Looking for your reviews on Ford Ecoboost

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just about bought one but i decided on the new gm instead, to me anyway it seemed liked a much nicer truck all around, not as much torque i know but i only tow from time to time.
The ford to me just seemed plain and theyre do for a revamp
This is a good point. The ford is really plain until you get into the FX4 and lariat or higher trim packages.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea my 'XTR' pack is not the most exciting, but she gets r done.
The XTR by far makes the most sense price wise. If I still decide to pull the trigger on one it will be an XTR too. Sure wish it wasn't such a price jump for the FX4 though!

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The XTR by far makes the most sense price wise. If I still decide to pull the trigger on one it will be an XTR too. Sure wish it wasn't such a price jump for the FX4 though!

Yea no doubt the Lariat would have been my choice but an 8k difference didn't really excite me too much.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a good point. The ford is really plain until you get into the FX4 and lariat or higher trim packages.

Even then the fx4 still seemed like it had a blah interior. Exterior is better but even then the decals are gonna get cheesy after a bit and have to be taken off. For the generic rims, stickers and seat piping i dont think its worth the $2500 for the appearance package, id just go regular fx4 then do your own upgrades.
But i did like the ecoboost, and would prob be fun with aftermarket mods

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even then the fx4 still seemed like it had a blah interior. Exterior is better but even then the decals are gonna get cheesy after a bit and have to be taken off. For the generic rims, stickers and seat piping i dont think its worth the $2500 for the appearance package, id just go regular fx4 then do your own upgrades.
But i did like the ecoboost, and would prob be fun with aftermarket mods
Yeah the FX4 w/ appearance package is a little too boy racerish for my taste.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really related to the 5.0 vs Eco question, but I am happy with mine. It will look a bit better with the Duratracs on it too. White letter side walls will go inward this time too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412359648.668102.jpg

calltrex

Reaction score
Anyone know if the ecodiesel warms up fast or does it take long time like normal big diesels?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input! Makes the decision easier knowing it's not something I may hate in a couple months. I'm looking at a black 14 FX4 crewcab long box. Coming from an F-350, I think towing should be a bit similar with the Ecoboost. I pulled my boat with a 14 Ram 1500 and it wasn't very good at it. Thanks again all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABOMB177

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input! Makes the decision easier knowing it's not something I may hate in a couple months. I'm looking at a black 14 FX4 crewcab long box. Coming from an F-350, I think towing should be a bit similar with the Ecoboost. I pulled my boat with a 14 Ram 1500 and it wasn't very good at it. Thanks again all!

Towing wont be similar at all to the F-350. I had a 13 ecoboost for a little over a year and opted back to a diesel. You will really notice the big engine isnt up front when towing near the mid to upper level of load range of this truck. If you are going gas to save on maint and upfront price I reccomend the 14 GMC sierra 1500. Basically same tow ratings as ecoboost but with a real engine. It also gets better millage(wifes truck). I noticed with my ecoboost that it started to get really bad turbo lag, extremely hard shifting after only 40,000KM. I could have had a lemmon but had no interest in waiting to find out. Also if there is any sort of wind while towing it can get a little white knuckling in a hurry. Just my thoughts anyways

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Towing wont be similar at all to the F-350. I had a 13 ecoboost for a little over a year and opted back to a diesel. You will really notice the big engine isnt up front when towing near the mid to upper level of load range of this truck. If you are going gas to save on maint and upfront price I reccomend the 14 GMC sierra 1500. Basically same tow ratings as ecoboost but with a real engine. It also gets better millage(wifes truck). I noticed with my ecoboost that it started to get really bad turbo lag, extremely hard shifting after only 40,000KM. I could have had a lemmon but had no interest in waiting to find out. Also if there is any sort of wind while towing it can get a little white knuckling in a hurry. Just my thoughts anyways

By a bit similar, I meant it shouldn't downshift so much. I know it's not going to be nearly the same. I have 4 out of 4 friends who have 2010-2014 Sierras, have transmission issues (one of them only has 50k, the others were In the 150k range) so I was staying away from GM. That, and GM's recent 80+ recalls isn't too reassuring either.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took a eco boost to Calgary and back, cool little engine, Got 13l/100k with it. Turbo sounds cool with the window rolled down. Noticed a bad turbo lag off idle to get across the street quick.

The cab noise was worse than my 3500 dodge. Hit a bump and the doors would make a strange noise. Same noise as when you closed the door. I noticed that the door skin would flex when you closed the door!! Silent metal all right lol.
The newer Fords never did impress me I still like the 85-95 MY f series.

I hear they are discontinuing the 3.5 in favor of a twin turbo 2.8, I think that's what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're not discontinuing the 3.5, it's still going to be in the lineup along with the 2.7 ecoboost. The 6.2 isn't going to be available in the F150 for the 2015 year unfortunately. I'm not sure if they're keeping the 5.0 or if it's going to just be the 2 ecoboost engines. They're going down to 4 selections for the F150's as well, the XLT, Lariat, King Ranch and the Platinum. But each will come with 2 or three upgradeable option packages. The Platinum is going to available with what they call a 360 degree view, cameras mounted in the tailgate, under each side mirror and under the oval in the front grill, this will have a little jet for washer fluid to keep it cleaned off. And it will also have a self parking mode. There's also a few other things that will be kind of cool too.

Sent from my iPad

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 2011 with the 5.0 and now I have a 2013 with the Ecoboost, the Ecoboost has slightly more and is slightly better on fuel. So I guess it's safe to say I like the Ecoboost slightly more lol. My 5.0 had 75000k trouble free, and my Ecoboost has over 32000k trouble free.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a dodge 1 ton is quieter than a Ford ecoboost 1/2 ton????? Gimme a break!!!!

Yep pretty sad isn't it. Lol

Close the door and watch the door skin shake on the 150. The truck I drove only had 60000k on it. Listening to the doors rattle was driving me nuts. Had to turn up the stereo up louder. So yes my 1 ton is quieter than that eco boost I drove.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep pretty sad isn't it. Lol

Close the door and watch the door skin shake on the 150. The truck I drove only had 60000k on it. Listening to the doors rattle was driving me nuts. Had to turn up the stereo up louder. So yes my 1 ton is quieter than that eco boost I drove.

I think it's because there's so much road noise between the cab and feeling/hearing every bump on the road, that you can now hear those little quirks. The cummins isn't known for its plush ride.

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
My wife has a 2013. the L/100km stays right around 15 but she drives the piss out of it hard on the throttle or hard on the breaks. It has a 3.73 rear end with the max tow package. She had a 6.0 gmc before and the Eco pulls way better not much downshifting and never gets hot. We have pulled our 8000lbs trailer from central Alberta to the Shuswap with it twice a year for the last 2 years instead of using my f 350 just because it's so much nicer to drive around in once we get there. It doesn't pull like a diesel but it pretty good better than any gas job I have ever owned. Its quiet and comfortable like a car. So far we are very happy with it been thinking about adding another one to the stable with the year end pricing they have right now. Only have 30k on it but no problems so far.

Top Bottom