mountain max won't start.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife's got a 2000 Mountain Max 600. I got the clutches put in, went to start to try out. won't start. got good spark, the plugs are new. I've tryed pouring a shot of fuel down the air box, nothing, down the plug holes, nothing. doesn't seem flooded. and yes key is on and kill switch is up. It has a variflow on it. do these things ever create problems like not starting? I took a torch to the jugs and to the carbs. thinking maybe they are frozen. won't even try to start. I had an 04 viper that didn't like starting first go of the year, a little fuel down the air box and away it would go. this thing is pissing me off. any other tricks to start it?

:tazz:

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife's got a 2000 Mountain Max 600. I got the clutches put in, went to start to try out. won't start. got good spark, the plugs are new. I've tryed pouring a shot of fuel down the air box, nothing, down the plug holes, nothing. doesn't seem flooded. and yes key is on and kill switch is up. It has a variflow on it. do these things ever create problems like not starting? I took a torch to the jugs and to the carbs. thinking maybe they are frozen. won't even try to start. I had an 04 viper that didn't like starting first go of the year, a little fuel down the air box and away it would go. this thing is pissing me off. any other tricks to start it?

be prepared for people to bash your yamaha! i love yamaha tho

had a sxr700 (same engine) and it started but it bogged down sometimes , would not move and at the same time the guages went insane and headlight went dim:confused:

it worked its way out tho , this probly does'nt help much by maybe other members can connect the two?????? i dont know i just gave it a shot!

good luck and keep riding yammy

Last edited:

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
how much fuel did you put down there??
rememeber this saying
suck squeeze bang blow
if theres spark good if theres fuel good, if there is no compression or a seal is broken thats bad

start from the beginning
check it all again
and use fresh fuel

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey dude what clutching changes did you make? pull the belt off and keep pullin, if it starts your belt needs adjusting, i know these sleds need a few pulls when they havent run in a while, also.... if you havent adjusted yer carbs and it started fine before dont get on the throttle when tryin to start, itll flood.
Does the machine sound like its tryin to start at all??
text me if ya need

SnoPro_78

Reaction score

So were the plugs wet even a little bit when you first pulled them??

cjay

Reaction score
confirm your compression
then if you just did clutches lift and suspend the back of the sled
you may have your clutches draging
and if it is it won t freewheel therefore loading up the engine before it has a chance to fire
make sure your choke is on and you may want to back of you tors until it fires or is just touching throttle stop
try this and let me know
where u located

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was running fine before you put it away for the summer then I doubt it's compression, but always good to check. If its got spark then the issue is fuel unless you've got the plug wires on the wrong cylinders and it's firing at the wrong time.

Double check vacuum lines to the fuel pump etc. If there is gas in the lines going to the carbs then it might be a carb issue.

Mountainblue

Reaction score
Poor fuel down the cylinders as the fuel does go dead and does not have life. It has happen to me before had the machine running in a warm gargage and them went to the hills and would not start because the fuel is bad. I won't hurt as you said the plugs are dry. Cheers

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

Start over. Pull the carbs and drain. Sounds to me like it's flooded and loaded up in the crank with bad fuel still.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my dad taught me a trick.

with yammy and the reliability

its either dirt , water , air or spark.

you and i both know its nothing serious.

GOOD LUCK

he's got spark, he's got air.....................probably just needs more fuel.

Yer dad missed a fundamental element to making the internal combustion operational.........what other tricks did he teach you? :D

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This message is hidden because tuff'n'uff is on your ignore list.
Waste of time...

On my buddy's MM, the motor wore the key out on the mag...threw the timing all off and finally it wouldn't start. Had spark and fuel and everything....just sparked at the wrong time....no go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom