Lay offs at the Coal mines

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like hard times in the Tumbler ridge and Chetwynd areas with the Coal mines laying off.Sounds like a lot of people will be affected directly and indirectly with the news, Any one from this site affected? :(

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not directly but a couple close friends are. Today was one buddy's b-day and got a crappy present. Went into work and was told to go home, and he's been there almost since the mine started.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks for your buddy.
Not directly but a couple close friends are. Today was one buddy's b-day and got a crappy present. Went into work and was told to go home, and he's been there almost since the mine started.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is that a smaller mine? I just got off nightshift and there still offering overtime at ours, I took some ot for the holiday Friday! double time and a half :)

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like hard times in the Tumbler ridge and Chetwynd areas with the Coal mines laying off.Sounds like a lot of people will be affected directly and indirectly with the news, Any one from this site affected? :(
Any word if Teck is taking any action with the market downturn?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teck's a lot bigger company that Walter Energy, but I doubt they're totally immune to the falling prices.

dragon 163

Reaction score
Lay offs and the bc government still wants to stop the pipe line which would create new jobs way to go

Justinvr81

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been contracting at the wolverine mine site in Tumbler Ridge for past five years.Showed up for work tuesday morning a was not allowed through the gate.Hourly employee were able to go in and clean out their lockers.We all knew times were tough and expected cut backs,but know one saw this coming with no warning whatsoever.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contractors are always first to get the boot from the mines here in the Elk valley, so far it hasn't happened

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
That is area is up and down like a whores drawers open closed open closed. Guy I used to work with moved from TR bought a new condo for 65K 3 years later when they shut for good never opening again(LOL) ended selling for 18K went back up when reopened and his condo was back up for sale for $99,990 he was PO'ed

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been contracting at the wolverine mine site in Tumbler Ridge for past five years.Showed up for work tuesday morning a was not allowed through the gate.Hourly employee were able to go in and clean out their lockers.We all knew times were tough and expected cut backs,but know one saw this coming with no warning whatsoever.

Coal prices dropping by +/- 70% in the last year wasn't giving anybody ideas as to the future of their job. Lots of foreshadowing in my opinion but then again hindsight is always 20/20

Justinvr81

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a contractor I was fully prepared to be laid off,but we had meetings just days before telling us our jobs were safe and no one was being laid off,to make matters worse , none of the union employees will see any severance due to them being temporary lay offs. They don't have to pay anything out for two years and if they call you back in a year and you don't take the job you lose it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a contractor I was fully prepared to be laid off,but we had meetings just days before telling us our jobs were safe and no one was being laid off,to make matters worse , none of the union employees will see any severance due to them being temporary lay offs. They don't have to pay anything out for two years and if they call you back in a year and you don't take the job you lose it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a union meeting on Wed(April 23 for all the employees of Wolverine. I have 7 family members who worked there including my son. You are absolutely right about the no warning. My son went to work Monday night and at 5:30am they called everyone in and said you are all done, we are closing till the price of coal goes up.
I feel so bad for everyone there. Brule mine got a 2 month notice, they are owned by Walter Energy in Tumbler also but Wolverine got no notice. Peace River coal in Tumbler should be fine for another year , they have a contract for their coal. My daughter and son inlaw work for PRC and own a house in Tumbler. I hate to see it become a ghost town again.

Top Bottom