Looking at an In Reach - Real Life Feedback?

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi! I've got a Spot 2 and it seems to take forever to send a message and then I'm never really sure it was sent. Consequently looking at the "In Reach" with two way texting capability. Any real life feedback? Suggestions? Thanks!

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding in vale last weekend a guy approached me asking if I had a sat phone to call a chopper because his friend was injured. I said yes. We called yellow head helicopters to find out he couldn't come because of the avy at clamina that just happened and told me that this guy would have to spend the night. Guess the point I'm making is it sure is nice to speak directly to whose your talking to to clearly know what's going on. This was the first emergency I've had to use the sat phone, and the guy was pretty happy I had one..

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an inreach. works as advertised. two way communication is a big plus especially in any kind of emergency

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am just setting up an inReachSE. The learning curve is a bit steep (at least for this technically illiterate ol' fart) but I am getting there. I have found I need a software update already so that my location is given with my posts. That is supposed to be just a plug-in and enter kind of thingy.

One can send SMS messages or email to contacts (pre-set ones or new ones) and receive replies back. That is sweet!

The lock switch on the SOS is nice as I have had buttons activated in a pocket or in my back pack. If it is turned off and placed in a pocket or back pack, it would be hard to start up as the power button needs to be held for 3-4 seconds to turn on. All in all, I think I will be happy when I get the up-date installed.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep us informed. As I have the first generation spot and want to upgrade.

Thanks

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep us informed. As I have the first generation spot and want to upgrade.

Thanks

Same here. Thinking of upgrading.
The first generation works well. Always got the message out and battery life is great.
I do like the idea of not having to use the cell phone to send a custom text.
Although the three pre programmed texts from the inreach itself usually cover what i have to say.

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here. Thinking of upgrading.
The first generation works well. Always got the message out and battery life is great.
I do like the idea of not having to use the cell phone to send a custom text.
Although the three pre programmed texts from the inreach itself usually cover what i have to say.

I like that feature of the first gen inreach. still works like a spot with the three pre programmed messages but confirms message delivery, you don't have to pair the phone unless you want to send something specific. I will be upgrading to the SE sometime soon, will be a little nicer to only have to pack one device.

csharko

Reaction score
I have the InReachSe, works great, I have done the update was simple just plug in and go, it is great for tracking as well, hit track when you leave the truck and end when you get back, then when you get home you plug into your laptop and it stores all your trips, I have sent and received SMS deep in the mountains and messages send and receive quickly, I can use it all day on track and when i get back to the truck i have Approx 65% life left, very happy with mine and I am sure you will be too.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the feedback! Definitely two way communication would be a huge benefit. Will go check the In Reach out this week...

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the standard InReach paired to my Iphone and have sent texts from the middle of now where and recieved an answer back....
It was stolen, so I upgraded to the SE, it also works great....

Sat phone would be nice, just found the cost more then I was willing to pay and with the two way messaging, it's a great alernitive.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

i tried to use the device to find the pre-set messages to no avail. Seems to me there are more than 3. I do know that I edited some messages (I am at the truck now. and I am home now) but I can't find them. As I said earlier, the learning curve is a little steep.

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have trouble pairing my phone and inreach most of the time on the hill... they replaced my first one but this new one is no different..... If i pair at the truck and put my phone in airplane mode then it stays paired and is easyier on battery but if i turn my phone off to save battery it doesnt like to pair up when on the hill

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have trouble pairing my phone and inreach most of the time on the hill... they replaced my first one but this new one is no different..... If i pair at the truck and put my phone in airplane mode then it stays paired and is easyier on battery but if i turn my phone off to save battery it doesnt like to pair up when on the hill

Why do you carry your phone with you? I don't even have cell service from most staging areas. Can't you set-up the inReach so you use it on it's own?

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The black box In reach uses the phone to text through the satellite. The new yellow one is a stand alone that you text with

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the InReach (black box) must be paired with a phone for two way texting. the InReach SE (yellow one) is the standalone model with 2 way text capability.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The black box In reach uses the phone to text through the satellite. The new yellow one is a stand alone that you text with

the InReach (black box) must be paired with a phone for two way texting. the InReach SE (yellow one) is the standalone model with 2 way text capability.

I understand. It would be much easier to type with the smart phone instead of the key pad on the inReach. It is the same type of key pad as the Rino's use. Pretty slow and intensive.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was having the same issues.
If you go on their website, you will find a firmware update.
I ended up restoring mine and redoing the firmware update.
It seems all good now...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was having the same issues.
If you go on their website, you will find a firmware update.
I ended up restoring mine and redoing the firmware update.
It seems all good now...

Yes, the firmware up-date was good. Kind of funny how they had it set up. It wasn't like most downloads one experiences and uses. When my messages go out, they have a map and location attached.

Cycle Works West

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
We brought the InReach SE in this season and we've had great reviews from all our customers who have purchased one, staff members included. They're 319.00 and worth the money. The InReach SE provides you with the security of knowing your message has gotten out. You're able to communicate back and forth about the severity of your situation; rather than pushing a button and assuming the signal has gotten out and someone is on route. You never know when you or someone else might need this devise.

Top Bottom