MNTK turbo pro vs M1000 mod

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to compare our sleds today. Both are 174"x3" , my M1000 is lightened up about 50+ lbs, linderman ported , Slp single . The pro is catman10, is running the new MNTK low boost turbo. Both are around the 200 hp range. I had my sled last year and it was very strong and added the porting this year after catman10 sold his m1000 and decided to cheat this year and build a turbo pro. So we did some drag racing in the field today,the m1000 pulled the pro out the hole by a couple sled lengths till 3/4 of the way then the pro would pass me. About a 1000' drag. My m lacks some top speed running m8 gears so not surprised about losing on the top speed. I am very happy how my sled compares here as I know the turbo will make more power at elevation. Next test will hopefully be next weekend were it really matters in revy. I know catman10 will be getting that pro tweaked as it is a big learning curve switching brands so I know I better enjoy how close they are now before he gets it dialed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,277
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 1,281
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,284
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 1,280
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 1,279

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many lugs you missing? I never realized how portly the M's look next to a Pro.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Missing 6 lugs. Have a new 174" x3 track waiting to go on. Was going to run this one till there's more snow.

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of diet is the kitty on to loose 50 lbs? Fibre ?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
16 lbs Slp pipe,18 lbs carbon fibre hood,12 pounds seat,11 pounds diamond drive lite, 3 lbs ceramic brake, 5 lbs wheels.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I have the races on my helmet cam but I am not so saavy with the computer so I do not know how to edit the video and put it on here. The M pulls HARD outta the hole and my pro does not hook up as hard and we realized that my limiter straps are up one hole too high which will help a little bit. Once we get going the pro pulls really hard and does pass the M with pretty good speed but in Niners defense his sled hits a wall for some reason about halfway through the race and he thinks its gears but I think its in his clutching. We swapped sleds and it is quite obvious so with some work his will be harder to catch. I think up top its gonna be interesting to see how his torgue monster pulls cuz last year our m's were pretty impressive. I do secretly hope to kick some ass but I think the reality is I am gonna have to work for it! So far the MNTK turbo has run flawlessly with 100 miles logged on around home, if it runs this good up top it is gonna be a really fun pull the rope and go sled and I am quite happy with it so far. I also feel that there is much more to gain with different secondary helixes but I need to do some research and play around a bit, I also bought a team tied that I will be testing on the hill at the same time and I will post those results once I have them.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried running the 1000 with the 60 60 gears they came stock with? I just wonder how it would pull with the mods. Without the mods I think it would be lacking a little and the m8 gears would compliment it nicely. The 60 60 gears would probably work good with the mods done but I'm unsure if it would be the answer in the mountains. It will be a interesting comparison in the mountains for sure. I'm thinking the pro should have a decent handle on it with the boost at high altitude. But the torque of the 1000 is also something that could be a bit of a equalizer in certain conditions.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to linderman this morning and he says try the m8 gears one weekend. He runs the 60/60 with 162" but thinks the 174" needs the m8. I think once I put the x3 174" I could go with 60/60 with that track being 12 lbs lighter. Also got a leaner map as I was only getting about 1060 for temps and can lean it out a bit more. We tend to play more on the short and steep hills more than the really long pulls so I could be very close in my set up.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya Brent will be the man on setting that sled up for sure! He does most of my engine work and helps out on the tweaking. Take some video in the mountains it will be interesting to see how they compare! A well set up 1000 works very good! What kind of track speed do you pull with the 174 by 3"?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I was getting 43 mph track speed. I am really hoping to get in that 50 mph range this year.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
16 lbs Slp pipe,18 lbs carbon fibre hood,12 pounds seat,11 pounds diamond drive lite, 3 lbs ceramic brake, 5 lbs wheels.

Don't forget you are missing 6 lugs on the track, that's worth at least a lb or 2..... and its less rotating mass LOL

Seriously, love the look of that M, the low end torque of displacement is something that can't be replaced, no matter what. Interesting to see what you figure out with your clutching, secondary too tight? I'm looking to see what set up you are running if you don't mind me asking. PM me if you prefer.

