lower the price

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
13 % i can live with, 30+ NO. not sure about the health care crap, try to get in to the hospital here for any procedure you may wait awhile. i see how you look at it but, we all pay for the health care system, there is access to private health care insurance available, sorry for your buds mistake. you have the option in the us to have health care or not, your choice. seems like the us is fighting our health care system tooth and nail, and they want obama out hmmm?
using foxstars #'s there is an 1800 difference in price,
1800 -195 riv charge - 250 brp compliance letter = 1350 in my pocket, make it a sledding holiday, hmmm .

on a side note. if you cannot prove that you lived in the us and moved to canada. BRP will not let this letter out. and if your unit comes in for warranty at a canadia dealer. well guess what it will not get covered under warranty. brp is also upping the price on that as well from a conversation i have had. to over 500 + for the letter

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess another way to look at it as well.
1. no warranty on the unit
2. hard to get it insured aside from paying. lets average it 500$ to get it so you can insure it in canada. still no warranty
3. first time your dpm goes or hand warmer craps out. cost from your pocket cuz of no warranty.
4. motor goes by some fluke accident. 3100$ for rebuild motor. and like 5000 for the etech motor.

the list goes on guys.. so hey cheaper for your in canada still i think

also you local dealer can put his supporting customers ahead of you if your a busy dealer.

if i walked into a dealer wiht a unit bought from idc where. and i have a 2 week back up. do you think that the guy that just bought a sled from me and 2000$ in acc that year wont take presidence over you.. danm rights he will

just stuff to think about..................................:jerry:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI - BRP donated $720,000 for grooming and club support programs in 2010 - to support our favorite past time.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I spent all last year looking in the US for great deals, and did buy one of my sleds from MT but I have changed my tune since then. After dealing with T&T on parts and stuff and my new sled from Mr R's I will continue to support those Canadian dealers. I am well aware that there is a price difference, but also a service difference, and truly do you think the US dealers really care about your business. When you look at tons of parts, accessories, helmets and such, they are no cheaper in the US, some stuff is for sure, but I want to build a relationship with my dealers and cant do that with a US store. I have received truly top notch service here in Canada and that is where my money will stay.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of guys trying to explain why we should pay more. BRP shops the world to see who can make the componets the cheapest. Parts from Austria, France, Turkey, mexico, Vietnam, China. Isn't it hypocritcal for BRP to say we need to pay more and buy here when they don't?

no one said you should pay more, some people are trying to explain why..... and if they sudenly dropped the price then all our sledds drop as well so no one is ahead except the guy with no sled.

I wonder what life would be like if all of the guys on here with good paying jobs(probably most of you), found out tomorrow that your boss was out looking for someone down south to do your job for less than you. I'm sure with the US economy the way it is that there would be plenty of people more than willing to replace you for less than you make now.
We pay a bit of a price to live in Canada and I for one think that price is worth every penny.
Maybe next time your down shopping in the US you can bring your replacement back with you, because along with sleds and trucks....the labour is cheap there as well..:beer:

:beer::beer: so very true...

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have parents that live in the us and can easily buy one through them and not have a problem with warranty, but for 1800 or maybe less before it is time to pay for it in the fall, I don't want to have sled sitting at dealer for 1/2 the winter before it gets fixed, so I bought locally....ENJOY...

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag:the only thing for certain and for sure friends is death and taxes....

when we signed the free trade agreement who knew it would only benefit

the US.... we can debate points all day ,,,all are valid, some matter more to

some of us more than others... I guess the great thing about being Canadian

is the choice, theres always ways to buy in the US if you want... Theres

also always an argument for every point raised. and Its frustrating as Hell for

sure, for everyone involved, it seems the big players sit back and make the

rules and the rest of us have to try and figure it out... unfortunately we all

are trying to win the "game" but with the ever changing rules its a tough go.

It is nice to be able to share our thoughts and opinions with others on this

site.... I for one enjoy the open minded discussions... Have a great day

everyone...did i mention we always have a sale on...and awesome service!!!! :d:d

enjoy the day eh!:canadaflag::canadaflag:

Terry

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing is that some people are trying to say why you should keep it local and buy in canada. My gripe and I think some others is WHY is the price higher here? And what amount does it become gouging the customer?

I have no problem supporting the local guys. But heres a few examples.

Lets say I can buy a sled in the usa for $10k OTD everything, and I go to a dealer here and they want $15k, I don't care how good the service is that is GOUGING and I wouldn't even consider it. Now if that same sled was only $10500-$11500 I would consider it and look into it more and see how good the dealer was. If they were aholes and knew they'd be a knightmare to deal with and get work done WHY would I support them? If I knew the dealer would treat me right for that price difference I would do it in a heartbeat. No warranty isn't a concern of buying in the usa, you can get around it no problem.

The whole bit about putting off people for work who bought elsewhere, come on. There is a LOT of bad dealers who are knightmares to get work done even if you bought it there!

I will not give my money to companies trying to gouge me. I've paid MORE to get a product out of town shipped to me then go local because they are aholes to deal with.

