Largest wattage for handheld vhf radio

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The leixen UV-25D after fully charging it and putting it on the wattage tester, my goodness they claim 20 watts from this handheld and i got a whopping 37.7 watts from this radio. It is very expensive though.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
Well thats pretty interesting. My latest finds are five TYT TH8000D 10 watt radios that are testing 13 and just above 13w. But the real bonus is the battery life. 43 1/2 hours as opposed to most Baofengs at a little over 20 hrs to 24 hours using the FM radio as a test source. 37.7w will have some people complaining their brains will be getting getting fried using those Leixens

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tested the tyt th8000D as well. I just took an arm load of radios, used the same antenna for all the radios. The tyt was even with the baofeng GT-5TP. I will have to say the Leixen is a large radio, the programming software is not very good and cannot find a way to put channel names on it. The Quansheng did very well also.. most will have trouble programming that as well. I was on the phone with my brother he has 5 or so models of radios, mostly baofengs except for one Zastone. The only radios that could reach was the Leixen and the quansheng. I did not have a tyt to test.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Batteries go dead on these things just sitting there not using them.

Top Bottom