Lowballers

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just venting here a bit. Twice in a week now I've had deals arranged for items and deals made with the buyers implying they're going to pay asking price. Then when everything is arranged and they show up at the door they make some lowball offer. Not so low as I walk away though, the first guy was 15% under asking and the guy yesterday was 10% under.

From an integrity perspective when I arrange to buy something I make sure to ask the seller if they're accepting offers, etc. and make sure we have an agreed price before I head off and show up at his door. I don't show up and play games, making up an excuse that I could only get $500 out of the bank machine or despite the thousands of pictures and emails I suddenly suspect you're missing some parts..

Obviously at the end of the day it's my fault for accepting the offers. For future sales I'm going to make absolutely sure there is price agreement, no dealing at the doorstep, and I have to also learn to stand up better and say no rather than caving and then feeling ripped off.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A bunch of years ago I was selling a XR600 dirt bike, it was worth $1500 and no less. Could have got a little more, but didn't want to go through a ton of tire kickers.
So a guy seen my add in the Bargain Finder, called and agreed on 1500. He came to my place looked at the bike and asked if I would take 1200?

I said, no
he said, 1300
I said, 1700
He said, 1400
I said 2100

He said...... OK...... I'll give you 1500, and I said HUH???? I'm at 2100, so if you want the bike. That is what you have to pay!!!
He never took the bike, and I sold it a couple of days later for 1500.
But I do have to agree that when the deal is done, it should be done and the haggling at the door shouldn't happen.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'm just feeling a little stupid here today but I'll get over it. It's just a mind game, the guy yesterday drove halfway across the province so pretty unlikely he would have walked away if I refused the offer.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem here both times was the "implied" sale at asking price, I should have explicitely agreed the sale at asking price and clarified not taking offers before these guys showed up.

I'm actually much more formal with this kind of thing when I have to resort to Kijiji to sell, these last 2 cases were through enthusiast forums where you tend to trust the members to a greater extent.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If someone wants to buy something and come look at it you can't consider it sold until cash is in hand. You can't tell the condition from pictures, no matter how good. When I am selling and some one offers a low price without looking at the item I don't have much time for them, especially when the price in the ad is firm and written as so. When I am buying I will usually se what the person is willing to do before I go out and look. When I go I will either pay the asking price if it is a good deal. If the price is a little high I will bargain. If the price in the add is too high I won't look until I have asked how far they are willing to move. It is all a game and if you don't want to play the game then you have to keep it or trade it.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^ fair enough, I could have more clearly stated firm pricing on both ads. I would however contend in both sales the item was accurately represented, priced fairly and the lowball offer came at the last minute IMO as a bit of a sneaky tactic. I'm just more pissed at the second item because I turned down multiple offers at the lowball price and held the item for the buyer because 1) he contacted me before the other guys and 2) I was assuming he was paying asking price. There was a kid in Red Deer that really should have got it a month ago at the final price it went for.

EDIT Let me clarify I'm not overly upset here just venting a bit like said, not holding any grudges. When I do take offers on things 10% is my typical guideline for bargaining.

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother has had people drive across the city for a $20 item and offer him $10 when they get there. He usually tells them it's not for sale anymore and it's time to leave. Even when they decide to pay the asking price, he's so mad that he won't sell to them.
I always ask people if they are firm on the price so I know when I get there and actually see what they are selling.
You just have to put up with people sometimes and be firm. Today I went to look at something on kijiji. The ad said OBO and I offered a little less than the posted price. The guy said the full asking price was a good deal. Don't put OBO in your ad if your not willing to accept offers!

The guy that bought my sled a couple of months ago drove 8 hours to see it. It's easier to stay firm on the price because I only drove 20 minutes, he made a huge commitment and I priced it pretty fair. Easier for me to walk away.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's just another bargaining tactic. Albeit it's a nervy one because you are standing face to face.
I like to deal but I will usually make a lowball offer on the phone and if it is not accepted, I will go and view the item. Then we can agree on a price.
Remember, as the seller, you control the selling price. As a buyer, you control the value of the item. Sometimes both agree, sometime both don't.
Remember, an item is only with what someone will give you for it.
One tip for the sellers. Never consider an item sold until cash has traded hands. Do not feel obligated to "hold" an item unless you have a deposit.

Turts, typing on

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A bunch of years ago I was selling a XR600 dirt bike, it was worth $1500 and no less. Could have got a little more, but didn't want to go through a ton of tire kickers.
So a guy seen my add in the Bargain Finder, called and agreed on 1500. He came to my place looked at the bike and asked if I would take 1200?

I said, no
he said, 1300
I said, 1700
He said, 1400
I said 2100

He said...... OK...... I'll give you 1500, and I said HUH???? I'm at 2100, so if you want the bike. That is what you have to pay!!!
He never took the bike, and I sold it a couple of days later for 1500.
But I do have to agree that when the deal is done, it should be done and the haggling at the door shouldn't happen.

Great story! I personally tell potential buyers no haggling on the phone or text or email . I will just say I am flexible and bring the cash when he/she comes to look at it in person whether it be at my home or a parking lot somewhere( so they dont see my place)... But yeah lowballers are rude

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when an ad says "must sell" I think LOWBALL BABY !!!

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
God damn .... Kijiji is such a love hate relationship !!
I buy and sell a lot of things on kijiji , almost never buy at asking price and almost never sell at asking price.
I always ask a bit more then I figure I will let something go for, therefore you can knock a few dollars off and everybody's happy.
If the person doesn't want to meet that price they can walk away and I'll sell it to the next guy.
All depends on how desperate a person is to get rid of something.
I sold a piece of fitness equipment the yesterday I had it posted at $120 because I wanted $100 and the guy shows up , says you take $100. Yep , sold.
Sold my kingquad in July and had it posted at a very fair price of $6200 cause I wanted $6000. Guy drove in from big valley says I'll give ya $5500, I said no I'll let it go for $6000. He said I'll take it away for $5800 , nope I'll kept it for that price. He was all pissed off over $200 , well "guess what I own it, not you "
Sold it the next day for $6000 to the next guy.

Very true about nothing sold until money has exchanged hands. I Never hold anything for anybody. Money talks and bulls**t walks.

Sent from my iPhone using while working extremely hard

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when an ad says "must sell" I think LOWBALL BABY !!!

I like the MUST SELL ads but priced stupid high and FIRM !!
Idiots , do people think if you put "must sell" , it makes it a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using while working extremely hard

Top Bottom