looking to improve sled

polaris rider

Reaction score
I got a 2002 polaris 800 rmk. Sled doesnt seem to perform that well out in the mountains and was woundering if there was anything i could do to it to improve it any.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
grab hold of the fuel cap turn it counterclockwise untill cap comes off in hand have friend drive you to nearest polaris dealer reverse process on a new 800 pro problem fixed
I got a 2002 polaris 800 rmk. Sled doesnt seem to perform that well out in the mountains and was woundering if there was anything i could do to it to improve it any.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Single pipe,reeds and maybe better track and drop some lower gears in it.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres lots of things you can do to improve that sled, but how much coin do you want to dump into a ten year sled. Need to know what your budget is. If you have two to three grand to throw around, the best thing to do would be to sell it and buy a rev or m chassis sled, If you have more money go newer. Back in the day I spent alot of money on a 01 summit zx. big bore, pipes, longer deeper track, light weight parts the list goes on. In the end its a fun sled but it didnt go much better than a stock rev or xp. If you look through the classifieds lots of people are letting there 05-09 mod sleds with a pile of cash dump into them for pretty reasonable prices. My brother currently rides a rev with all the same stuff done as my old 01 and there two totally different sleds, not even comparable. If your going to start sinking money into something make sure its a rider forward chassis.

You never really gave alot of info on your sled. Im not to familiar with an 02 polaris, some one will chime in whether they altitude compensate for the jets, but did you have the sled jetted proper? Did you have the weights for the mountains in the primary? Was it pulling proper rpm? Is your skid set up properly, or are you digging giant trench holes every where. Two identical stock sleds will greatly be different depending how there setup.

polaris rider

Reaction score
The jetting and weights in the clutch are right for riding in reve and sicamous according to the charts that polaris gave me but the owner before me changed the track from a 144x2 to a 151x2.

justpinit

Reaction score
Single pipe,reeds and maybe better track and drop some lower gears in it.

Yep......better track meaning at least a used stock RMK take-off 2.4"x 155". Big difference. Put a 163 x 2.5 on that thing with a pipe & reeds and your buddies will be following YOU:cool:

.....and you could eBay & swap meet your way into it with used parts and some home fab work for less than $1000

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
serviced the clutches lately?(take a part, clean, new springs,etc.) best and cheapest thing you can do other than a new belt to a used sled imho.

Top Bottom