Michelin putting airless tire in to production

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they'll have to figure out how to close in the sides or else they'll be super unbalanced if you go through any mud or snow. I could see it happening in a few years though.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One drawback for skidsteers or other equipment is that it doesn't add any weight for stability. Super cool idea though.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they'll have to figure out how to close in the sides or else they'll be super unbalanced if you go through any mud or snow. I could see it happening in a few years though.

I don't think that they could close them in, as they need to flex, as they torque up they flex and going over bumps they flex as well. I agree though, they would be a s***ty ride with mud or snow/ ice buildup in them, you'd be out there with a wire brush cleaning the slots out

Sent from my iPad

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imagine the size of rock you could fling out of that web after going through some loose stuff.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys are right but there are things they would be good on golf carts ride on mowers and so on. I think they are cool a reinvention of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to run Cat skid steers with airless tires back in the late 90's. So where's the new technology? Looks like the same sh*t, just for highway use.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another big concern for highway use would be heat build up, dont see it happening for trucks any time soon.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing, you can get airless loader tires for use in land fills and such, been available for many years.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Low speed only tires. Michelin tried them at roads speeds and had heat and control issues. The straight rubber "spokes" flex up and down but don't flex much side to side. Cornering and quick maneuvers highlight the limitations of this design. There has to be some give in the sidewall of a tire to keep the tread flat on the ground during maneuvering. Plus they'd be fugly on a nice car!!

Top Bottom