m7 slp twin pipes heat trouble??

Reimer

Reaction score
iv just installed a set of ceramic coated slp twins on my 06 m7.everything fits well except the top of the pipes are about an 1/8 to 1/4 away from the under hood air box. thinking that there is a good chance that just heat tape isnt going to be enough to stop the plastic from melting. thinking of trying to make a shield out of tin. any words of wisdom??

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my m8 I used header wrap and put a cold air in gutted the stock box and lots of vents, havent got to try it yet but looks good i think.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gut the hood...nithing but a shell.new air intake is a must...heat tape the hood..

Reimer

Reaction score
I didn't want spend the money on an intake just yet was thinking I could get away with just a bigger air horn and the rest stock... One of the techs from slp told me that all I need is 3/8" betwen the air box and te pipe and I will have no problems as long as I heat tape. He Aldo said to heat up the plastic till it is
moldable to get the clearance needed.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't want spend the money on an intake just yet was thinking I could get away with just a bigger air horn and the rest stock... One of the techs from slp told me that all I need is 3/8" betwen the air box and te pipe and I will have no problems as long as I heat tape. He Aldo said to heat up the plastic till it is
moldable to get the clearance needed.

Sound advice. If you put in a vent kit up there in your hood you will also dissapate the heat before it melts stuff. Make your own vent and save a couple a bucks for a custom look.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
moldable to get the clearance needed

You can gain a fair bit by reshaping the intake. I did mine, but ended up going to an aftermarket intake instead. Make sure you are wearing oven mitts or something similar when you start pushing on the hot plastic though.

Reimer

Reaction score
I'm going to get a heat gun today and see if I can make enough room. If it melts From the pipe then I guess I'll gut the hood and buy an intake . Thanks for your posts

Top Bottom