Are you running a resistor without the headlights? Heard mixed comments on the cats and no headlights burning out the regulator on the older M's, but the 07-11 years had the updated regulator and therefore no resistor required. Any issues with it?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no secrets. Running mds weights set at 87.5 grams. Trying the formula x1 secondary. Just got it last spring and haven't had a chance to try it in the hills. It's suppose to give a lot of bottom end and back shift very quick. Trying to find another secondary so I have something to compare on the hill.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just spent 2 days at revy which were awesome. Had some good snow to do some comparing. On Friday seemed to spend more time on my sled with a few little things, ended up putting a small little slice right under my primary in the belly pan. So snow would get on my belt and at first I thought it was my new secondary behaving funny. So once we had that taped up it ran a lot better. The pro that day never skipped a beat. Run flawless , not one bog, fart or hiccup but was only pulling 8000 rpm rather 8300. A few small climbs we did and some drag racing at the cabin they were close but have to give a small edge to the pro. So Saturday we go up and find a nice hill to compare and visibility is good for 15 min and poor for 15 min and the pro starts dialling his sled in a little more to get rpm. Turns the boost up a bit and gets it 8250. Well that thing is ripping now. Still running super clean. Overall his machine is defiantly stronger, runs like a stocker , boost comes on so smooth. I am going to try a different secondary set up for next trip I feel I still haven't got mine perfect but that pro is going to be tough to keep up too.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well when it doesn't snow a guy starts doing the little things. Have my new 174 installed. One thing I've always hated about my M was the tight foot wells. So did a little mod there too. Now I can clean them out super easy but the big advantage is now I can stand 4" further forward when carving and side hilling. I will have to get this old M dancing to keep up to the pro. Catman10 is getting bigger injectors Friday for his MNTK bumping the boost. I have a feeling I'll be seeing a lot of his snowflap! It might be time to move up or I will start sounding like the freak, but at least I post pics of my relic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 535
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 533
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 530

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to call the M a relic or compare it to the wedge when they're still seen in produced videos but I know where you're coming from, looks pretty sweet

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Don't let him fool you guys, that m is a rocket and on our last trip they were on they were very close but we never had a chance to get on a decent hill to compare either. The pro does have a bit of an edge but his secret secondary clutch was not delivering the track speed that his previous setup was and now that he changed it back I will be surprised if we don't swap hi marks on the hill depending on what mine does with a few more pounds of boost. I am hoping to get up to 52 mph track speed and I think niner will be knocking on the 50 mph door so it will be interesting. His machine is also running pretty fat with the boondocker numbers and if we swapped sleds for a half an hour I could get it rippin even harder but I am afraid to give him my sled because he won't give it back! I loved my m 1000 in a big way and had a very hard time selling it but this new pro absolutely kicks it ass for flick ability and everything else honestly,I can do things I never could with the m and I would take anyone on in the trees and giggle like a schoolgirl cuz the combination of power with excellent throttle response make me feel like I am Chris Burrant somedays, ha ha.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest improvements the xm was over the xp was opening up the foot wells. The tmotion of course helps but having your feet forward makes a huge difference.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest improvements the xm was over the xp was opening up the foot wells. The tmotion of course helps but having your feet forward makes a huge difference.

My friend is putting the tmotion in his 2008 m-1300 174". From Doo its under $400 and he's a millwright so making it work is easy. For him of course. Can't wait to try the m chassis with tmotion

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend is putting the tmotion in his 2008 m-1300 174". From Doo its under $400 and he's a millwright so making it work is easy. For him of course. Can't wait to try the m chassis with tmotion
Is he going with the coil springs in the t motion or air shock? Thinking he will have to get shocks yet too?

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread. I'm still trying to decide if I should turbo my pro, or just buy another whole sled, either a TM8, or BB M1. Just curious if anything else is done to the pro?

Ongoing updates appreciated :)

Top Bottom