $1260 for them. Anyone know if they're better or worse than duratracs? I have a set of trail hogs on now. I don't like them they are worn already and I only have 36000 km on them. They were a lot cheaper than the duratracs. I think you get what you pay for.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use Duratracs, trailhogs and kelly Safari's on our fleet and o problem getting 80,000 km or more. Tried the grabber 2 and found them useless like bf goodrich rugged Trails. Clogged easy in the slightest amount of clay or mud. Wear great if just a typical pavement driver.

Top Bottom