Lowballers

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kijiji has become popular place to buy and sell, but wether it be kijiji, craigs list, the paper or even a number pulled from a bulletin board, lowball offers are going to happen wether one likes it or not. it's not just "kijiji"

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed and this is generally what I do when buying and if they indicate they're firm on pricing I pay the asking price. Unless there is something legitimately wrong or misrepresented on inspection.

Lund - you mean favors in terms of holding and item for someone with "dibs" on it when other competing bids are coming in? I find this is the most awkward part of selling stuff. Suppose you have a deposit and a guy committed to travelling and purchasing; if someone shows up with cash in the meantime at asking price do you tell the other guy to turn around halfway there?

If i have agreed with some one on a deal, no matter what the deal is, good or bad for me and a physical deposit has been made in cash by the individual, via money transfer or physicaly handed me the money. I am obligated to hold my end of the deal no matter if a better deal comes along for the agreed time.
Once the agreed time though has expired, i am no longer in an agreed contract with the individual and i donot refund the money unless that was part of the agreement.
I won't play games with individuals and i do expect an individual to hold true to their end once a deal is made. IMO a deal is incomplete till all factors are covered, final price, method of payment, pickup or delivery agreement sealed with a hand shake.

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you advertised on kijiji and sold the item for less than you wanted. Now you are on here bitching about it because you didn't have the nuts to just say no to the buyer. Sounds kinda dumb to me.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold our sons 2008 Phazer 500 on kijiji. Had a guy wanting to trade a bike for it and another guy get mad and send a rude email cause I would't take his really lowball offer. the guy that took it came and looked at it. took it for a spin and we agreed on a price and it is now at his place being enjoyed by his kids. But you do get all kinds on there.But for the most part I don't expect any deal done til cash is in hand as many others have stated before me.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently have an 05 Summit up for sell with an ad. I have had people lowball me as low as $1500 for it, usualy on the phone without seeing it first. Had others offer me trades, like a car plus cash. Just this week a dude wanted to trade a motorcycle plus me giving him cash on top. The dude emailed me and had never seen the sled physicaly.
I cannot knock the guy for trying, who knows, as far as he knows maybe i would of said yes.
It comes with the territory when you advertise to the world out there, you have to take it as it is, everyone is looking for a deal. Plus you quickly figure out many don't have the $$$ and are wishing and hoping thus lowballers and trades.
BTW my asking price is for that 05 Summit is $4500.....hahaha

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not quite but thanks for your input lol

When i was young i found dealing very difficult, either buying or selling. You do get better at it with time, i'm 50yrs old and have done this for many yrs. I don't know how old you are, but if its not something you do often it can be intimidating at times. Especialy with certain people.
I have learnt quickly to decipher serious and not so serious buyers by there actions, making selling much easier.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm no spring chicken (44) but dont' do a lot of sales and admittedly don't do well when faced with the lower last minute offer. And I'm sure the offeree reads me like an open book so I tend to get taken advantage of. Like said I just need to grow a pair for future transactions :)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little off subject but related.
Here is a BIG TIP when buying new at dealer's, sleds or ATV's.

Many think and feel that you get a much better deal when buying in cash from dealers.....that is the farthest thing from the truth.
Dealers make little when cash deals are done and are LESS motivated to deal on price.
For your BEST deals alway use the financing that they offer. Dealers get HUGE BENEFITS and KICKBACKS from financial institutes for offering their products(finacial institutes product). Thus are much more motivated in dealing to close a deal.
This allows them to move much more on their final price unlike a cash deal.
Once the deal is through a 30day period has to elapse then pay out the lender.
That is your best way to get the best deal at a dealer.

Last edited:

01Sharp

Reaction score
I recently sold my 2009 Xp 800, had a guy text me....ask me if I'd trade it for a 1988 Chev half ton (that needed work) for my sled. I told him I would trade him $6500 Canadian dollars for my sled no trucks, no chickens.....no reply. If they want to low ball me.....I'm coming right back at you with an even dumber idea. Fight stupid with stupid!

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little off topic.... I agreed with a seller to buy a fluke meter. We agreed to meet the following day at a specified time. I had to drive from one end of the city to the other. I was half way there when I got a text saying sorry he just sold it !!! What a dick. I sent him a text asking him if he new why a mans word meant chit in today's world? No reply
He wouldn't answer my calls

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess for those who have never sold anything on kijiji, if i could count the number of guys who told me they were coming at a certain time, and to hold it for them ....and never show up, to effin bad. I don't hold anything and I let them know that. First come first serve.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every time I sell something I always have the price advertised higher than what I will take for it.
I will never take offers until the guy see it, as I will never make an offer until I see it.
However I will ask how much do they want for it even if the ad has an asking price.

Until cash is in my hand it is not sold.
To many times I had someone say that they would take never to show up or Lowball me after I held it for them.
I not trying to make friends just trying to sell or buy something

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing out there beats kijiji for buying and selling stuff, never ever had some one try and low ball me yet. And as far as buying something i will not even call them if it is over priced to begin with. Waiting for some one or having to go to a certain spot gets me pissed though.

Top Bottom