M1000 Horrible Fuel Economy

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
HEy guys

Just wondering if there is anything a guy can do on the M1000 to get a bit better fuel Economy. I releize I'm Riding 1000cc but last yr it seemed to be burning threw the fuel worse then ever. Any tips would be great

Thanks

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEy guys

Just wondering if there is anything a guy can do on the M1000 to get a bit better fuel Economy. I releize I'm Riding 1000cc but last yr it seemed to be burning threw the fuel worse then ever. Any tips would be great

Thanks

just how bad are we talking. I have an 07 with SLP pipe and y pipe MBRP can Boyesen Rad valve 3° timing advance SLP Billett air horn and a Power Commander 5 with auto tune and I have no complaints about my fuel economy. I don't think I burn any more than my buddies with 800's

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
I run full Speed Werx pipe with Pure logic Fuel Control Full cutler Clutches and i bet i cant even make it 40 Miles and I'm empty last yr in the hills I ran out of fuel by 1Pm playing in 2ft of fresh POW Might have had alot to do with it as well. I wonder if like my Power valves could be gummed up or something is there anything that could be causing extra fuel consumption my air fuel guage is always looking good....

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run full Speed Werx pipe with Pure logic Fuel Control Full cutler Clutches and i bet i cant even make it 40 Miles and I'm empty last yr in the hills I ran out of fuel by 1Pm playing in 2ft of fresh POW Might have had alot to do with it as well. I wonder if like my Power valves could be gummed up or something is there anything that could be causing extra fuel consumption my air fuel guage is always looking good....

WOW that is bad. I would check and see if your buddies are carrying a syphon. LOL. either that or you have a hole in your tank which I doubt

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
Would the Type of oil have anything to do with it i was running Cat APV oil then switched to Interceptor Amsoil...

jerry

Reaction score
check and see if you have a burnt piston 2 of our guys with 1000s were burning fuel like you after changed pistons burn fuel like 800s

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
I think if my Piston was Toast i would have more problems then Fuel. My Pyro my air fuel gauge and my RPM is just fine....

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats normal for an m1 with those mods 65-80km to empty. Power doesnt come without fuel! so always pack EXTRA haha.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats normal for an m1 with those mods 65-80km to empty. Power doesnt come without fuel! so always pack EXTRA haha.
X2 on that i had a full pipe m1000 with other mods always had to bring a 5 gallon can with me to make it through the day :beer:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X2 on that i had a full pipe m1000 with other mods always had to bring a 5 gallon can with me to make it through the day :beer:

Sorry Gentlemen I tend to disagree. Renshaw is 30km in 30 km out. that's 60 km. I pack 2 gallons with me at all times. Last winter we ran into the Renshaw and because visibility was poor we didn't get too far back. we played around the cabin all day and I didn't need to use my reserve,and still had just under a 1/4 tank left when we got back to the truck. I believe I can squeeze 110 km out of a tank. I may be wrong. my memory is failing me and I haven't been out this year yet.

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Gentlemen I tend to disagree. Renshaw is 30km in 30 km out. that's 60 km. I pack 2 gallons with me at all times. Last winter we ran into the Renshaw and because visibility was poor we didn't get too far back. we played around the cabin all day and I didn't need to use my reserve,and still had just under a 1/4 tank left when we got back to the truck. I believe I can squeeze 110 km out of a tank. I may be wrong. my memory is failing me and I haven't been out this year yet.

To do that youd have to be under half throttle all day long i rode my pro rmk right to empty in renshaw last week and got 67.5 miles riding pretty hard and i dont think that a 1000 would be close to that. 25% more motor then my pro. plus upgrades. think about it.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To do that youd have to be under half throttle all day long i rode my pro rmk right to empty in renshaw last week and got 67.5 miles riding pretty hard and i dont think that a 1000 would be close to that. 25% more motor then my pro. plus upgrades. think about it.

your absolutely right there. On the ride in and out I generally baby it. I enjoy the scenery. As I mentioned earlier visibility was poor so yes the throttle seldom hit WOT for any length of time.

Dragin

Reaction score

I agree I've got 2 M1000s one mostly stock different gearing and clutching and an slp tunnel dump can on the motor that's it. The other has a timbersled intake kit pure logic fuel controller and the same gearing and exhaust. They both have the same tracks and timbersled skids gearing and drivelines are identical.

We were riding Lucille for two days both of us riding the same trails and hitting the same hills. When we got back to the truck each time my sled with the intake mods and the controller burned more fuel by probably 25% I was surprised at first but it happens pretty regularly . 80k on my sled would be a very easy mild day not playing much and pretty boring for me!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth - I ride an 07 M1k. Full SLP pipeset, boyesen rage cages, RKT 13.6:1 cylinder head, intake mods, and STM exhaust valves. Sled is slightly geared down from stock, BDX lite drive & challenger 2.5 x 162. I can ride into silent pass (staging off from km 17 @ 9:30), ride till dusk, and ride down on my 15l reserve gas can. It is pretty good on fuel for a 1000, and runs crisp. I found SLP's numbers and map to far too rich. I estimate the 1000 uses 15% more fuel then my wife's modded M8. Fuel range depends on visibility and who I'm riding with - if I'm riding with aggressive riders on 800's - I usually pack 20L extra fuel.

Kermit

Reaction score
Run '09 800 with full SLP set up plus intake and Boondocker with mod P85 primary and cutler secondary and did 137km (85.6m) on Thursday and still had 3L left when I arrived back at sled camp, was 80km of groomed trail but for other 57km broke trail from 4800 - 7000ft, however was 5' base with 1' fresh while doing so. In 2' fresh playing to the nut I'd be lucky if i made it to 2pm......conditions dictate consumption.

Top Bottom