March conditions

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Written By John Kelly of the CAC

One of the fundamental principles of travel in avalanche terrain is to limit the numbers exposed to the consequences of an avalanche. Riding in avalanche terrain should be a solitary activity, thus you group up in a safe spots and then hit the slopes alone. Somehow this principle is not being followed in the sled accidents we are seeing. Over the next few weeks the CAC will be aggressively pursue messaging that targets this public safety issue. We are asking you to help.

With the current conditions as they are we can expect to see decreasing frequency of avalanches but with increasing size. This means it becomes more and more tempting to hit the slope that you have resisted because you may go quite a long time without seeing any avalanche activity. Unfortunately when a slide does occur (I did not say "if") the strong likelihood is that it will be bigger than expected. It can also occur on slopes that are less steep than usual. It is therefore critical that people respect the one-at-a-time rule for slope use - even in moderately steep terrain!

I would be expecting avalanche activity in the coming week to be on slopes about 30 to 35 degrees with a wide-open smooth character. This is not very steep.

I am interested in your thoughts on how we encourage reduced numbers of exposed people at the same time in avalanche country. If you are seeing bad habits in terms of grouping together where you are, you should consider taking action to counter the trend. Please forward this message to your members.

Best Regards,

John Kelly
Operations Manager,
Canadian Avalanche Centre
Revelstoke, BC
250 837 2141

sunshine

Reaction score
Just got back from riding for 4 days. Rode Renshaw 3 out of the 4, and was awesome snow, had at least 2 feet of fresh snow in the black water and ant hills and in the valley. Will try to post some pics tomorrow. It was a long drive home after riding till 4, then leaving Barry and Judy's at 6 last night, got home at 3, at work at 8= me being tired, so will try to get some on tomorrow. Was a great trip, and thanks again to Barry and Judy, wonderful as always.

gravedigger

Reaction score
Just got back from riding for 4 days. Rode Renshaw 3 out of the 4, and was awesome snow, had at least 2 feet of fresh snow in the black water and ant hills and in the valley. Will try to post some pics tomorrow. It was a long drive home after riding till 4, then leaving Barry and Judy's at 6 last night, got home at 3, at work at 8= me being tired, so will try to get some on tomorrow. Was a great trip, and thanks again to Barry and Judy, wonderful as always.

ohh i was awsome exepepte for the out first full dayo the rencha in that first meadow are with the hill i popped my knee ou then the last day \had to spend 5 hours in the truck

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
+3 in town this morning with no wind and a wee spit of rain/snow mix. Started snowing lightly up top last night and hasn't stopped yet. Should be nice for the weekend.

REMINDER: Avalanche risk is high. There are still lots of safe places to play. Use your common sense and your avalanche training, carry avalanche gear and play safe.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if your only grooming for the friday sat crowd why do we pay the same during weekdays for a crap trail

Get over yourself. Ever volunteer with one of these associations or see the kind of manpower/money it takes to make the riding areas accessible? If you don't wanna pay for the privilege then stay in your field at home, the rest of us appreciate what we have and don't mind paying :realmad:

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
so if your only grooming for the friday sat crowd why do we pay the same during weekdays for a crap trail

Actually, HotRod did groom mid week. Not much he can do in the warm weather, but he tries his best. Spent most of the night up Renshaw on Wednesday (or was it Tuesday) waiting for it to get colder in order to groom on the way down. The trail just does not want to hold up well in spring conditions.

He also usually grooms Renshaw on Sunday evenings for the weekday crowd the rest of the year.

Last edited:

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't like it please stay home I am sure no one will miss you or your $15.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
+3 in town this morning with no wind and a wee spit of rain/snow mix. Started snowing lightly up top last night and hasn't stopped yet. Should be nice for the weekend.

REMINDER: Avalanche risk is high. There are still lots of safe places to play. Use your common sense and your avalanche training, carry avalanche gear and play safe.

According to CAC avy is considerable, not high.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a oneway trail at this time of year!! Charging thru the week....i can't say, i'll ask him Sunday when i talk to him and see if they're charging at this time of year when it's not groomed. I talked to him today and he wasn't quite sure if grooming would go much longer. The temps are so warm the trail just isn't holding up. Even after it's groomed. Higgins.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a oneway trail at this time of year!! Charging thru the week....i can't say, i'll ask him Sunday when i talk to him and see if they're charging at this time of year when it's not groomed. I talked to him today and he wasn't quite sure if grooming would go much longer. The temps are so warm the trail just isn't holding up. Even after it's groomed. Higgins.

Let's hope the grooming continues through the easter long weekend.....please.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get over yourself. Ever volunteer with one of these associations or see the kind of manpower/money it takes to make the riding areas accessible? If you don't wanna pay for the privilege then stay in your field at home, the rest of us appreciate what we have and don't mind paying :realmad:

Now before you cut me a new one Sledmamma,I'm not trying to pick a fight,just some useful information..But all the money collected at the trail head goes to the groomer and not to the local sled club.So if you want to support the volunteers,buy a club membership.If the money collected went to the club ,to pay for the maintanence of the cabin and all the other good things these people give up their time to provide us,then there is no simpathy for me..But groomer is contracted.So if someone doesn't get good service for something they pay for ,don't you think they have the right to complain?

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
Exactly, It makes me wonder sometimes who reads the reports...:rolleyes:

Here is an in depth report.

North Columbia : CAC Forecasts : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

McBride is classed by the CAC as being in the North Rockies, not North Columbia reporting area. Current avalanche risk is moderate (lowered from high in the alpine last week). We are kind of on the borderline of the two regions. If you are riding Renshaw, your best bet is to check the conditions for North Rockies. You can probably use the North Columbia Conditions for Lucille and Belle since they are in the Cariboo mountain range.

Last edited:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode the renshaw today. Snow was decent. About a foot of very heavy snow. Snowpack has tightened up a lot. We climbed quite a bit and nothing was moving. There have been a few slides since last saturday, but nothing major.

Top Bottom