Locking or Chaining a Sled

SummitMilf

Reaction score
Chatting to a friend last night about sleds and stuff and he mentioned I should chain or lock my sled to my truck box. First I have ever heard of people doing this. Also, this season was the first time I've ever seen anyone even lock a sled to their sled deck. Does anyone out there do this? Seems like a pain in the bum and not much of a deterrent. Thoughts? Should I be locking my sled to my truck box? If so what is the best way? Thanks for any help and info!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've got padlocks on the front superclamps, and I've also got locks on the back of them thru the suspension and around the deck rail.

SummitMilf

Reaction score
I've got padlocks on the front superclamps, and I've also got locks on the back of them thru the suspension and around the deck rail.

Ok that seems easy. But what about a snowmobile in a truck box? I have never seen anyone do this for a sled in the back of a truck. Is this something I should consider doing?

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I have a long cable lock I use to lock the two sleds on my deck to the truck. I just loop it through the track and then back to the deck. I also try to park between two vehicles at the hotel and back up to the building and make it a little harder to move the sleds if they wanted to.

We also have hitch locks and pad locks on all the doors of our 4 place. Neither are much of a deterrent but it does make a thief spend some extra time to get access to the sleds. This might make him look at my rig as more of a pain than it is worth and go after the easy to grab sled that is not locked or secured for a quick getaway.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lock is designed to keep the honest crooks away...if the bad guys want it, they're going to get it no matter what. But, that being said, anything you can do to slow the bad guys down, or make the lazy useless bast@rds work a bit harder, the better chance you have of them moving on to an easier target.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have never chained just my sled in the box, but I rarely have it in there. The sled trailer is locked, but the keys are pulled. Not for safety but for piece of mind that I don't lose them.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a long cable lock I use to lock the two sleds on my deck to the truck. I just loop it through the track and then back to the deck. I also try to park between two vehicles at the hotel and back up to the building and make it a little harder to move the sleds if they wanted to.

We also have hitch locks and pad locks on all the doors of our 4 place. Neither are much of a deterrent but it does make a thief spend some extra time to get access to the sleds. This might make him look at my rig as more of a pain than it is worth and go after the easy to grab sled that is not locked or secured for a quick getaway.

you may be better off locking the doors from the inside, nothing to cut and nothing to break. although they can just go through the side of yer trailer real easy. maybe chain the wheels together, or one of those wheel locks.

SummitMilf

Reaction score
I have just personally never seen anyone use this tactic with the sled in the back of their truck. Only ever seen it once on a sled deck. Does anyone out there that puts their sled in the back of their truck lock or chain it? I strap my sled down front and back, and believe me strapping it in the front is a big pain in the bum enough.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Master lock makes a sweet cable called the snake lock(I think) it's a coated black cable that slides through a lock assembly and can be strung through any hole in your truck box, trailer or deck. Like previously stated, it will just slow the pro thiefs down.....if they want itthey'll get it. I use a pin lock on my receiver, pad lock on my hitch and superclamps and the snake lock through the rails to the trailer loops. Just a piece of mind for me thinking I did everything I could.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
before I had a deck I would chain my sled when it was in the box. I would run the chain through the skid and through the rear big wheels and then around the headache rack rail.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
milf
it becomes a real pain to chain everything, but may be the only way to keep your sled in the box of the truck. you have to get in the habbit of chaining the front as you load yer sled the rear can be done as you finish loading. i use tie downs in the truck and chain through the suspension. locked to the frame or bumber of truck.
see a lot of local riders in fernie and golden area with sled locked in truck box. :D

SummitMilf

Reaction score
before I had a deck I would chain my sled when it was in the box. I would run the chain through the skid and through the rear big wheels and then around the headache rack rail.

I don't have a headache rack, but thru the skid seems good. I was thinking cable lock in the front thru the aarms, kind of hidden lock that way. Don't want my new doo to go missing.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I have just personally never seen anyone use this tactic with the sled in the back of their truck. Only ever seen it once on a sled deck. Does anyone out there that puts their sled in the back of their truck lock or chain it? I strap my sled down front and back, and believe me strapping it in the front is a big pain in the bum enough.

I have used my cable lock in the truck box. I went through the rails a few wraps and then down to the chain hook ups on the hidden hitch. If anything the crook will hopefully see that it is locked and move on to the next truck that is easier pray.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A cable through the skid and fed through the track window (to keep track from turning) then wrapped around a fixed part of truck.ie: bumper or trailer chain holes on hitch makes as good a deterrent as anything. As stated above if they want it they will get it.

SummitMilf

Reaction score
Great thanks for all the information guys. I will be heading to Lordco!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not much will stop a guy with a portable grinder, or a cable cutter, thankfully only the organized thieves usually have these.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most truck accessory places carry Toy Locks which are a retractable cable and pad lock system. They mount to the stake pocket. Like everyone has been saying it's only going to stop the honest thieves but if you can slow them down and limit the time they have to work at it (Park in a busy well lit area). They may pass you by.

TL006_b.jpg

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a brand new sled and even considered not locking it?????? Many many many opportunistic people out there willing to help you part with it. I lock mine all the time to the deck, and yes, used to in the truck box before the days of my deck. through the a-arms and around both anchors if you can at a bare minimum. Seems like a pain in the ass, small price to pay instead of coming out and finding your sled missing. Cable lock better than chain IMO, I got a real thick one from Costco for like $20, almost an inch around. Fully protected lock so no dirt/water gets in.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"unfortunately" I lock my sled in the box too but the best deterrent is not to leave it in the box. But you also have to worry that they dont take both your truck and sled so you have to consider some sort of theft proof for your truck. My cousin had his truck and sled stolen in Kelowna. Never did see them again and unfortunately no insurance on the sled. So, it maybe inconvenient to lock them but much more inconvenient and expensive if they take it.

Top Bottom