Looking at a Rincon 680

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at other options before I go ahead and buy a Can-Am XXC and was kind of thinking about going back to Honda.
Unfortunately, they still seem to be under powered but are comparable to a Grizzly 700 or a AC 650.
That said I had a few questions I thought I would ask other owners.
Do the Rincon's have a low range? How are they at turning 27" tires? Do the axles/trans hold up?
I heard about some guys swapping the trans for a Big Red trans and that makes them wake right up with alot more bottom end grunt. Anyone else hear this?
I don't much care about top end, but if it can't pull itself through the swamp and mud with some decent wheel speed, then I'm not going to waste my time-even if they are 3-4 grand cheaper than an 800 Can-Am. I went that route back when I had my Foreman and it wasn't much fun having to go around alot of the fun holes.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a bunch of reading over at Rincon Riders and learned a bunch of stuff. First thing I learned is that you can change the gears in the subtrans using parts for mthe Big Red Side by side to help it pull hard in the lower gears. Top end is limited to about 75km/h though depending on tire size. Not too many problems with them from everything else I read.
The last thing I learned is that most of the guys over there are about as fun as being probed with a pineapple. They all but told me to piss up a rope when I asked a few questions about how the Rincon is as a mudder saying that it's only good for trails and everyone that bought one spend like 10 grand modifying them and turned around selling them and that they I was an idiot for thinking I could ride one in the mud. Dick's with ears.......

So now I don't know if I want it or not......

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good research... what did you end up buying? I wont buy Can am as I have had nothing but problems with my dodge and they both have one thing in common... built in Mexico... IMOP their quality control isn't good enough... and i'd "try" to buy built in North America whenever I can...

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havent bought anything yet but I am still leaning towards a Rincon. If anything it will make a good second quad for the missus.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a used Rincon for a good price and it's in awesome shape. Probably going to pick it up next week sometime. One question for those that have had one, is a quick little grind when shifting gears into reverse from neutral normal?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Comparing a rincon to a CA 800 is like comparing a toyota prius to a ZR 6.....lol . I simply don`t understand how you can compare these two bikes,with out looking at a LOT of bikes that slide in between the two..... The first time you ride it with other bikes along,you will replace the rincon..............................

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were looking at a xxc and now thinking of a rincon you will regret it. Why put in all that work and still not get even close to what you want. Buy the xxc and dont look back.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it doesn't have the power of an 800 Outlander. Or even a 650. But I don't need a HP monster for my 130lb chick to ride . I need reliable and easy to ride and one thing that I really like about it is no belt to soak or clutches to maintain. That's as far as I needed to look when looking at a second quad for the missus to ride.

I have decided a Can Am is going to be in my future though. Probably an Outlander 800X XC.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would still look at the can am. Get one with a better suspension, power steering and a max and it will be easier to ride then a rincon. You can also get a 650.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every other bike in that class is better than the honda. Plus a few in the 550 class as well. Clutchs and belts have little to do with it.....If you stay with 27 and smaller tires your stock belt on most bikes will last a LONG time.
Plus,you have 4 wheel drive and low range and power steering.

It`s your call , ask me when the last time i have seen a Rincon on the trail though..........................

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rzrgade It`s your call said:
2 weeks ago playing in the snow with me. his had 26''mudbugs and have riden with him for a few years now and he has enjoyed the rincon since he bought it no problems in the mud and skeg

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for the price of an almost new 680 Rincon compared to a used 650 or even a 500 for that matter Can Am, there is no comparison. The Rinny is cheaper with a lot less required maintenance. Two pluses in my book for a reason to buy it over the Can Am.
The 3 wheel drive does suck, but a gearless locker fixes that easy enough. However 90% of the guys I ride with never lock their diffs anyhow and I'm coming off a Vinson which doesn't have a diff lock either so really it's not that big of an issue for me.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have talked yourself into buying it already. You will have to update this after you have ridden it for a year. It isnt a bad quad but I have a buddy who bought one. I put some time on it. He used to get it stuck in the snow all the time. He sold it to another buddy that found it getting stuck in the mud pretty easily compared to other quads too.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had one for two years 27" tires 30% gear reduction and a snorkle. Run in to Can Ams on the trails all the time. First they laugh then they just have a stupid look on their face when I drive through the same hole in 3wd. Touching the front brake usually gets the front end to switch to the other side so Diff lock isn't required. The people that i ride with all thought Hondas were to underpowered but have since changed their opinion and now two of them are looking at trading in their machine for one. The only time i am not in the running is when I'm on the road and that is due to the gear reduction. When it was stock i was right there at 100km/hr.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a dark and stormy night,then i woke up.....................................Sweet dreams lol

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on a honda 680. If you go this way you mind as well buy a honda crv. You will get just as far. They have no low end grunt and can not spin the tires. Better off getting a honda 500 or going with a grizz. But if your mind is set and you like to be dissapointed go ahead and buy one.

Just my 2C

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honda 680 is only good for reliability wich it is the most reliable in my opinion! I have 1 love the comfortable ride love how reliable it is and never has had an issue but it is majorly underpowered and has a really really soft front end that dives very easily in the loose stuff I have rolled mine several times because of the front end diving but nothing a spring spacer cant fix. they definately need a low gear as the honda 500's and 420's would blow by you off the line and up a hill but once the rincon got going it it seemed alright mine did 100 km/h all day. for mudding it's not the greatest but for a good all around trail riding machine that is good for a girl to drive as well then the 680 isnt a bad choice but if it is for you and you want power and a good mudder go with something else

07SavageRincon

Reaction score
Amazing machine!! reliable as hell. it NEEDS the gear reduction unfortunately but after that you will have no problem roasting the tires in skeg

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shouldnt have to put a gr in a 680 to turn 27 or 28s thats just terrible my gfs can am 500 can prob pull better then that rincon can even with a gr. i had a buddie that had a griz 660 sold it for a rincon and hated it now he has a outty 800

Top Bottom