Let's talk winches

94fordguy

Ok, So I'm looking to get a quality winch for my Scrambler should the need ever arise. I know the machine is claimed to weigh 571 lbs.

I'm considering getting a Warn winch as they are supposed to be a good name, but want to make sure I do my homework on this first.

Anyone have any first-hand experience with the Warn RT25 or RT30? I want to make sure I have plenty of power and reliability should I ever need it and 2,500-3,000 lbs sounds like either one would have plenty of guts for a 600lb machine, right?

e45050262.jpg

Also, anyone have any pics of a winch installed on a Scrambler? The front end frame design is kinda unique and even though I found a mount designed for the scrambler , I just can't visualize it... Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Crow22

Reaction score
I have the RT25 on my brute force 650 for about 2 years & the RT30 on my 750 trex for almost 1 year. Seem to be good winches,no problems yet.If I did it again I would go for a wireless remote on the side x side. It is to far to reach from the switch to the cable to spool it back in,so I have to hook up the wired remote. Both winches will drag the machines before stalling, sometimes I tie up to a tree or a quad without a winch. We have had quads stuck in the mud or skeg so bad that 3 or 4 winches were needed to get it out. So do you really need a 4000 or 5000 lb winch? No you need some buddys with winches. Of course, this is just my opinion. Crow 22:)

menmysportsmn

Reaction score
See wat the Polaris dealer has for your atv. A scambler is a Polaris I believe right ? They have pretty good winches. And def get a synthetic cable or wat ever they are called. Much better then a steel cable lighter stronger and they don't kink up or cut your hand

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
See wat the Polaris dealer has for your atv. A scambler is a Polaris I believe right ? They have pretty good winches. And def get a synthetic cable or wat ever they are called. Much better then a steel cable lighter stronger and they don't kink up or cut your hand

Do NOT go to a polaris dealer for a 2500 lb winch. I have 6 of them on 2009 polaris models and they are ALL junk in my opinion. I have had to work on everyone of them. They are loud and don't seal worth a muck. They are made by warn but I believe they are the bottom of the pile winches that polaris uses from them. I have an RT 2500 on my Can-Am now it it works flawlessly. Synthetic rope holds up well as long as your not winching across rocks the rope will self destruct in seconds :eek:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even on a quad, I wouldn't go less than an 3000lb.

I have a xt25 on my rhino and have to use a snatch block,.. soon to be replaced with a Viper Max 4000. What I have noticed after running it through some water a few times, is that its starting to get noisey.

Last edited:

94fordguy

I was going to say I had read a few threads on here about Polaris winches being a pile of junk, so I wanted to make sure that any one with this particular series of Warn winches could give me a good or bad review.

The thing I worry about with getting one with rope would obviously be the durability factor, I don't want to worry about it getting cut on a rock or some such thing as mentioned. Is the cable really that much of a hassle to handle? Is the rope really that much better? I dont care about weight, really the more weight on the front of the quad the better IMO. Also, would rope be likely to stand up well if it was to be exposed to the elements; water, mud, etc?

Thanks for the input so far:beer:

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a warn 2500 on my BF and now a Viper 4000 on my rzr, for the money, I would get a Viper if I were you, about 1/4 the price of the warn and just as good of a winch IMO.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also I just thought about, if you use a plow with your atv you will need a winch with mechanical breaking and not dynamic.

94fordguy

No plans to mount a plow as far as I am thinking, but it does say that it has a disc brake.....

Here's the description for the RT30 from the site I was looking at it on.

FOR BIGGER ATVs AND HEAVIER PULLING JOBS, THIS WINCH HELPS YOU GET THE JOB DONE IN THE FIELD AND ON THE TRAIL.

With a mammoth 3,000 lb. pulling capacity, 50" of durable aircraft-grade wire rope, and a convenient handheld remote, the RT30 has the features you need to get the job done in the field and on the trail. No matter what the situation, the RT30"s full sealing means the winch is prepared to do battle against the elements, and it"s all-metal 3-stage planetary geartrain will provide countless years of smooth, reliable operation. The patent-pending brake prevents rollback and will hold your vehicle securely on inclines. A standard handheld wired remote and handlebar-mounted mini-rocker switch increases your winching options so you can get the job done right.

