Mountain Equipment Co-Op

Smokey1

Reaction score
Wish i would have known earlier, just picked up a backpack from them last week. Only $50 but would have spent it elsewhere.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't see anything wrong with supporting wilderness conservation. Yes some of these groups are actively trying to shut down OHV use but I think the problem is that they are just as uneducated about us as we are about them. We see these guys as a bunch of tree hugging hippies and they see us as a bunch of uneducated rednecks who are purposely out to destroy the environment. The problem is a lack of communication. Snowmobiling in particular has a very low ecological impact as it doesn't cause any damage to the ground or the vegetation (so long as you aren't cutting down trees to get yourself unstuck). I think we need to work to change their perspective, make them understand that we too enjoy the outdoors and want to protect it and they will stop trying to shut us down. One thing is certain, there are a lot of idiots out there that arent doing the snowmobile community any favors: rolling into the staging area with a lifted 1 ton on 38 inch tires, belching diesel smoke through a loud straight pipe with all emissions equipment removed, firing up a smoky two stroke while metallica blares out the truck speakers, taking a few warm up runs full throttle across the parking lot with no helmet, slamming two beers and tossing the other 10 in your backpack before tearing away full tilt without testing any of your avi gear...it doesn't exactly say "I'm a responsible wilderness user" does it?

Good to see you have no winter toy hate to meet people like you out their, would like to know the staging area you were at sounds like you are just like any other tree hugger repeating the stereo type....and it's the one ton with the standard issue Grande prairie package.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mountain Equipment Co-op
Type Co-operative
Industry outdoor equipment
Founded Vancouver, BC (1971)
Headquarters Vancouver, BC, Canada
Key people David Labistour, CEO
Website mec.ca

Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) is a Canadian consumers' cooperative, which sells outdoor recreation gear and clothing. MEC is notable for its commitment to environmental protection and other causes.[1] As a co-op, MEC sells only to customers who hold a lifetime membership, which is technically a share and can be purchased by anyone for $5. MEC bills itself as Canada's largest supplier of outdoor equipment. Since its founding in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1971, MEC has expanded across Canada and now operates stores in thirteen cities, with a 14th store scheduled to open in Barrie, Ontario in November 2010. As of 2010, MEC has over 3 million members in Canada and internationally.[2]

As a member of 1% for the Planet, MEC donates 1% of its gross revenue each year to environmental causes. In 2007, this was "an estimated $2 million".[14]

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I also have no beef about people who support what they believe, as long as it is an educated decision.
I go out to the backcountry and see people out there enjoying themselves. Every skier I have come across were friendly so far, as long as I don't invade their space
I did however have a bad experience at MEC. This was a few years back.
I went in looking for some climbing rope, biners and pulleys and AVY gear.
The guy working there was helpful with me, when I told him that I am a snowmobiler, he went back to his desk and ignored me.

I now go to Totem, or Track and Trail outfitters.. They seem to set aside your activity and focus on your love for the backcountry, plus they are small business and that is what I would rather support.
Sure I will support businesses that support me before going to them, but they sometimes don't have what I am looking for, the outdoor outfitters do, however.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I now go to Totem. They seem to set aside your activity and focus on your love for the backcountry, plus they are small business and that is what I would rather support.
Sure I will support businesses that support me before going to them, but they sometimes don't have what I am looking for, the outdoor outfitters do, however.

Friends of mine are one of the co-owners of Totem Outfitters here in Edmonton. Great people and a great place to shop.:d

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to see you have no winter toy hate to meet people like you out their, would like to know the staging area you were at sounds like you are just like any other tree hugger repeating the stereo type....and it's the one ton with the standard issue Grande prairie package.

Thank you for your well thought out reply. I don't suppose you considered that just because I don't have a sled RIGHT NOW doesn't mean that I have NEVER owned one? Or imagined the possibility that I WORK in the backcountry and therefore see this kind of stuff all the time? Look beyond your own narrow view of the world, try and imagine what most snowmobilers look like from the perspective of a so called "tree hugger" and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from here. Oh and I normally try not to give people grief about spelling and grammar on message boards, but if you are going to call somebody down on here, you might want to get your "their", "there" and "they're" straightened out first.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I somehow refuse to believe that if you walk into MEC while buying something mention that you are a snowmobiler or into snowmobiling that they ignore you or refuse to sell to you, bad buisness practice and buisness model.......

but on the other hand if this is true.........I'm going to have some serious fun:d. And I'm going to go test my theory next week as I love to play with retailers that are either pushy or couldnt care.

This will be fun, might even read about it in the paper.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Want to come video it? Might look to obvious if I walk in there with my gopro straped to the side of my head.:d

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing is certain, there are a lot of idiots out there that arent doing the snowmobile community any favors: rolling into the staging area with a lifted 1 ton on 38 inch tires, belching diesel smoke through a loud straight pipe with all emissions equipment removed, firing up a smoky two stroke while metallica blares out the truck speakers, taking a few warm up runs full throttle across the parking lot with no helmet, slamming two beers and tossing the other 10 in your backpack before tearing away full tilt without testing any of your avi gear...it doesn't exactly say "I'm a responsible wilderness user" does it?

:d Come on now don't go saying were all retards, I have a big diesel with 38's with a chip for fuel economy, and the country music in my truck never blares, nor do I drink and ride, unfair generalization hahaha. Actually was into rockcrawling and 4x4ing when I lived in Kamloops and because of peoples stupidity they shut down tons of the areas we used to frequent and follow the outlined rules about the grasslands. the 4x4 community has a group called Tread Lightly, it's a group that raises money by sponsorship to keep ohv areas open by enrolling members who agree to follow rules and laws and help educate and promote responsible and legal usage of ohv sites, maybe someone should start one for sledding before it's too late ad we lose areas, if there is such a group let me know, more than happy to support these efforts. As for the retards you outlined, there will always be the bad seeds who wreck things but by promoting such groups and through the groups influences they can be greatly reduced and changed through time. As for the heavy metal..... it beats rap crap hahaha;)

motomike450r

Reaction score
I somehow refuse to believe that if you walk into MEC while buying something mention that you are a snowmobiler or into snowmobiling that they ignore you or refuse to sell to you, bad buisness practice and buisness model.......

but on the other hand if this is true.........I'm going to have some serious fun:d. And I'm going to go test my theory next week as I love to play with retailers that are either pushy or couldnt care.

This will be fun, might even read about it in the paper.

Oh please do, I am quite curious. :d

helgy

Reaction score
Website
www.bordertownsnowbombers.com
The best thing you can do to ensure that areas stay open is to join your local snowmobile club.

I have a lot of MEC gear that was bought before I knew the truth about the company, its too bad, its money that should have been spent elsewhere.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with joining you local club or donate to the clubs that are a voice to the governing boards like Barry in Mcbride. I still shop at MEC unfortunately because I still do the backcountry self propelled sports that they cater too and their products are good but this was before I knew about this. I'm going to have to change all my backcountry purchases to Totem or T&T or Coast Mountain even though their prices are higher.

:mad:

joysled

Reaction score
That's Right!!! I hear that all the time when I'm out sledding at Kakwa and run into some folks from PG

There are alot of people that just want to make easy money and they know how to get if from gov and groups like sierra club. People like Dave Sheppard that have acreages near the protected areas get paid to make sure that no one can buy or use land around him. Wish I had thought of that first.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom