Maps / directions to each area

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Carbon and all the experienced Golden Riders should make a section, even if its locked and only they can modify it with the directions to each area. When we were there for new years we had a hell of a time trying to find directions to areas. (Road directions to drop off's then anything else for that matter) carbon helped me out BIG time and gave me directions to all the area's we wanted. (Thx again :D)

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is many reasons why only some areas are mapped and available to the public.

as a local i don't want every area on a map. it makes life too easy to get to the goods for people. not every area can handle the extra volume of traffic maps bring in.

ease of access also allows the morons to arrive and then things turn into a sh*t show.

legally i don't think you can put out a map without approval

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about researching existing maps/closures and explore to find areas? Like Panodude says, some areas aren't mapped for a reason and there are designated areas for riding for many more reasons. There's far too much riding in areas that don't permit it already, all we need are more peeps risking our riding areas by being in areas they shouldn't or being in areas above their experience.

All this information is out there, do a little legwork and find it for yourself. The areas designated for snowmobiles are already well mapped and easy to find if you look and take a little time to research before you go. You use the internet for this forum, why not try it for other things ;) Check the Golden Snowmobile site, or the BC Forestry site...etc.

Staging, trails, closures..it's all out there, but peeps don't take the time to look and learn, there's always peeps in closures for no reason other than ignorance! Either too ignorant to learn where they are...or too ignorant to respect the closure!

I'm sure Carbon will gladly show you...that's how he and many others makes a living in the winter, maybe you should hire him as a guide instead. Giving up this info to everyone will just cut into guiding opportunities for locals, and that's how you should be taken into the extreme mountain areas that aren't designated riding areas IMO...and there is tenure on quite a few areas to consider. These experienced riders put alot into getting that experience, not just riding a sled, but travelling in the backcountry, knowing your surroundings and how to assess the terrain for safe travel. They also know how many peeps riding out here don't have that knowledge and experience, so why would they want to risk sending riders to these areas -it puts others at risk as well.

Experienced riders should know not to send just any rider into any area, and most would prefer you rode the designated riding areas to ensure our backcountry access doesn't get more restricted. Peeps in areas they don't know leads to trouble, especially in this terrain. If you're experienced enough to ride the mountains, then you should be experienced enough to find the staging areas and riding areas or know enough to hire a guide to take you.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think she means just the normal place's as the map books handed out are not vary easy to read...even Quartz,Gorman,silent..... on the maps.I don't think Im giving secreat area's out..bleaberry,good directions to silent haha ok.I mean we all have friends from all other prov.out and we ride other area's and so on ....Braa'aap

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carbon and many others are a great resource for the Golden area. I wish I had more chances to ride some of the other areas this season but there is still more to come!

I agree with the other comments as well but figured I would attach this simple map! Really if people can't find some of the areas from this simple map then maybe they should think if they are prepared to be there in the first place!

:beer:

Attachments

• GoldenTrailmap.pdf
    44 KB · Views: 161

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is good, but more detail on distances etc.( gps info is really the way to go) could be added. It would help people with no sense of direction.

The Radium Chamber has a good one of the fishing lakes in the area.

It's alot of work to officially put out a map, I am doing this exact thing for mountain bike trails in the valley.

I would suggest anyone who wants to do something like this contact the local club. These are the things I am sure are on the to do list, but there is only so many people to do the work.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah im sorry i didnt mean all the secret area's or anything. Just the actual directions to some of the area's on the maps are extremely hard to understand. I'm okay with exploring the area's once we get there but we had some hard time even finding blaeberry! I had to call GSR half way up the road and said im at some empty field (which i think is a camp ground type area) with a bridge where the hell am i?~ lol

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try looking into a GPS system and you can plot your own stuff and map out the area's you have been to.
Also, GSR(Aaron), Rocky Mtn riders(Luke) and Snow peaks(Carbon, Chris ?) all have guides who can take you to the killer stuff if you ask to have your day trip to be tailored that way.
It might cost you a few hundred bucks to hire a "local guide" for the day but if you think about it, it will be worth it in the long run.
We were lucky enough to have a guide(local) show us some stuff that blew my mind this weekend, pm me and I can give you his contact info...
just my 2 cents.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
File Type: pdf GoldenTrailmap.pdf
these are the maps I don't agree with.some one coming out,never been here but has mtn experience won't get to some of the area's using these and all the new logging spurs can get confusing......but Im alway's for hire:d

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hiring a guide is worth every dollar, it's pretty cheap if you have 4 guys sharing the cost.

not only will you ride great terrain you will probably learn some history and be safer than on your own.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hiring a guide is worth every dollar, it's pretty cheap if you have 4 guys sharing the cost.

not only will you ride great terrain you will probably learn some history and be safer than on your own.
and the guide, if he's a ripper, can coach you how to be a better rider, something that is missing in this sport. So many guys(especially older ones) blame it on the sled when really their technique just is horrible.......

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so im a girl by the way..lol

and its just two couples, but thanks everyone didn't mean to piss anyone off :)

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with asking questions, the more we can help you the better as far as I concerned.
Have fun and be safe out there.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okie :) thanks guys, were heading back to golden april 1st weekend! going to be buying land out there, so we can spend more time in the mountains. Then the bf can't leave me home as much :p lol

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Google Earth for pre-planning trips into both unknown and known areas. You can get right down on the road/trails and look for unique characteristics etc to look for when you're actually out. You can determine kms, turnoffs/junctions etc. When I get to some spots it's like I've already been there. Use your maps and then find the corresponding road on google earth and follow it to see where it goes and to get familiar with areas ahead of time. :)

trials rider

Reaction score
im sure the maps could be better but the ones i have seen were pretty easy to follow. and some times people just need to figure things out for themselves its all part of the adventure. i have spent lots of days exploring new areas with vaugue directions or none at all just want to see if we can get there. just have to get out there and explore sometimes even if there is no signs or map.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Google Earth for pre-planning trips into both unknown and known areas. You can get right down on the road/trails and look for unique characteristics etc to look for when you're actually out. You can determine kms, turnoffs/junctions etc. When I get to some spots it's like I've already been there. Use your maps and then find the corresponding road on google earth and follow it to see where it goes and to get familiar with areas ahead of time. :)

I do the exact same thing. Works great as long as visibility is good. That being said I don't push it when visibility is bad.

Top Bottom