RT30 SPECS/PART NUMBERS
Part Number: 76000
Rated Line Pull: 3000 lbs (1360 kgs)
Motor: 12V DC, .9 hp (.7 kW) permanent magnet, Sealed
Controls: Corded remote and handlebar-mounted mini-rocker control switch
Geartrain: All-metal 3-stage planetary
Gear Ratio: 154:1
Clutch (freespooling): Sliding pin and ring gear
Brake: patent-pending disc brake
Drum Diameter/Length: 2.0"/2.9" (52mm / 74mm)
Fairlead: Roller
Rope: 50" Aircraft-grade Wire, 3/16" diameter (15 m, 5mm diam.)
Recommended Battery: 12 Amp/hour minimum
Battery Leads: 6 gauge
Duty Cyle: Intermittent
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Mounting Bolt Pattern: 3.0" x 4.88" (76 x 124mm)
Winch Dimensions: 13.12" L x 4.51" D x 4.69" H (33.3cm L x 11.5cm D x 11.9cm H)
Winch Weight: 15.6 lbs. (7.1 kgs)

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here I got all excited for a minute, I thought you were talking about wench's until I read the post.

I have the RT30 on both my can am's and have never had a problem, given them some really good work outs and not an issue.

menmysportsmn

Reaction score
well i have had my polaris 2500 pound winch burn out on me once it was a nightmar and i havnt had any experience with any other ones so idk. but when i had the steal cable i only used it 4 times and i nearly broke it it kinked and frayed so much and had to have it replaced synthetic is better IMO

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Yamaha warn rt2500 on my grizzly 700[600lbs] and have used it many times and no problems.I also have the exact winch RT30 in the pic unimounted to my rhino and have never had a mechanical issue with it other than a few stalls when the rhino was stuck in deep wet snow.I now have the XT40 mounted behind the bumper of the rhino and use the RT30 for pulling from the rear.I have 3 warns and no problems and I do use my winchs all the time.BTW I am glad I upgraded to the XT40 as I like the wireless remote and synthetic line

94fordguy

I have the Yamaha warn rt2500 on my grizzly 700[600lbs] and have used it many times and no problems.I also have the exact winch RT30 in the pic unimounted to my rhino and have never had a mechanical issue with it other than a few stalls when the rhino was stuck in deep wet snow.I now have the XT40 mounted behind the bumper of the rhino and use the RT30 for pulling from the rear.I have 3 warns and no problems and I do use my winchs all the time.BTW I am glad I upgraded to the XT40 as I like the wireless remote and synthetic line

Thanks for the info:beer:

Ya, a rhino is definitely gonna be heavier than my quad, so that doesnt bother me to hear that when you got it stuck deep, lol.

Thanks to everyone for the reviews... glad to hear lots of positive feedback, I think I'll go with the RT30 when I get ready to get this plan into action:d:d:d:beer::beer:

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info:beer:

Ya, a rhino is definitely gonna be heavier than my quad, so that doesnt bother me to hear that when you got it stuck deep, lol.

Thanks to everyone for the reviews... glad to hear lots of positive feedback, I think I'll go with the RT30 when I get ready to get this plan into action:d:d:d:beer::beer:

One thing you'll find is that the rt25 and rt30 are the same winch, the only difference is the wiring, the rt30 has heavier guage wires which gives it more power.
I have the RT25 on my 750 Brute force that weighs, on a guess,800+LBS with all my aftermarket goodies, fuel, and gear then add the 300+LBS of me and I have never had the winch even close to powering out even when pulling the machine and me out of the thick, deep mud.
I have never dealt with any of the other winch brands but there are people that have problems with all the brands. They all get treated different and abused from time to time but Warn has great warrantee and a proven name!

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically it comes down to your riding style and how much trouble you go looking for! What i have learnt is DON"T GO OUT IN THE WOODS?TRAILS?MUD?SNOW? WITHOUT a winch.......I personally have a cheap one but I don't go looking for trouble.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the RT 2500 on my 700 kawi, and have never powered it out. i also carry a snatch block with me that i only used one time. I used it to pull a stupid guy that took his pickup way back in the bush, was stuck for 2 days and had no phone or shovel. i was extremely surprised i pulled him out. Also the thing is, if you are pulling straight through a mud hole, 2500 pounds would be plenty for your scrambler. its when your front wheels get stuck on an edge, or some other barrier that the winch may power out. Also i like the durability of the steel cable. Personally when i ride mud i always wear a pair of leather work gloves, not fancy quad gloves because i know i will be using my winch. with the steel cable you dont have to worry about it getting cut on a tree in the event you get caught in a tight situation. we all know how twisted and stupid things can get in the mud, and i like the steel for durablitiy. just dont let run through your hand when spooling it in!:eek: just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

94fordguy

Well I think we covered the first part of the topic very well:beer::beer::beer:... but not really the second part.

Does anybody with a scrambler have a winch on the front end that could post up a picture?

I know there's a few scrambler owners on this site... surely SOMEBODY must have done this already?:D:beer:

Top Bottom