MNTK turbo pro vs M1000 mod

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
DEFINATELY TURBO THE PRO! You will not regret it and there are some ok kits out there and some awesome kits depending on your budget you wont get a better kit than the MNTNTK for the money and if you deal with Chris at Parkland motorsports you will get fantastic support and he is a straight up guy. The other mods which are done to my sled are a must in my opinion, they are: belt drive tensioner, MNTNTK piston upgrade and a food cooker, ha ha. I am picking up the new injectors today and I think this may be a game changer for me, time will tell. Niner and I will post after we go in a couple of weeks when the mountains have snow again.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was last weekend at Keystone. Sleds are very close. Still have to give the edge to the pro. It makes more speed but my skid is better when it gets steep. Sorry for the video quality still trying to figure my camera out.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great video. You have a great running sled! To think non turbo vs turbo and it is that close! I still love my 1000!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait till next year it will read " mod M1000 174 M3" vs xm 174 T3". That will get some panties in a knot around here.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
We have worked long and hard to get the m1000 flying and I am just on the start of the journey with the pro. In certain circumstances they are close like this race you saw but on the short deep bursts the m shines and the torque come through. If we get a long run the polaris gets wound up and is much faster than the m. It goes to show that no setup is perfect for everything and I hate to say it but even though I loved my m I would never go back, this polaris is 10 times the machine and I am now in the process of improving the clutching so that I can keep up to the ol m in all conditions! We have lots of fun chasing each other around the hill that's for sure.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have worked long and hard to get the m1000 flying and I am just on the start of the journey with the pro. In certain circumstances they are close like this race you saw but on the short deep bursts the m shines and the torque come through. If we get a long run the polaris gets wound up and is much faster than the m. It goes to show that no setup is perfect for everything and I hate to say it but even though I loved my m I would never go back, this polaris is 10 times the machine and I am now in the process of improving the clutching so that I can keep up to the ol m in all conditions! We have lots of fun chasing each other around the hill that's for sure.
The old M performs very well in conditions like we just had. 2 weeks earlier when the snow was neck deep the pro was way better getting on top of the snow. The pro is defiantly a nicer sled alround. The power is decent for a $5000 pump gas. There might be more powerful turbos out there but I doubt they run as smooth as his. That thing just never farts or sputters. I think there is another 5-10 mph hiding in the pro and it will smoke my M.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on you guys for keeping it real. Wished more threads on S&M where like this. Its good information and not bashing . That pro sure runs a lot better than the last owner had it tuned. :)
Keep up the good work boys.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Paul, looks like its working great. Buddy we ride with put one on this year, I'm gonna give him your # if that's ok ? He's having a bit of a struggle, runs ok but a few little issues, maybe you can help him a bit. We've had great snow the last while, but getting heavy now with the warm weather. Lots of fun.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha., careful of pfi572 Paul, he's got a bad case of boosted Poo envy. LOL.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Thanks guys, we do like to keep it real because it is a waste of time to bash etc, sometimes we get surprised at how close our sleds are in different conditions and it keeps us wanting to improve our machines and push each other constantly. For example on our last day riding a couple weeks ago we were at turtle and there was less than a foot of fresh and kibbles sled was rockin and going everywhere my big track went with similar speed and on days where it's shy on fluff the 174 doesn't shine like in the deep, so kinda fun to see the gap close. Lenny you can give anyone my number and I will try to help with the kit as mine has been running excellent, just need some clutching now to get a little more track speed and I will be tickled.

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait till next year it will read " mod M1000 174 M3" vs xm 174 T3". That will get some panties in a knot around here.

no kidding lol, i'd like to put my turbo 163x2.5 up against that m1000 just to see where it stands

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great informative thread here. I don't have any real need to know about these sleds besides curiosity. Cool to see some good comparison between large bore and turbo.

And lennyR if your buddy is having trouble with his turbo kit that he put on this year, is the shop he purchased the kit from not helping him tune and dial it? I know I'd be upset if sold a kit and told "good luck" for figuring it out.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great informative thread here. I don't have any real need to know about these sleds besides curiosity. Cool to see some good comparison between large bore and turbo.

And lennyR if your buddy is having trouble with his turbo kit that he put on this year, is the shop he purchased the kit from not helping him tune and dial it? I know I'd be upset if sold a kit and told "good luck" for figuring it out.

He wanted to do he install himself, he's a pretty handy guy, but I think without having any actual turbo experience, it might have been a bit more than he should have bit off. Another buddy had the shop here do his install and we've been out with him a bit also and his works well, I just think that buddy 1 has a little higher expectations and maybe rides a little more aggressively. Me, I'd have taken it out to Chris at Parkland and let him do it, my lack of wrenching skills are legendary. It's working ok just seems to need a little massaging since he had the bigger injectors put in. And kinda also like Paul said, you have to get t hat clutch/hp thing synced, can be huge difference. Me, i don't really believe when it comes to turbos there is a bolt it on system while reading the turbo install for dummies book, then head straight out to the mountains and have it rip all year, you still need some experience and point of reference to maximize the benefits. Maybe in my future, not sure yet.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every one here has been providing good information. One day down the road I'd like to own a turbo sled and I've heard lots of "bolt on and go" kits aren't quite what they're made out to be. Many turbo owners say there is no such thing and over the years I'd hope to gain the knowledge to be able to tune and work on a turbo when I decide I'm ready to get into that game.

Top Bottom