The BEST and ONLY way to get the point across to dealers and manufactures is with your money. Spend it at places that treat you right and are honest with service and price. The location of them does not matter.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what life would be like if all of the guys on here with good paying jobs(probably most of you), found out tomorrow that your boss was out looking for someone down south to do your job for less than you. I'm sure with the US economy the way it is that there would be plenty of people more than willing to replace you for less than you make now.
We pay a bit of a price to live in Canada and I for one think that price is worth every penny.
Maybe next time your down shopping in the US you can bring your replacement back with you, because along with sleds and trucks....the labour is cheap there as well..:beer:

I'd be happy LOL! Looking for a new job anyways :d I honestly don't care if someone will try and do it cheaper. Any new guy i've had can't even come close to doing my job. Can't count how many days I do the work of 2 people. I work hard, I ain't cheap, I don't work for nothing. If you want cheap you'll get that in work :beer:

trailblazer

Reaction score
Some very good points,i too have rethought the US purchase.Many excellent posts and remarks on this site have given me reason to rethink my opinion on the subject.Most of the dealers are good guy's and gals who are really supplying excellent sevice,it should be compensated for.I've met many of them and all were just good 'ol common folk,who seem to love what they do.I asked what dealership was the best to get a sled from(sort of redundent,i realize),and almost all dealers were mentioned.That tells me something positive. I know i want my clients to stay with me and when my price goes up,so does theirs.Really no different for them,they can't control the price,and i doubt their ripping any one of us off.They need to make money too.And when i thought about it,they're positive business's in our community's.Many volunteer,come in after hours,assist with club needs and so much more.I'd hate for one of my local businesses to go under because i went elsewhere,especially when they're trying to offer the best sevice and sales they can.I know i also don't work cheap,they shouldn't have to at the expense of our recreation.It's an unimaginable luxury to most of the world,to go snowmobiling and it's expensive.Without getting ripped off,we need to support all of our local business's...especially mine!!That's not to say ALL the mfg's could lower their price,especially now.i'm sure by the fall the prices for sleds will come down as long as the dollar stays high.
For the record,i still want a smokin' deal!!

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy LOL! Looking for a new job anyways :d I honestly don't care if someone will try and do it cheaper. Any new guy i've had can't even come close to doing my job. Can't count how many days I do the work of 2 people. I work hard, I ain't cheap, I don't work for nothing. If you want cheap you'll get that in work :beer:

I'm guessing from your response that you must be a professional Bull$hitter by trade....sorry could'nt resist:d

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you.... I work for a Global oil and gas company here in Alberta. Think Seashells;) Just went through a reorganization in which many people(Canadians) lost jobs to folks from the US, India, etc. I can tell you life in that environment sucks. Want service for your toy's and parts to fix em up...support your local dealers

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will soon have free health care, I doubt it... it is a perfect example, go to Minnisota(below you) and get hurt, find out what it costs ya, then do the same up here. I grew up on a Border town(Sault Ste Marie) some of my best buddies are Michigan residents, and they do not get any type of health care for free, you are correct you will not die on the steps of a hospital, they will fix you, the more $ adn the better coverage your have the better you get fixed., they then send you the bill in which you will have to sell everything you own to pay it, or claim bankruptsy(sorry I cant spell worth ch!t)
I had to drive from the states after me or a buddie wadded up on the track to get back over the border to go to the hospital, as going in the states cost alot more than you think, last time I checked even a X ray was 5 grand..., if an American citizen does not have insurance they are screwed if they want to get their injury fixed properly
depending on the state insurance is affordable (single person) family plans thats where the money gets exorbant...... as for an x-ray costing 5 gs.... buddy give your head a shake and when it falls off give it a kick. if you make comments on something at least know some fact or part there of......just sayin !

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the machines were not selling prices would drop. These are recreational products, luxury items, the only thing that will cause a reduction in price is a sustained drop in sales.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's another little tidbit, yes u can shop the internet from new york to washington or anywhere south of the border. sometimes they the dealer will dump out a product just to get there sales number up without having to service the unit, and or to get some breathing space on there lines of credit line to get more product in. and in my 30 years of the toy business haven't seen many dealers south of the border contributing money or time to clubs or trail projects in our riding areas. my .05 cents.

and for the old retiring guys, heck even the birdhouse market is in the toilet as there all made in china. go fiqure.

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

IV been in industry where cheaper southern labour was used.. cheaper by a long run. on the bright side it created more money for us here when we had to fix it so it would actualy run.. :).. thanks southern labour

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A wireline tech friend of mine just got back from a course in the US. He got himself in trouble for speaking to a new friend doing the same job as him in the USA. Their US pay structure was much lower than ours for doing the same work. And that's the patch.
Europeans pay quite a bit more than we do because of their tax system, and their currency can fluctuate a lot as well.
All things considered, I'd stay here, mostly shop here, get looked after here, and still even grumble a bit here over the difference.
My ride gets looked after very well by Cdn tech's when I need it, and I do need them once in a while, and yes, I grumble a bit then too.
Great Sledding around McBride last weekend!
C'est la vie en Canada!

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's completely false.

But anyways, I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the subsidies that the CDN government gives to Bombardier, who in turn screws us. Pretty much enough for me to not buy from them. And you know if the bastards weren't from Quebec they wouldn't see a dime of federal money.

You are wrong. BRP does not receive government money to subsidize the sled, atv and watercraft. It is a seperate company. The planes and trains Bombardier may get federal dollars to compete against airbus and brazil but not the BRP sled company. Next time get your facts together before you spew crap.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must have shares in brp to have a trip like that...HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Top Bottom