Lay Offs

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't count on EI. I paid into it for 26 years and never used it. Laid off in July and they wouldn't cover me until November. So check it out ASAP if you're getting laid off so you know what you will and won't get.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Exactly , over 30 years of paying and they covered me for 26 weeks , not the 52 that they said I was entitled to .

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Had a conversation with someone from the EIA office, what they say is, whatever your entitled to is dependant on your region and unemployment rate. It also determines how many hours you have to work to get full benefits.

Maritimes only have to work 400 hours before they're entitled to the full maximum benefits from EI.
For my region it's 760 hours, and maximum benefits is only 36 weeks.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a conversation with someone from the EIA office, what they say is, whatever your entitled to is dependant on your region and unemployment rate. It also determines how many hours you have to work to get full benefits.

Maritimes only have to work 400 hours before they're entitled to the full maximum benefits from EI.

Several additional factors including max annual benefit relative to salary already received in the year and severance. Many are not entitled to any EI no matter what they paid into the system.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

Several additional factors including max annual benefit relative to salary already received in the year and severance. Many are not entitled to any EI no matter what they paid into the system.

This is COMPLETE horse chit!! We all pay into this "fund", yet really can't get any benefit back? The federal government may as well just call it Employment TAX!! Hands in our pockets anywhere they can. FFS, that just pisses me off. Sure glad I don't pay into that chit anymore. Even tho I did for 20 some odd years, and will NEVER get any of that money back. Ugh!!

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Liberals were talking about making EI fairer and making it quicker and easier to claim, and to get rid of regional limits

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think EI should be set up as a true insurance. If you have never made a claim your premiums should shrink to nothing. If you use it as a financial planning tool then your premiums should reflect that as well. Just like car insurance. This might encourage a little more personal responsibility instead of the entitlement mentality that it creates now. Instead of paying ridiculous premiums into it all your life to fund people that abuse it, have premiums quickly shrink once you have "paid your dues". So now when the average hard working guy gets laid off he will have a decision to make......do I live off my savings, or do I have no other choice but to apply for EI, knowing that it will reset your premiums to a higher amount. The nice thing about doing it this way is it wouldnt be too hard to set it up in a manner where it would only be used by people that truly have no other choice. And I think that is great to have systems like that. Its just a matter of setting them up so people arent able to abuse them.

Last edited:

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is COMPLETE horse chit!! We all pay into this "fund", yet really can't get any benefit back? The federal government may as well just call it Employment TAX!! Hands in our pockets anywhere they can. FFS, that just pisses me off. Sure glad I don't pay into that chit anymore. Even tho I did for 20 some odd years, and will NEVER get any of that money back. Ugh!!

What is it you do that you don't pay into EI? Retired? Own your own company (not sure how that works)? Do you also not pay CPP?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
What is it you do that you don't pay into EI? Retired? Own your own company (not sure how that works)? Do you also not pay CPP?

I own my own company, yes. So they assume that I'm not gonna lay myself off, I guess. What would happen if I ran my business into the ground? No clue. I just know that once I was 50% or more owner, I didn't have to pay anymore.

Yes, I still pay CPP. And yes, if there is anything left in the pot when it comes time for me to retire, I am able to collect.

Stuck_to_deep

Reaction score
EI should b optional if you don't want to pay into it you cant file for it. I'm sick of paying into it and not using it then hearing about people being on it for year and half and not even looking for work. I understand some people need help and I am fine with helping people if you need help but guarantee half the people on EI are just to lazy and see free money coming in. I know this cause I meet people who want to get paid cash so they can still collect EI.

Any way just my thoughts I might be wrong but this is what I see.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they still end up with quite a surplus from EI contributions every year. Especially when auditors/case workers were given quotas by the government on how many fraudulent claims they had to find each quarter

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own my own company, yes. So they assume that I'm not gonna lay myself off, I guess. What would happen if I ran my business into the ground? No clue. I just know that once I was 50% or more owner, I didn't have to pay anymore.

Yes, I still pay CPP. And yes, if there is anything left in the pot when it comes time for me to retire, I am able to collect.

Thanks for the info, I never really considered that owners wouldn't have to pay. Makes sense though.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife is a nanny. The people she was working for, he got laid off. So naturally if the dads at home. They don't need a Nanny so my wife got laid off.

So if anyone needs a nanny. ...

And for the Millwrights out there I believe we still have one millwright posting at the Agrium Red Water plant. Phos side.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EI should b optional if you don't want to pay into it you cant file for it. I'm sick of paying into it and not using it then hearing about people being on it for year and half and not even looking for work. I understand some people need help and I am fine with helping people if you need help but guarantee half the people on EI are just to lazy and see free money coming in. I know this cause I meet people who want to get paid cash so they can still collect EI.

Any way just my thoughts I might be wrong but this is what I see.
Here is the counter point to that, the people who are foolish with their money and do not see the need for protection so they opt out, then get blindsided by a layoff, have no reserve funds and are screwed. They head strait for the welfare office. Either way they have an out, might as well collect from them in the form of EI deductions.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ezra Levants latest rant.........A bunch more future job losses at Shell

I am not sure what to make of this...

Truth or BS??

Yesterday Rachel Notley’s NDP released their attack budget. Notley promised higher corporate taxes, higher personal taxes, higher carbon taxes, higher global warming taxes and higher royalty taxes.
Do you see a theme here? She hates the oilsands. She always has.
Shell got the message. Literally within hours of the budget being released, Shell cancelled its Carmon Creek oilsands project — and the 1,200 construction jobs and 250 permanent jobs that went with it.
Shell had said the project was a “go” as recently as March, when oil prices were in the $40s. So it’s not that. What would make Shell cancel a project they’d sunk $2 billion into so far?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ezra Levants latest rant.........A bunch more future job losses at Shell

I am not sure what to make of this...

Truth or BS??

Yesterday Rachel Notley’s NDP released their attack budget. Notley promised higher corporate taxes, higher personal taxes, higher carbon taxes, higher global warming taxes and higher royalty taxes.
Do you see a theme here? She hates the oilsands. She always has.
Shell got the message. Literally within hours of the budget being released, Shell cancelled its Carmon Creek oilsands project — and the 1,200 construction jobs and 250 permanent jobs that went with it.
Shell had said the project was a “go” as recently as March, when oil prices were in the $40s. So it’s not that. What would make Shell cancel a project they’d sunk $2 billion into so far?
the Shell thing is true, but in March they suspended future planned work at Carmon Creek so they could re structure bids since the economy was taking a nosedive. everything was bid years ago when things were balls to the wall out in that Seal Lake area. they wanted contractors that had won the bids to re do everything to get prices down. I know there were some unhappy people when that happened, so I kind of think Shell knew back in March that Carmon Creek was gonna be shelved. I bet they are just deflecting by saying the issue is pipeline capacity. $45 dollar oil just isn't profitable enough

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard a "down hole services/trucking" company closed it's Lloyd office today.
I don't want to say a name until I know 100%.I don't know how many people
work there, but they have ALOT of iron all over this area.

Top Bottom