Mean moose

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy doodle. Yesterday I took the kids out on the trail. I was riding the Powder special, and the kids were in the skimmer. We were on a trail that was pretty narrow, and up ahead I saw a big bull moose, so I slowed down and stopped. This thing was huge, we refer to it now as the Moose-a-saur.
It turned around and looked at us, then snorted. All of a sudden he put his head down and started to come at us like a bull. I wasn't in a place to turn around, don't have reverse, and have the extra length and weight of the kids in the skimmer. I reved my engine, stood up on my sled and looked real big. He turned around and headed back up the trail. I was able to find a spot to turn around and high tail it out of there. After all that, my 13 year old, oblivious to the danger said, "aww what a cute moose". I think he knew how big he really was.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aww...umm....so have you got a piece of his hind quarter slowly cooking away in the roaster with potatoes, carrots, onion all drenched in zesty Italian dressing..

MMM....a good moose roast slowly roasting away in the oven would smell pretty good right about now and mmm potatoes covered in gravy, peas on the side and home made garlic bread...:d

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aww...umm....so have you got a piece of his hind quarter slowly cooking away in the roaster with potatoes, carrots, onion all drenched in zesty Italian dressing..

MMM....a good moose roast slowly roasting away in the oven would smell pretty good right about now and mmm potatoes covered in gravy, peas on the side and home made garlic bread...:d

Hee heee. Too scared to see him as Jerkey! I do still have moose in the freezer come to think of it. Maybe he was avenging his father or something?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah!!........ muff moose is wicked.....:drool::d

Love moose and Elk, not so keen on Deer. Favorite moose is moose jerky fishing. Had bad deer when I was young, and the smell of it still makes me feel ooky. :(

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Your awesome mom, didn't even panic.
On another note i love wild meat as much as i love my mommy. A hell of alot healthier than corralled meat.
Have u tried Rabbit roasted on a fire w minimal seasoning? mmmmmmm....
would like to try out of country wild meat.:beer::d:beer:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your awesome mom, didn't even panic.
On another note i love wild meat as much as i love my mommy. A hell of alot healthier than corralled meat.
Have u tried Rabbit roasted on a fire w minimal seasoning? mmmmmmm....
would like to try out of country wild meat.:beer::d:beer:

Thanks munhoez. Back in the day when I was young and foolish, rockaberry cooler (don't even know if they make it any more) was always abundant. Best rabbit ever was marinated in that stuff then roasted on the fire when we were camping. We have a rabbit who is really really mean, cranky, attacks kids who come to our house. Some days I get to thinking.......:eek::d.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a nice warm pair of sledding mits he would make?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a nice warm pair of sledding mits he would make?

You have no idea! I bug the kids in the summer and run my bare feet over her. They ask me what I'm doing, and I tell them testing my new slippers out. (they know I'm kidding)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good story. Have a few like that myself.

Funniest was a female Mountain Sheep with a wee little one. She would not let us down the trail and started coming at us head down. Never seen two 6'5" guys run into the bush so fast!

Best wild meat I have ever had was when an Alaskan Eskimo man, his wife and two kids were camping beside us with his dog team. We were interested in his dogs since ours looked similar. He did not speak English, but his wife and kids did. We hung out with them and he offered us raw Caribou meat dipped in seal oil. I'm always game for something new so why not. Expected it to be strong and maybe fishy with the oil, but I gotta tell you that was by far the best tasting raw wild meat I have ever had. I mean amazing!!! Not to mention the experience of hanging out with this family and listening to their stories of their life living in a Northern Alaskan village.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just some memories came to the old mind after reading this post.

As you were people.....

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy doodle. Yesterday I took the kids out on the trail. I was riding the Powder special, and the kids were in the skimmer. We were on a trail that was pretty narrow, and up ahead I saw a big bull moose, so I slowed down and stopped. This thing was huge, we refer to it now as the Moose-a-saur.
It turned around and looked at us, then snorted. All of a sudden he put his head down and started to come at us like a bull. I wasn't in a place to turn around, don't have reverse, and have the extra length and weight of the kids in the skimmer. I reved my engine, stood up on my sled and looked real big. He turned around and headed back up the trail. I was able to find a spot to turn around and high tail it out of there. After all that, my 13 year old, oblivious to the danger said, "aww what a cute moose". I think he knew how big he really was.

Good thinking! Standing up and making yur self look as big as possible is the most important thing when facing a wild, aggressive animal... any expert will tell you that. You got some serious guts! Good for you. :):):beer:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Funniest was a female Mountain Sheep with a wee little one. She would not let us down the trail and started coming at us head down. Never seen two 6'5" guys run into the bush so fast!

Best wild meat I have ever had was when an Alaskan Eskimo man, his wife and two kids were camping beside us with his dog team. We were interested in his dogs since ours looked similar. He did not speak English, but his wife and kids did. We hung out with them and he offered us raw Caribou meat dipped in seal oil. I'm always game for something new so why not. Expected it to be strong and maybe fishy with the oil, but I gotta tell you that was by far the best tasting raw wild meat I have ever had. I mean amazing!!! Not to mention the experience of hanging out with this family and listening to their stories of their life living in a Northern Alaskan village.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just some memories came to the old mind after reading this post.

As you were people.....

Zrrrrr that's AWESOME!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thinking! Standing up and making yur self look as big as possible is the most important thing when facing a wild, aggressive animal... any expert will tell you that. You got some serious guts! Good for you. :):):beer:

Done the same thing face to face with a brown bear. Thank Christ he didn't smell the chit in my pants.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nopics: :):d:):d:)

As you were people.....

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm little bit amazed at your reaction to stand up and look big Mom. That was really the best thing to do. Good for you. You must have a lot of outdoor savey. I'm sure not a lot of people would think to do such a thing in a situation like that. I can only imagine the terror going through the mind in a sticky situation like that with the kids in tow.

mudlover

Reaction score
Website
www.quads.ca
Here's a pic of a local here in Fort St. John. It shows that not all moose are mean. Although, I would never try this

Attachments

• !cid_328EE4AED2AA4A9590E23565A7A417FB@JoePC.jpg
    !cid_328EE4AED2AA4A9590E23565A7A417FB@JoePC.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom